boostracer Poor Teenager Budget Build

I took out the two screws in the footwell, and took the center console off. Then I took the shift boot off and got to the silver shifter extension. What I did was take a lighter and melt the glue under the extension by holding the lighter under it.
The extension looks like a silver cylinder under where the shift knob is. Then I took some channel locks and started twisting to the left until it broke loose. Then I kept loosening it until it came off. Scrape the rubber off of where the extension was, wrap the metal in electric tape, and attach your new shift knob.
I'll nab some pictures of what to do and where tomorrow to help out my explanation, but that's the general jist of it.

Got it done! Thanks guys for idea and help! Shifter looks a lot better now! That silicone stuff was crazy though. Had to take propane torch to it. A lighter was not cutting it. But I got it done and works great!

Went for a drive with my brother today, and took him out on some of the awesome curvy roads around my area.

IMG_20130203_133922_zps957e1a2f.jpg

2013-02-03_12-31-57_509_zps779b53a8.jpg

I know the protege is filthy but its either been too cold or rainy to wash it. I'm slowly starting to like my protege more and more.

Last edited:
you will like it even more once you start modding it more. Nice to see people still have love for the protege

Got my tax returns, and went and bought the new wheel bearings, along with a CorkSport strut tower bar. I have an appointment at the muffler shop Monday morning to get my exhaust put on, so I'll have a few improvements coming soon.

As a silver ES owner who wants to go a similar direction, keep up the good work man!

As a silver ES owner who wants to go a similar direction, keep up the good work man!

Thanks man!
I am in need of new shifter bushings... Any recommendations?
I was thinking about going with the CorkSport shifter bushings but I figured I'd do my research first.

Turns out that CorkSport is out of stock on the tower bar, so I'm cancelling my order and I'll try to find another one. Maybe I'll go for a P5 tower bar or something. I dunno.

Got my exhaust put on today, and I ******* love the sound of my car now. Re-tinted the tails too, and haven't gotten a bother from the cops yet.

2013-02-11_17-48-02_77_zps475cf490.jpg

2013-02-11_17-48-33_137_zps1f13c29a.jpg

I'm still waiting on my wheel bearings. The order got slowed down thanks to winter storm Nemo.

These came in today. Making an appointment Tuesday to get them put in since I don't feel comfortable enough with my mechanic abilities to do it myself. Just in time too, cuz they've gotten noticeably worse in the last few weeks.
2013-02-16_01-48-48_454_zps5c73e6f2.jpg

I was gonna take more pictures than this, but things came up tonight and barred me from having a little photo shoot. Maybe tomorrow.
2013-02-15_20-20-23_332_zps26ba7881.jpg

Hey man, you need a set of OBX headers! Changed the sound of my protege and added a good amount of pep too (180$ ebay). I'd say the best and cheapest mod was getting the Protege MP3 ECU off of Spicey Ornge on this forum. 10hp and 10ft/lbs for 150$, and the throttle response was amazing! The OBX under drive pulley (80$) was a wicked addition too. I noticed those mods under my foot alot, with a cat-back, CAI and the FS-ZE cams from corksport....memories....I have a Speed3 now but I miss my old protege sometimes...

Hey man, you need a set of OBX headers! Changed the sound of my protege and added a good amount of pep too (180$ ebay). I'd say the best and cheapest mod was getting the Protege MP3 ECU off of Spicey Ornge on this forum. 10hp and 10ft/lbs for 150$, and the throttle response was amazing! The OBX under drive pulley (80$) was a wicked addition too. I noticed those mods under my foot alot, with a cat-back, CAI and the FS-ZE cams from corksport....memories....I have a Speed3 now but I miss my old protege sometimes...
Headers and an under drive pulley will probably be the next additions to my Protege once I get the money saved up.

Some more pictures. The weather cleared up some around here.

2013-02-16_17-08-02_754_zpsb9975b14.jpg

2013-02-16_17-09-39_131_zps896e8f59.jpg

2013-02-16_16-56-49_435_zpsfd4e5343.jpg

Currently debating on how much more money I want to put into this car.. I like my Protege... but I just don't love it like I loved the Fiero I owned. I dunno, I guess the Fiero spoiled me and I don't want to adjust for some reason.

In an effort to get myself to start loving this car, I took it for a long drive on the mountain roads on the outskirts of town. I guess what I'm missing in this car that I had in the Fiero, was the insanity. I went and pushed the Protege as far as I dared and really got a kick out of it.
I got a new front badge today, and painted it flat black. I think it looks sick. (Sorry for the bad pic)
2013-03-06_22-04-35_397_zps7e4fff94.jpg

Added MP3 ECU and better seats to my list of future mods.

Last edited:
Man I really need to spray my wheels...

How much of a HP gain does the MP3 ECU make? I searched around and couldn't find anything.

Man I really need to spray my wheels...

How much of a HP gain does the MP3 ECU make? I searched around and couldn't find anything.

Its's supposed to make a 10hp 10 ft-lbs of torque gain, along with a smoother power band from what I hear.

Back