Blower comes on when key turned off

xray0272

:
Mazda CX-9
Sorry if this has been discussed. I admit I only did a quick search.

Our 2008 CX-9 has a new fun problem.............Park and turn the key off and the inside blower motor starts running at a medium speed. No controls have any affect, but it will turn off after about 1 minute.

Just wondering if this is a known issue and what would cause it.

Thanks!

Yes. Old problem and common one.
Two relays under the hood have to be replaced with new ones (by "new" I meant new design).
Mazda is well-aware of the issue. They can do it in a few minutes or at your next oil change while you wait.
Or, you can buy them and DIY. Search more for the part #. Each costs about $10+.

Welcome to the forums Xray, I had the same problem, easy fix. Pretty neat that the car senses the power drain and kills it after a minute, even though its annoying.

I had the same problem except it started with the second seat blower coming on. Happened intermittently for a few months, then started on the front fan blower full time. I read the previous threads about the relays, ordered two (figuring another would go), went to replace the one and noticed it's a different number even though I had ordered the "correct" number same as on the existing relays. So instead of switching in a new one, I interchanged the two relays in the fuse box on the driver side of the engine bay. Low and behold not a problem anymore. Anyone try this before buying the new ones?

Maybe I traded a good one for a bad relay and just haven't noticed what's not working now! I checked most of the electrical devices and everything is still working.

Do you know the name of the relays, I assume they are blower motor relays?

Yes. Old problem and common one.
Two relays under the hood have to be replaced with new ones (by "new" I meant new design).
Mazda is well-aware of the issue. They can do it in a few minutes or at your next oil change while you wait.
Or, you can buy them and DIY. Search more for the part #. Each costs about $10+.

Back