Brand new CX-5 Turbo Vibration at 55-67mph

Let the dealer only solve the issue and if they can't then sadly use the lemon law to get out from under it. JMO. Ed

Im the original poster. After my second trip to the dealer (also the closest but still 70 miles away) they force balanced. Much better but still there. I can deal with it until I spring for new tires. Probably the Michelins. I think some of these vehicles have little to no tolerance for tires that balance at the higher end of spec. I think higher quality tires may be able to get lower on residual force if balanced properly by reputable mechanics (not sure that's the dealer).
I think you're likely to run into rough going trying the lemon law. My dealer already intimated it was likely a "bad batch" of tires and not Mazda's responsibility. And I read on some forum about someone who had the same problem and couldn't get it resolved. This is all assuming it's not a true defect in the suspension.
Ask yourself if its worth the aggravation and possible money involved in suing them under the lemon law vs springing for a known quality set of tires that seem to resolve the problem for others with the same issue. Good luck whichever way you go - would appreciate hearing how you fare.

Im the original poster. After my second trip to the dealer (also the closest but still 70 miles away) they force balanced. Much better but still there. I can deal with it until I spring for new tires. Probably the Michelins. I think some of these vehicles have little to no tolerance for tires that balance at the higher end of spec. I think higher quality tires may be able to get lower on residual force if balanced properly by reputable mechanics (not sure that's the dealer).
I think you're likely to run into rough going trying the lemon law. My dealer already intimated it was likely a "bad batch" of tires and not Mazda's responsibility. And I read on some forum about someone who had the same problem and couldn't get it resolved. This is all assuming it's not a true defect in the suspension.
Ask yourself if its worth the aggravation and possible money involved in suing them under the lemon law vs springing for a known quality set of tires that seem to resolve the problem for others with the same issue. Good luck whichever way you go - would appreciate hearing how you fare.
Ya I'm going lemon law. Won't cost me a dime, lawyer wont take case unless they feel its worthy, already spoke with one. I don't want to go this route but Mazda leaves me no choice. Tires have been replaced, along with rims. Not dropping more money into this car after just dropping 40k on it. Has 2200, about 750 it from trips to dealer. I got attorney general involved, which is free. Dealership knows my intention and I personally wont be intimidated by them. I find it amazing how a dealer can burn you but it takes an act of congress to get a replacement or resolution. I've owned over 50 cars and never had to deal with something like this. Dealer gave me a new car as a rental/loaner. Amazingly, same car but no turbo and drives as smooth as could be.

I suspect the driveshaft but, that's for the dealer to ferret out.
Car is still there since last Wednesday. No updates. Dealer has driven car about 50 miles according to app. The wife gets notifications all day everyday they are moving it. What they are doing, who knows. This dealer won’t do anything until Mazda tells them through their tech line. Dealership also was sold since I was there last time. They had car last time for over a week and half. Maybe I’lol get lucky and a meteorite will fall out of the sky and hit it! lol. Mazda can have their car back as far as I’m concerned. Think I’m headed back to CR-V, just not paying 4k over sticker like all the dealers in Pa want.

Did you try to change the Toyos? Its cheaper than changing the car in this market. I may be biased but I would always take a CX5 Turbo vs a CRV. My (similar) problems disappeared when I put Michelin Primacy. The oem tires are sitting in the garage for spares.

By the way the oem US all season 19" Toyos are mediocre at best for this car. Why Mazda still puts those tires on a 40k car is unknown

Last edited:
Dealer did change tires and rims. Since the original were put on in Japan and the new ones came from their stock, Im not sure if changing tires would help. I agree Toyo seems to be trash. The car sat for around 3 days a couple months back, outside. When we went to use it and got on highway, about a 2 min ride, It felt like we were on a cobble stone highway. Had to stop and check too see if we had a flat. Dealer said tires get flat spots from sitting. Umm not for 3 days. I agree with current car market , tire’s may be a solution but I’m not confident and don’t really want to drop $600 and be back at square one. My concern is a half shaft(cv joint) is out of balance or tie rods aren’t set correctly. It could be way out alignment from the boat ride over here. Car isn’t road worthy the way it is . I’ll update whenever we get it back.

