Beware of Aftermarket Ignition Coil Packs

I recently had the ignition coil packs and spark plugs replaced in my 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring. Used aftermarket parts from Amazon (partszen). Four days after the installation the car went into “limp-home” mode and the dash showed “Forward Smart City Brake Support Malfunction” and “ Front Radar Sensor System Malfunction” along with flashing check engine light. Had to have car towed to local Mazda dealer. Subsequent scan showed three of the four cylinders were mis-firing with #2 bad enough to trip the limp-home (no throttle) mode. Cause? The scan tool pointed to the ION Sensor Circuit in the “new” ignition coil packs, which were either 1) not functioning or 2) were not of correct configuration for the engine. I had the dealer re-install the old OEM coils and plugs. Now my car runs fine. The tech told me they see this often with aftermarket Chinese electronic parts. He also said not to replace the coil packs until they fail—and then just the bad one. I was trying to be pro-active in maintenance as my CX-5 has 77,000 miles on it. Lesson learned: Do not replace the OEM coil packs with aftermarket version. Not worth the risk or expense.

Attachments

• partszen Mazda coil set.jpg
    partszen Mazda coil set.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Mazda CX-5 Malfunction IMG_8371 2.jpg
    Mazda CX-5 Malfunction IMG_8371 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
This Toyota ex-master technician would tell you not to buy cheap imitation parts (wherever it was made... likely China nowadays).

Personally, I would only buy Mazda OE parts sold online by genuine Mazda dealers.

Back