boost leak tester

dkswim

:
MAZDASPEED 3
has anyone made one are even done a boost leek check on there MS3??? Im starting to gather up all the parts to make mine so i can do a leak check. Yes i know i only have 1000 miles on it but there is alyays going to be a small leak here and there that a zip tie or a screwdriver can fix. Once i get it all together ill post some pics and instructions.

not a boost guage, the tubing that you hook up to the front of the turbo and presurize turbo back to heads and listen for leaks.

not a boost guage, the tubing that you hook up to the front of the turbo and presurize turbo back to heads and listen for leaks.

if you buy a boost gauge that also has vacuum reading on it and you turn the car on you will be able to tell if there are any leaks by reading the vac settings.

That’s roughly how im doing it, ill use a valve and a pressure gauge using regular pneumatic fittings so I just hook up directly to air compressor. Im using this method so i can check for leaks while simulating a full load on engine. that can't be done on a car thats running.

Last edited:
Thats roughly how im doing it, ill use a valve and a pressure gauge using regular pneumatic fittings so I just hook up directly to air compressor. Im using this method so i can check for leaks while simulating a full load on engine. that can't be done on a car thats running.
This is a cool idea. I'm making one. Thanks!

It looks like a pita to get to the intake side of our turbos to hook this thing up.I would like to make this and test my lines to see how they are working.I may have to go under the car and have another look.

I have found an easier way to do a boost leak tester! It also is very simlpe, other ways are prone to leaking after about 15psi but this one doesn't leak even after 35psi. The tester will pop off before it leaks.

First you go to Lowes and get a Quik Cap that looks like this:
boost leak write up pics 005.jpg

Make sure it's the black rubber end cap though. It's in the plumbing section next to the pvc piping.

Then go to Autozone or any parts store and get a valve stem that looks like this:
boost leak write up pics 003.jpg

Then get a fat washer that fits between the nut on the valve stem and the bottom of the valve stem. Like this one:
boost leak write up pics 004.jpg

Then push a hole in the top of the rubber end cap, make sure its small and so the seal is good around the valve stem. Like this:
boost leak write up pics 007.jpg

Then put on the washer and tighten the bolt down on top of the washer.
boost leak write up pics 011.jpg

You can put another washer on the other side of the cap between the bottom of the valve stem and the end cap but you don't have to. That's for later when you have used it 100 times and left it out side 100 more like I have. The tester I made about 3 years ago has lasted till now and has been used by me and my friends on all our turbo cars. Most turbo inlets are 2" but some are different sizes and Lowes has many other sizes and adapters for what ever size you need. This has been the best tester I have seen and is way cheaper then buying one for $30.00.

This tool is your best friend and can be one of the best mods you ever bought if you have a huge boost leak.

-Brian-

if you buy a boost gauge that also has vacuum reading on it and you turn the car on you will be able to tell if there are any leaks by reading the vac settings.

Not always. Leaks can seal under vaccum. I've seen people with other cars only leak above a certain pressure.

Be sure to put a regulator on your air coming in. I capped off my intake pipe after pulling it off my throttle body and the valve where my turbo was connected at 20psi on my regulator.

Then I did 12psi at my throttle body to check for leaks at my manifold and around my injectors. It doesn't seal entirely at the valves but it's enough to check for leaks.

Last edited:
Back