Brakes locked up...

I've only seen that one time but the little guide clip could have broke it or the pad could have wedged into the rotor the caliper shouldn't lock up check your rotor for damage. Was your ebrake on? If it was parkd for awhile with the ebrake on the pad could have rusted to the rotor. All I've got off the top of my head need more info though

Well about 6 months ago is when I bought the car and it originally had no ebrake. The dealership then told me that since they were gonna replace the ebrake, they were also going to replace the rear brakes. Then Saturday I was stopped and had my ebrake on and when I put it back down and started driving, I felt the car feel more heavy and have more of a tug of war effect to it. Started smelling fire got out the car and sure enough there was smoke coming from the brakes.

Easy, your caliper is toast. You can try and rebuild it (mazda sells a kit) or simply buy a new one. Amazon sells rebuilt units from Raybestos for about $50 and so does Rockauto (for $10 more iirc).

If you do end up ordering a Raybestos part, call them up beforehand to make sure what you're ordering is the right one. They're catalog had the left and right side mixed up last time I ordered.

^He's right. It sounds like your caliper is locked. A new one or rebuild is the fix...I prefer buying a new caliper to rebuilding on. It's easier IMO.

If ya want really good brakes find sone msp rear brakes...i foyld some through a salvage yard for 75 each...cleaned them up and got em on....till i put mz6 brakes up front the msp rears are bigger than stock p5 fronts.....

I can launch someone not wearing a seat belt through the windshield now...FTW

I got a caliper and bracket from advanced for 50 bucks. But are the rear msp brakes really that big? How big are the fronts?

The msp rotors are about an inch bigger in diameter then the stock p5 front rotors....the mz6 front rotors are close to 2 inches bigger then the stock p5 fronts

Keep in mind that if you do go with bigger brakes you'll be limiting what size rims you can use on your car. For example, if you have 15" winter rims I'm not sure they'll clear the mz6 calipers.

I got an mp3 17" racing harts I'm sure I got enough room. What would be a good estimate on msp rotors pads caliper and dust shield?

Use car-part.com and find the calipers at a salvage yard unless ya find a pair on here...make sure you get the mounting brackets...basic rotors are ~30 a piece...most auto places hace the rear pads listed as the ones for a p5 so they wont work. I found mine at o'reileys for ~40

id rather just buy them new junk yard brakes just doesnt sound right to me but i know that mazda wants 110 bucks for just the bracket for my car which is beyond rediculous imo ill just look it up when i have time and sorry for the thread jacking btw

Back