Brake problems, need help

tweakingmsp

:
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege
I'm having some issues with my brakes. First off, my left rear caliper is starting to seize up a little. When the car is jacked up, I can barely spin the wheel when the e-brake is off. Now my left front caliper is starting to act up, it is rubbing real bad, and starting to squeal. It gets pretty hot after like a 5 mile drive. Is there something that would cause my left side to seize up?

Also, my e-brake is only working on the left side. The right side spins freely when the e-brake is on. And the left side grips, but not that much. What do you guys think the problem is? E-brake cables?

The rear calipers on our cars have been a problem in most cases. 9 out of 10 times calipers fail due to a collapsed brake hose which in turn do not allow the piston to retract fully after brake pressure is applied. When this happens the pad is constantly rubbing the rotor creating high heat causing the caliper to sieze up. I would recommend for you to replace your brake hose and while the caliper is off to rebuild the caliper. Chances are the dust shield is torn/busted. Even a caliper that is seized can be honed with the proper honing stone. Flush your brake fluid as well. Also, any time you do a brake job make sure you depressurize your ABS unit by pumping the brake pedal a minimum of 40 times to retract the valves in the ABS valvebody alowing the brake fluid to travel easier. Make sure to always leave the key in the off position during a brake job from start to finish.

Back