Brand New 2022 CX-5 Transmission Problems? Updated!

I suppose I need to add a bit here. 2023 Cx-5 NA. Ever since it was new and when pulling out first thing in the morning with everything cold, the 2-3 shift would flare, then hit 3rd hard. It would do this for the first 2-3 stop signs getting out of the neighborhood, then shift perfectly until tomorrow morning. I walked in and personally discussed this with my service advisor at the dealer where I bought it. He told me even before I finished explaining my problem that all new Cx-5s do this and Mazda does not have a fix. Does this make sense to you guys? Are you with new Cx-5s observing this same thing? In my opinion, assuming the fluid level is good, nothing could warm up in 2 stop signs (say 30 seconds) enough to make a difference. It must be some Trans programming issue? But some sensor is reading something in that time and controlling the trans differently. Thanks for reading and commenting.

As a data point, I've noticed with my FORscan app, the temperature at which my transmission switches from slipping to mostly locked up is 70° F. It warms up fairly quickly. Current ambient temperatures around me are in the 30's and I'd say it's 2 min or less till my trans hits that 70°F mark and stops "slipping".

If you went to a Mazda dealer and "test drove" a new '23 just like the one you own, then (according to your SA) it should drive just like yours? Maybe test that theory out?

I suppose I need to add a bit here. 2023 Cx-5 NA. Ever since it was new and when pulling out first thing in the morning with everything cold, the 2-3 shift would flare, then hit 3rd hard. It would do this for the first 2-3 stop signs getting out of the neighborhood, then shift perfectly until tomorrow morning. I walked in and personally discussed this with my service advisor at the dealer where I bought it. He told me even before I finished explaining my problem that all new Cx-5s do this and Mazda does not have a fix. Does this make sense to you guys? Are you with new Cx-5s observing this same thing? In my opinion, assuming the fluid level is good, nothing could warm up in 2 stop signs (say 30 seconds) enough to make a difference. It must be some Trans programming issue? But some sensor is reading something in that time and controlling the trans differently. Thanks for reading and commenting.
I can confirm I've seen this in my rigs as well. My Mazda6 used to have an abrupt 2-3 shift when cold after allowing some slippage. It would do exactly what you've explained, it would slip a bit and then, once locked up, would give quite a shock when locked into the gear. My old work had me pulling out into a fairly high speed road when the car was cold and it used to happen every time.

My current work place has me driving on some pretty steep hills with my current CX5 and my '20 when I had that, when the car is still very cold, and I've observed this slipping behaviour.
I honestly thought it was because I drive like such a granny when the car is cold and the car was actually designed to be driven a little more aggressively when not warmed up.

I have the same vehicle with the same problem. Haven't reach enough mileage for my first service so I haven't discussed this with the service manager yet.

Bad 2-3 Shift, Fixed "Maybe"? haha. I found a procedure on u-tube

This explains and shows how to unlearn and set up relearn on the SkyAcive Transmission. This not the disconnect the bat trick and is a deeper level of fix. His explanation is not perfectly clear but I wrote it all down and did this to my 23 CX-5 yesterday. It took about three times for me to get it done correctly and get the engine idle response that indicates you did it right. Since my transmission only does this bad 2-3 shift first thing in the morning and when it has been sitting cold over night. The weather this morning was warmer than normal (in garage) but the 2-3 shift was perfect, every time. And the whole car felt a bit different. I hope I found a fix but won't be sure until I drive it on a cold morning a few times. Very happy so far.

UpDate, several 'warm' days later the 2-3 shift first thing in the morning and all day is perfect. Weather is predicted to be in the 30s at night for the next couple of days. That should show me if I have a real fix or not. I'm guessing all will be well. Will let you know after some cold morning tests.

Last edited:

This explains and shows how to unlearn and set up relearn on the SkyAcive Transmission. This not the disconnect the bat trick and is a deeper level of fix. His explanation is not perfectly clear but I wrote it all down and did this to my 23 CX-5 yesterday. It took about three times for me to get it done correctly and get the engine idle response that indicates you did it right. Since my transmission only does this bad 2-3 shift first thing in the morning and when it has been sitting cold over night. The weather this morning was warmer than normal (in garage) but the 2-3 shift was perfect, every time. And the whole car felt a bit different. I hope I found a fix but won't be sure until I drive it on a cold morning a few times. Very happy so far.
Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated.

This explains and shows how to unlearn and set up relearn on the SkyAcive Transmission. This not the disconnect the bat trick and is a deeper level of fix. His explanation is not perfectly clear but I wrote it all down and did this to my 23 CX-5 yesterday. It took about three times for me to get it done correctly and get the engine idle response that indicates you did it right. Since my transmission
This is my video and I'm glad it's helped so far. I made it on the spur of the moment at the request of someone on the forums and I should have been more clear in some spots😂.

