Best OBD II scanners - Not computer or cell phone-based

I've been searching around and only find recommendations on bluetooth units, etc. I'm looking for a dedicated unit that connects to the vehicle only. It doesn't have to be dirt cheap. I'd like a quality unit. Thanks!

Do you want to install the display in/under the dash and leave it connected? I have an Ultragauge and it reads codes,etc; plus it displays various engine parameters as you drive.

Do you want to install the display in/under the dash and leave it connected? I have an Ultragauge and it reads codes,etc; plus it displays various engine parameters as you drive.
I'd rather not do that. The less things to see in the vehicle the better.

I wonder if this one on Amazon might be good?

Autel MaxiCheck Pro for ABS Brake Auto Bleeding OBD2 Scan Diagnostic Tool, with SRS Airbag, Oil Reset, SAS, EPB, BMS for Specific Vehicles, Software Lifelong Free Update, NOT Support All Cars​

amazon.com/dp/B07P621KR1

I just upgraded to a better, moderately priced scanner a few months ago. Wanting just the basics without ABS,SRS, SAE etc., I chose the Foxwell NT301 after a bit of internet research including youtube videos. Amazon had it (and still does using the 20% off coupon) at a good price and offered 50% off the Foxwell hard case if both purchased together, so the case only cost $8 ( it's still offered, check the promotions) and the scanner about $53. I also purchased a 5 ft extension cable for $9 (it fits in the case easily and is also on promotion) so I can stand in front of the engine with it. These scanners seem to come with approx 3 ft cables so it's only good in the drivers seat.
It gives "live data" ( it shows about 48 PIDS) on my CX-5. Also shows a list of common causes for a given malfunction, so it at least tells you some things to check when troubleshooting.

Choosing this level of scanner ( beyond just a cheaper price) was determined by the fact that I've no experience with ABS,SRS,SAE etc. and what good is the code and failure if I can't fix it. Just throwing out something to consider depending on your skill and experience.

I originally purchased the ANCEL 530 scanner but sent it back. It's 'faster' displaying data than the Foxwell but it didn't clearly identify which module (engine or transmission) was selected and had me wondering why there was so little info shown when I wanted to see engine data. The Foxwell tells you which module, not some incomprehensible code.I also questioned it's internal code database for entering a code and getting a description . I plugged in a GM transmission code (P1811--max adapt, long shift) just to see and it showed no record. Every scanner I've owned for the last 17 years, 3 plus the Foxwell had this code in the lookup library. Another fail for the Ancel 530. More research showed people unhappy with Ancel's support, if any , in the USA regarding updating the scanner online. Just something to be aware of if looking at Ancel.

AND I'm not trying to sell you on the Foxwell though it might seem like it. It happens to fit my needs and provides good value for me. You have your own criteria and budget. There's lots of scanners and reviews out there, so happy hunting.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to a better, moderately priced scanner a few months ago. Wanting just the basics without ABS,SRS, SAE etc., I chose the Foxwell NT301 after a bit of internet research including youtube videos. Amazon had it (and still does using the 20% off coupon) at a good price and offered 50% off the Foxwell hard case if both purchased together, so the case only cost $8 ( it's still offered, check the promotions) and the scanner about $53. I also purchased a 5 ft extension cable for $9 (it fits in the case easily and is also on promotion) so I can stand in front of the engine with it.

Where does one find the 20% off coupon?

I have a Foxwell NT520 Pro. It was the cheapest true bi-directional scan tool that I could find. It obviously does OBD-II codes, but it will also read Mazda specific SRS, ABS, TPMS, BCM, and TCM codes. It will also activate sensors, and you can monitor live data of one sensor at a time. All of this for under $200!

But, it's SSSLLLOOOWWW. I'm being serious. It can sometimes take a full 5 minutes to handshake with the car. Once it's connected it works fine, but on initial start-up, go grab a beer, it's going to be a while.

