Bilstein vs Koni

wolverine_man

:
2008 Mazda3 S GT Sedan
Okay, I researched this before, but I really will need to replace my shocks this Spring. My 3 feels as though it's getting too floaty on the freeway at times. I'm looking at Koni Yellows or Bilstein Sports for my 3 sedan, which is lowered on the pro-kit. Please post your experiences and preferences.

I also have a 2008 Mazda, Mazda3 that has already been upgraded with Eibach Pro Kit Springs. Now 4 years later, I'm am in need of new struts/shocks. I had asked Koni why can I not use their new FSD dampers for my mazda3? Based upon their application guide, it recommended stock ride height suspension.
Koni replied that on some cars lowering with the FSDs causes them to ride on the bump rubbers and made for a poor ride. They also said that they have tried the FSDs on the mazda3 that they had in-house and found not to ride very well. Their recommendation was to go Koni sport yellows.

The one thing I was trying to correct for, was the harshness of the ride with the Pro-kit springs on my mazda3, coupled with the 215/45-18s that I use for summer. I had hoped that the FSDs would compensate for that. My experience with the Koni Sports ('97 2.0l VW Jetta) was that the ride was a bit too harsh even with them.

Since there doesn't appear to be a whole posted about the Bilstein Sports, what is the recommendations on those?

i would get the koni's, since they can be had for a little less $$$. both will likely out last the car, and provide similar damping. i dont think the bilstien's have adjustable damping, which would also give the nod to the koni's.

Get the koni's. I have them WITH sport lines and my ride is unbelievable. It looks like I'm lowered on coil overs but my ride feels stock.

There adjustable too. I recently adjusted the front completely soft and the ride is amazing. I had them on full stiff and the ride wasn't bad AT ALL.

I promise you that you will not be disappointed with the Yellows. i know I wasn't.

I'm using Koni Yellows on both of my cars as well. I have H&R Sport springs. Happy with the ride overall.

I too have H&R's and Koni Yellows and find the ride a little harsh. Personally, for my DD I want something a little less so.
As far as being adjustable, the Yellows will only compensate for rebound, not compression.
BUT, there is a new kid on the block from them. The STR-T's which are said to be lowering friendly and are twin-tube designed like OE's so they should offer a comparable ride. Softer compression, reasonable rebound.
As for the Bilstein's, I don't have any current information about them. Of course they are infinitely tunable, but that would have to be done by Bilstein or a suspension/shock tuning shop.

Back