best shifter lubricant

jeffmsp

Contributor
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
well my stock shifter started making some noise so I pulled everything apart, cleaned shifter ball, went and bought tub of white grease from CT, lubricated the hell out of the ball and reinstalled. 2 days later its making more noise than ever. pulled everything apart again, cleaned shifter ball and this time used lithium grease on the ball. a few days pass, now shifter makes more noise than ever before.

what type of lube is everyone else using? Ive used both of the lubes mentioned above on other components and had great luck but i can tell you they sure are not any good on the shifter.

if there is already a thread about this somewhere please pm me link and kill this thread, my searches found little info on where to get lube aside from getting the dealer to take everything apart and lube or to use the lube provided with a short shift kit.

i did manage to go 175,000kms without a single squeak from the shifter until recently so I would like to find lube of the same quality/characteristics as stock.

thanks, jeff

well my stock shifter started making some noise so I pulled everything apart, cleaned shifter ball, went and bought tub of white grease from CT, lubricated the hell out of the ball and reinstalled. 2 days later its making more noise than ever. pulled everything apart again, cleaned shifter ball and this time used lithium grease on the ball. a few days pass, now shifter makes more noise than ever before.

what type of lube is everyone else using? Ive used both of the lubes mentioned above on other components and had great luck but i can tell you they sure are not any good on the shifter.

if there is already a thread about this somewhere please pm me link and kill this thread, my searches found little info on where to get lube aside from getting the dealer to take everything apart and lube or to use the lube provided with a short shift kit.

i did manage to go 175,000kms without a single squeak from the shifter until recently so I would like to find lube of the same quality/characteristics as stock.

thanks, jeff

i know when i bought my bM shifter a while back, they gave me some little tube of some kinda grey colored lube.. it's very thin lube.. kinda prolly like anti sieze...maybe try that?

i dunno, grey anti seize? like the stuff i used on my calipers? i have a bunch of that but i dunno.. anyone else use grey anti seize?

Back