Your driveshaft to the rear wheels is defective. Get them to change that and it will fix your issue. Then, change those tires out at discount tire for close to full value towards a new real set and have them roadforce balance them. They will work work with you and give you a good chunk of change toward a new set, plus whatever rebates are available on the new set. Imo you are overly dramatizing and seems like you have buyers remorse from the moment you signed the papers. Mazda will send out a field engineer if needed before this ever gets anywhere close to a lemon buyback. Also, All dealerships are pretty incompetent today with any skill or quality and good techs have left in droves. You have to be lucky to land upon a decent one who will get to the root of the problem and step up to correctly perform the repair. Mazda has no control over how a dealership handles their customers concerns, but they do have control on what to do in honoring your warranty and steps needed to do so quickly to avoid litigation. It's how a manufacturer handles a problem that makes your experience either good or bad and their reputation depends on it. Mazda Japan absolutely cares if you contact them. Mazda NA maybe not so much but still has an obligation and responsibility to sort it out.

Last edited:
Your driveshaft to the rear wheels is defective. Get them to change that and it will fix your issue. Then, change those tires out at discount tire for close to full value towards a new real set and have them roadforce balance them. They will work work with you and give you a good chunk of change toward a new set, plus whatever rebates are available on the new set. Imo you are overly dramatizing and seems like you have buyers remorse from the moment you signed the papers. Mazda will send out a field engineer if needed before this ever gets anywhere close to a lemon buyback. Also, All dealerships are pretty incompetent today with any skill or quality and good techs have left in droves. You have to be lucky to land upon a decent one who will get to the root of the problem and step up to correctly perform the repair. Mazda has no control over how a dealership handles their customers concerns, but they do have control on what to do in honoring your warranty and steps needed to do so quickly to avoid litigation. It's how a manufacturer handles a problem that makes your experience either good or bad and their reputation depends on it. Mazda Japan absolutely cares if you contact them. Mazda NA maybe not so much but still has an obligation and responsibility to sort it out.
So my family's safety is dramatic? Dealers must love selling you a car, drop 40k and drive it to a shop to start repairing things, sounds like a great idea. I'll make sure I call the dealership tomorrow and tell them Tchman2016 said replace the driveshaft, I'm sure they'll listen. I did tons of research for the replacement of CR-V we had and CX-5 seemed like a solid choice. Test drove another CX-5 before ordering. We were super excited after signing papers, it's a cool little suv. My wife loves this car. She doesn't highway drive the car so the issue goes unnoticed to her. If the car comes back repaired this time, issue is over. If not, it will get handled another route. When speaking to Mazda, it's difficult to get someone you can even understand. The only remorse I have is not turning around the day I got it. Felt it immediatly but thought it was the garbage roads in PA.

So my family's safety is dramatic? Dealers must love selling you a car, drop 40k and drive it to a shop to start repairing things, sounds like a great idea. I'll make sure I call the dealership tomorrow and tell them Tchman2016 said replace the driveshaft, I'm sure they'll listen. I did tons of research for the replacement of CR-V we had and CX-5 seemed like a solid choice. Test drove another CX-5 before ordering. We were super excited after signing papers, it's a cool little suv. My wife loves this car. She doesn't highway drive the car so the issue goes unnoticed to her. If the car comes back repaired this time, issue is over. If not, it will get handled another route. When speaking to Mazda, it's difficult to get someone you can even understand. The only remorse I have is not turning around the day I got it. Felt it immediatly but thought it was the garbage roads in PA.
1) It's not a safety issue. 2) You should always test drive the vehicle you are purchasing BEFORE signing papers which I take it you didn't. 3) If you want anything done today in this society you need to advocate for yourself and put the time in research the issue and present logical suggestions and resolutions to the dealer because they are zombies and as I said, most are pretty incompetent at doing something correct such as a simple oil change unfortunately. 4) If you cared enough you would pursue another dealer and more but you want to just call it a lemon. I could understand if they replaced the driveshaft and there was still an issue. Nobody likes aggrevation and dealing with nonsense but that's how it is if you want a positive result.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) It's not a safety issue. 2) You should always test drive the vehicle you are purchasing BEFORE signing papers which I take it you didn't. 3) If you want anything done today in this society you need to advocate for yourself and put the time in research the issue and present logical suggestions and resolutions to the dealer because they are zombies and as I said, most are pretty incompetent at doing something correct such as a simple oil change unfortunately. 4) If you cared enough you would pursue another dealer and more but you want to just call it a lemon. I could understand if they replaced the driveshaft and there was still an issue but you seem like boxer who goes down in the first round. Nobody likes aggrevation and dealing with nonsense but that's how it is if you want a positive result.
I didn’t drive car before buying, only a like vehicle. Car was ordered and when It arrived I just signed and drove. I agree I probably should have driven. Car has been to other Mazda dealers. One drove it, found same issues. Took every wheel off and balanced. One wheel came back as bad due to not being able to put into spec. That dealer called and said, “there’s definitely a problem with car, take it back to where you got it were done trying to make it right” This was the service manager. Another dealer flat out refuses to look at it because it didn’t come from them. Next closest dealer is 90 miles away beside original selling dealer. It is a safety issue, seems like you think you know everything but this isn’t the case. I’m not playing this game of going back and forth to dealer. wasting gas time and energy. I came on here to see if my car and other CX-5’s had similar issue to pinpoint the issue. I don’t need a life lesson or your commentary on taking responsibility for for making choices. Mazda made a choice to deal with Toyo or whoever and made something faulty on a vehicle and sell it. The responsibility lies on them to make it right, period. If that can’t be done, this is why lemon law was created. Yes, i want to know what is wrong with it. Yes, i want the car back but i’m not devoting months and months to car, it’s a car.