This is my video and I'm glad it's helped so far. I made it on the spur of the moment at the request of someone on the forums and I should have been more clear in some spots😂.
sinistriel@ Happy you saw and jumped in. In no way was I trying to take credit for you fine work. I am very happy you did this because so far after doing your procedure (have not had any cold mornings) my 2-3 shift is as smooth as butter. Please keep up your posts. Do you have any videos about exactly what the transmission is doing during the relearn process. Do you recommend doing this unlearn/relearn process from time to time even if the xmission is working properly. (Fear of, if it isn't broken, don't fix it?). Is it just monitoring it's own internal pressures and actions or is it actually taking input about how easy or aggressively you are driving? Thanks Tom

sinistriel@ Happy you saw and jumped in. In no way was I trying to take credit for you fine work. I am very happy you did this because so far after doing your procedure (have not had any cold mornings) my 2-3 shift is as smooth as butter. Please keep up your posts. Do you have any videos about exactly what the transmission is doing during the relearn process. Do you recommend doing this unlearn/relearn process from time to time even if the xmission is working properly. (Fear of, if it isn't broken, don't fix it?). Is it just monitoring it's own internal pressures and actions or is it actually taking input about how easy or aggressively you are driving? Thanks Tom
It would be very difficult to do a video on what is happening internally. It wipes the learned behavior in the TCM to a fresh start with only the base programming remaining. When the idle rises there is a mechanical aspect that is happening. Inside the transmission there are pressure switches, they monitor pressure applied to the various clutch sets. Even though hydraulic pressure is very very quick in responding there is a lag time from one valve sending pressure through the various passages in the transmission and the commanded clutch set. Inside those clutch sets are springs that push back after hydraulic pressure is released. When the idle is raised during relearn it is cycling the clutch sets to learn how quickly the respond/release happens and storing that as a base number. When you are driving the TCM is constantly monitoring and adjusting from this base number. I reset the learned behavior on my own vehicles usually once a year. I've done it more often in my 3 due to ongoing ECM tuning dev.

There are algorithms inside the TCM to monitor how you are driving and it does have the ability to adjust to your driving behavior, its not very aggressive but it monitors what the car is doing. You'll notice this particularly when you're driving not in Sport mode and you get aggressive with it, you'll start to get some gear holding, and some quicker shifts. When you go back to normal driving it will revert to its normal behavior as well.

sinistriel@ thank you for your very timely reply. I'm a maintenance nut and really like to know what is 'technically' going on with a piece of equipment. Will be doing a xmission fluid/filter drop and fill at about 3K. My thinking is to get as much of the manufacturing debris and initial wear metal out soon. Do you have a preference to silicone or a formed gasket for the cover? If so, any brand preferences. I'm thinking OEM Mazda fluid and filter but and aftermarket gasket?

sinistriel@ thank you for your very timely reply. I'm a maintenance nut and really like to know what is 'technically' going on with a piece of equipment. Will be doing a xmission fluid/filter drop and fill at about 3K. My thinking is to get as much of the manufacturing debris and initial wear metal out soon. Do you have a preference to silicone or a formed gasket for the cover? If so, any brand preferences. I'm thinking OEM Mazda fluid and filter but and aftermarket gasket?
I only use Mazda FZ fluid and OEM filters in the Skyactivs and silicone to seal the pan back on. Gaskets can introduce an unnecessary leak point. Permatex Automatic Transmission RTV works really well.

How did you discover this if you don't mind me asking? Also, if the vehicle has had a PCM update since coming out of the factory, will this technique roll back the PCM to the original factory version? I wouldn't think the vehicle stores a prior version of the PCM but I reckon it is a question worth asking.

How did you discover this if you don't mind me asking? Also, if the vehicle has had a PCM update since coming out of the factory, will this technique roll back the PCM to the original factory version? I wouldn't think the vehicle stores a prior version of the PCM but I reckon it is a question worth asking.
I'm in the auto industry and specialize in drivetrain R&D, parts and tuning so I have access to a lot of information. It will not erase any PCM updates, will just reset the TCM.

I'm in the auto industry and specialize in drivetrain R&D, parts and tuning so I have access to a lot of information. It will not erase any PCM updates, will just reset the TCM.
does Mazda have a similar way to re-set the gas pedal (throttle) relearn mode as well? reason I ask is on some jeeps I have owned there was a way to do it and every so often I would do it and would always have better response afterwards.

I dont think so for the gas pedal.
This procedure is only for the transmission
re-learn and is usually required when the software of the transmission computer (TCM) is updated with a newer version or in other specific use cases. Everything is documented in Mazda service manuals and everybody who does software updates has usually access to those as well.
For the engine (PCM) its resetting the battery, which resets the fuel trims but the transmission is the one which has biggest effect to the general "feel" of the car. except in cases when the pcm has some incorrect logic.

or using mazda oem disgnostic tools for the procedures.

and to the person who mentioned they will do 3k miles transmission fluid this totally not needed this early.

Last edited:
How about the TCM, then? Will that software be rolled back to the factory version or would a subsequent update(s) be retained?

I've tried this numerous times and can not seem to get it to work on my '22 Signature CX5.

Transmission fluid temp is critical, do you have a way to monitor it?
No, I don't unfortunately. I've tried in a few situations where the car has been driven a good distance. So if anything maybe it's too warm? I've also tried after the car sat for a bit and I did a quick drive before attempting. Neither worked for me.
I am wondering if I shouldn't be holding the brake on from when I first start it. I notice in your video that you apply the brake as you begin the process.

Back