Brakes squeaking at 8500 miles.

:
2014 CX5 2020 CX5
Anybody else having this problem? It just started, they squeak all the time. While I'm driving, braking very weird. I'm not very hard on them, mostly city driving.(scratch)

Mine have squeaked since day one, but only first thing in the morning when the brakes are cold and wet.

Mine have never squeaked. It is a 2013 Touring. Could it be a change in brake pad composition for 2014 models?

Remove the pads. Clean the pads front and back with brake cleaner being careful not to get any brake grease on the pad surfaces. Clean the rotors with brake cleaner too. Apply fresh brake grease to the rear of the pads and pad carriers. Basically, any place the carrier touches the pad, and any place the carrier touches the caliper, should get fresh grease. (Use brake grease and not any substitute. No other grease will stand up to the heat.)

Last edited:
Remove the pads. Clean the pads front and back with brake cleaner being careful not to get any brake grease on the pad surfaces. Clean the rotors with brake cleaner too. Apply fresh brake grease to the rear of the pads and pad carriers. Basically, any place the carrier touches the pad, and any place the carrier touches the caliper, should get fresh grease. (Use brake grease and not any substitute. No other grease will stand up to the heat.)

This.

I would try several very firm rolling stops from 60+mph to 10 mph. Sometimes the pads get glazed from many slow dragging stops and you need to clean them off. Ed

Do you use the parking brake at all? Pull it all the way up and then lower it really fast. When I used mine the other day the lever was all the way down, and the light on the dash didn't indicate that the parking brake was on, and my car was squealing like crazy. I was about to go to the dealer when I thought I'd try setting/resetting the parking brake again and that did the trick.

At 8500 miles don't even mess with it. Take it to the dealer and let them spend an hour taking the brakes apart. Chances are they will replace the pads and you'll be 8500 miles ahead of the game.

Thanks, for the info. I may try the braking from 50 first. Then go to the dealer. well everything sounded normal today. ????

Last edited:
Mine started squealing about a week ago. Less than 2,000 km on my 2014 CX-5. Only happens sometimes when very lightly applying the brakes and almost stationary. Might be weather related, it's been very cold the last week or so (i.e., -20 to -40 C with windchill).

Annual Service Causes Brake Squealing Problem

So, I just took my 2014 CX-5 in for its first annual maintenance (only has 4,000 km...don't drive it much). Everything was fine until after it was serviced. Now the brakes squeal. They greased the brake calipers so I'm wondering if they've screwed that up. The squeal is quite loud, especially at low speed and turning (like pulling into a parking stall) and at slow speed backing up. Anyone else encounter this problem? I called them after I got home and they said it was rust build-up and I should do some hard braking to clean the rust off. Amazing how the rust could have built up in the span of one day, especially a hot, dry day. I'm going to take it back and get them to fix it. I think the mechanic screwed up. The dealer is North Hill Mazda in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

the brakes on my wife's mazda2 have been squealing since day one when cold... took it to the dealer and they can't find out the issue (i think they just didn't want to fix it)... i figured it's the brake pads.. as soon as my current ones wear down, i'm switching them out for some wagner thermoquiet pads.. i use those on all my other cars

Mine squeaked but only some of the time while city driving. For me it was quite minor so I did not bother to do anything with it.
After some time, the squeaking stopped. Perhaps it was related to temperature but I doubt it.
My previous car's breaks squeaked pretty badly, but only in cold weather and only for the first 2 or so stops, after that all other stops were silent.

Brakes are sensitive to temperature. Too hot or too cold can cause squeals and are considered normal. I had double to brake checks for squeals in the summer and winter than falls and spring. 95% of them I could do nothing about it.

Brakes are sensitive to temperature. Too hot or too cold can cause squeals and are considered normal. I had double to brake checks for squeals in the summer and winter than falls and spring. 95% of them I could do nothing about it.
I had a 1998 RAV4 that developed squealing brakes after I put a few thousand km on it and they squealed until the day it got totaled in the Calgary flood of 2013 (with only 110,000 km...I don't drive much). For me it's too much of a coincidence that the brakes were fine until after I took it in for servicing. Wondering if the mechanic didn't tighten things up properly after greasing the calipers.

You're right about the cold. When we had some -30 to -40 weather this past winter, the brakes squealed. Then all was fine until yesterday when the brake calipers got greased.

Last edited:
the brakes on my wife's mazda2 have been squealing since day one when cold... took it to the dealer and they can't find out the issue (i think they just didn't want to fix it)... i figured it's the brake pads.. as soon as my current ones wear down, i'm switching them out for some wagner thermoquiet pads.. i use those on all my other cars

From the Googling I've done, it seems like just replacing the pads with a different friction material might or might not work. Seems like greasing the caliper in all the right places and the back of the pads is the more reliable fix.

Keep in mind folks that brake "squeal" is nothing more than a high pitch vibration. Any combination of heat, cold, humidity, uneven surfaces, marks or lines in the rotors, piece of chipped metal or ceramic material in pads, etc. can cause a resonating vibration that becomes audible. Brakes are subjected to harsh environments and huge quick swings in temperatures. Lubing the pins, anti-rattle clips, and all metal-to-metal surfaces cushions/surpresses that vibration. The proper grease also helps control temperature swings too. Btw, I recommend a synthetic silicone based lube like Sylglide. I have used it for over 10 years and thats all I use on my cars and customer cars.

Latest posts

Back