Keep discussions civil, please. If/when this isn't possible, disengage from the conversation.

Most people on here offer advice to try and help. Please keep that in mind.

There's three possible scenarios:
1.Your SUV has a large problem that needs fixed.
2.Your SUV has a minor problem that needs fixed or adjusted.
3.Your perception of this vehicle is not similar to other vehicles you've owned.

For me, the comfort of this vehicle was worse than I'm used to. 19 inch Toyo tires with the Mazda suspension made for superior handling and cornering but rough bumpy ride. I ditched the Toyo's and switched to 16 inch rims with different tires with high sidewalls. Now it rides likes caddy.

In order to narrow things down ... the question is
Do you feel the vibrations in the steering wheel?
Are they only slight vibrations or very hard?

Could be anything. Members have already provided many suggestions.

Could be faulty tires, alignment, engine vibrations, brake rotors, driveshaft, axles, etc.

Likewise, lawsuits take time and money. You're the small customer versus the big corporation that have big pockets. Any product lawsuit has to provide the defendant the ample opportunity to evaluate, fix and remedy the situation prior to filing the lawsuit.(with exceptions being injuries/fatalities caused by product , etc.)

We haven't driven your car so we don't know how bad these vibrations are.

Have you had these problems evaluated by an independent mechanic yet? You need to have experts on your side to testify what's wrong with the vehicle. So you will need to pay a mechanic. What is the Indy mechanic tells you there nothing wrong? Most lawyers want $$ upfront for lawsuits unless it's slam dunk high profile big money case at which point they want a large percentage.

Try to resolve this with Mazda and the dealership first and explain when , where and how the vibrations occur and feel. Do they occur only at certain speeds? Tell them that as well.

Good luck and try to remember that members here are trying to help.

Last edited:
Most people on here offer advice to try and help. Please keep that in mind.

There's three possible scenarios:
1.Your SUV has a large problem that needs fixed.
2.Your SUV has a minor problem that needs fixed or adjusted.
3.Your perception of this vehicle is not similar to other vehicles you've owned.

For me, the comfort of this vehicle was worse than I'm used to. 19 inch Toyo tires with the Mazda suspension made for superior handling and cornering but rough bumpy ride. I ditched the Toyo's and switched to 16 inch rims with different tires with high sidewalls. Now it rides likes caddy.

In order to narrow things down ... the question is
Do you feel the vibrations in the steering wheel?
Are they only slight vibrations or very hard?

Could be anything. Members have already provided many suggestions.

Could be faulty tires, alignment, engine vibrations, brake rotors, driveshaft, axles, etc.

Likewise, lawsuits take time and money. You're the small customer versus the big corporation that have big pockets. Any product lawsuit has to provide the defendant the ample opportunity to evaluate, fix and remedy the situation prior to filing the lawsuit.(with exceptions being injuries/fatalities caused by product , etc.)

We haven't driven your car so we don't know how bad these vibrations are.

Have you had these problems evaluated by an independent mechanic yet? You need to have experts on your side to testify what's wrong with the vehicle. So you will need to pay a mechanic. What is the Indy mechanic tells you there nothing wrong? Most lawyers want $$ upfront for lawsuits unless it's slam dunk high profile big money case at which point they want a large percentage.

Try to resolve this with Mazda and the dealership first and explain when , where and how the vibrations occur and feel. Do they occur only at certain speeds? Tell them that as well.

Good luck and try to remember that members here are trying to help.
I do appreciate if someone is trying to help but calling me dramatic and saying that I just have buyers remorse is completely uncalled for. salesman that I bought the Are Rob is actually the person who suggested lemon law due to it being back at the dealer so many times and not being resolved.I spoke with dealer today they have completely switch rims and tires again and it did not help. They are requesting mazda replace all the tires with A different brand. The safety of my family is my main concern, nothing else. I will disengage from this Conversation as it has gotten me no further than where I began.

I'm sorry but I call it as I see it and your conversation context spells it out. Someone who has the mindset of declaring a lemon has typically already made up their mind and any suggestion by others that contradicts that decision invokes cognitive dissonance and agitation. In any case, suggestions have been made and you can do as you wish. There will be no further posts from me in this thread. Good luck however.

I do appreciate if someone is trying to help but calling me dramatic and saying that I just have buyers remorse is completely uncalled for. salesman that I bought the Are Rob is actually the person who suggested lemon law due to it being back at the dealer so many times and not being resolved.I spoke with dealer today they have completely switch rims and tires again and it did not help. They are requesting mazda replace all the tires with A different brand. The safety of my family is my main concern, nothing else. I will disengage from this Conversation as it has gotten me no further than where I began.

Hopefully switching to a different brand will help. For a while it seemed that some owners had tires that would develop flat spots overnight, but this would only be applicable if the vibration was reduced on longer drives. It seems that others have had success in resolving similar issues by going to Michelin tires, as they seem to be of a higher quality.

If new tires from a different brand don't resolve the issue, it could be due to an issue with the driveshaft. I thought I had read about someone resolving their vibration issues after the dealer replaced their driveshaft, but a quick search didn't return the results I was looking for.

I fully understand @kayzacknate . I had a small balancing issue (granted, with winter tires&rims that the dealership installed) that was quickly fixed, but I would definitely be unhappy if it was a recurring issue. I would also obviously want to get rid of it as soon as possible and get another car if the dealer(s) couldn't identify, let alone fix the problem.
I would call that a safety issue. One, well, there is vibration and that could be a contributing factor in an accident. Two, you don't know what it can lead to; especially if it's still there after replacing wheels/tires. I was uncomfortable driving my car when I had this issue (again, with winter tires and rims) so I understand the concern.
It's a brand new car, only has 2200 miles. It's wild that one of the dealers outright declined to help you with the issue. I suggest you report it to Mazda.

1) Get new tires from a different brand: Why would a new car owner do this because of vibrations? I understand if you want to swap for softer tires or something, but I am not paying a dime to get a manufacturing defect fixed. If the dealership offers to swap the tires with another brand, it's worth a shot; otherwise I am not paying for different tires. I assume OP thinks the same way.
2) Get the tires rebalanced somewhere else: Again, brand new car. Defective since delivery. Not only would I not go anywhere but the dealer, I would also strongly recommend against doing so. You're giving the dealership an excuse to say "oh you got the car serviced elsewhere they messed it up."
3) Rear driveshaft: I would mention this to the service manager, but they won't replace it just because you said it. They have to go through their own process to do that.
4) Going to an Indy mechanic. I would do that only if the service manager hinted at it.

If I have to go through a bunch of different shops/mechanics to solve a problem, why did I get a brand new car? (Let alone a manufacturing defect) The dealer has to fix it.
It seems like the nearby dealerships are "salty" that you didn't buy from them, and the one you bought it from isn't taking the situation seriously because you're 200 miles away. Either way, a horrible situation to be in.

PS: "Test driving YOUR car before taking delivery of it" is something I have never heard of before, especially a car you ordered weeks ago.

PPS: I would also work towards lemon law-ing my car after the issue(s) and the treatment you received at dealerships. I have 4 different dealerships nearby, so I would work towards getting the car replaced (with another CX-5) but not in your case.

3PS: Regarding how dealers treat you, I had an underwhelming experience picking up my CX-5 (which is also my first car) and when I went to the dealer to tell them about the vibration, the advisor told me "it's just the lane keep assist." It obviously wasn't, and I told them that. Second time, they kept my car all day just to work on it for 20 minutes. Things got better after I sent an e-mail to the service manager.
But unfortunately it doesn't matter if you go to an Indy or to the dealership, they don't do a good job when you're not there. And I think the dealer you bought the car from is taking advantage of that.

I've had a variety of new cars over the past fifty years. Two cars had vibration issues that the dealers could not figure out. One was a Honda and another was a BMW. In both cases, the problem was bad front brake rotors.

This was vibration while driving, but not (just) while applying brakes? Was it that the rotors were unbalanced?
I've not heard of this on a new car but I guess it's possible if the rotors were defective. I've encountered this with an older car with warped rotors and sticking(not completely frozen) calipers cause vibration during acceleration so it is possible under certain circumstances.

Back