I'm a DIY, so that is only a partial annoyance, but anyone who is trying to make money is going to throw it straight into the bin.

You can have software for up to four makes. The first is free, each additional make is $75.

If I had to do it over, I think I would have spent extra money and shopped just a little harder. The Autel 808 seems solid.

Your Foxwell NT520Pro obviously has a lot more capability than mine, which is great if you know how to take advantage of it. I'm on the simpler side of DIY. Funny you should mention "SLOW". I noticed the difference after using the much quicker responsiveness of the ANCEL 530 that I sent back. It had fewer buttons too. But I didn't trust it and the bare plastic case seemed thin. At least the Foxwell has a little rubber overmold for more protection if dropped. Then I remembered that my Foxwell was about as fast as my previous scanners and I'm not in a race to pull codes or change screens ,so no big deal. Besides, mine sits until it's used on someone else's car or I just want to see live data on mine. My CX-5 hasn't had one CEL in the 7-1/2 years of ownership and my previous car of 10-1/2 years had only one or two, one of which was the famous loose/defective gas cap LOL.

Thankfully, the 'handshake' on mine is in seconds, not minutes, but overall it has what I want even if it's not snappy. Besides, Amazon has an easy return policy.

Before I bought my CX-5, I took my Foxwell NT520 Pro along, and with the owners permission, scanned the car. The only code it found was for a faulty Bluetooth module in the radio. Yeah, it even reads that!

The owner said, "Yeah, how did you know that? Sorry I forgot to tell you that, the BT hasn't worked in a couple of years, and I honestly forgot about mentioning it." She cut the price of the car by $250. Pretty much, it paid for itself right then and there. :cool:

Your Foxwell NT520Pro obviously has a lot more capability than mine, which is great if you know how to take advantage of it. I'm on the simpler side of DIY. Funny you should mention "SLOW". I noticed the difference after using the much quicker responsiveness of the ANCEL 530 that I sent back. It had fewer buttons too. But I didn't trust it and the bare plastic case seemed thin. At least the Foxwell has a little rubber overmold for more protection if dropped. Then I remembered that my Foxwell was about as fast as my previous scanners and I'm not in a race to pull codes or change screens ,so no big deal. Besides, mine sits until it's used on someone else's car or I just want to see live data on mine. My CX-5 hasn't had one CEL in the 7-1/2 years of ownership and my previous car of 10-1/2 years had only one or two, one of which was the famous loose/defective gas cap LOL.

Thankfully, the 'handshake' on mine is in seconds, not minutes, but overall it has what I want even if it's not snappy. Besides, Amazon has an easy return policy.
Before I bought my CX-5, I took my Foxwell NT520 Pro along, and with the owners permission, scanned the car. The only code it found was for a faulty Bluetooth module in the radio. Yeah, it even reads that!

The owner said, "Yeah, how did you know that? Sorry I forgot to tell you that, the BT hasn't worked in a couple of years, and I honestly forgot about mentioning it." She cut the price of the car by $250. Pretty much, it paid for itself right then and there. :cool:

Awesome! A $250 discount. You did well. Since it's been about 1-1/2 months since I fooled with it, I just now got back inside from plugging in the scanner. Well, the 'handshake' (tried 3 times) takes about 6 seconds and it's connected and shows 'homepage' screen of options. Since there are no codes I viewed live data (three times) and it is not slow changing to the next screens (there were 43 PIDS).

BUT, here's a question for you. I know the scanner updates data a few times per second so the values change but most of mine have a flicker to them that I don't remember. Things that stabilize or change slowly like the temperatures were solid most of the time but it seems like the actual numbers are flickering rather than just updating. Does yours do this. I hate to think a reliability problem has just surfaced on my wonderful scanner that I've been bragging about. Or my memory is not so good. Could be embarrassing. maybe I need to contact Foxwell customer/ tech service.
Please let me know. Thanks.

OK. Will do. I received it 2 months ago and have not updated it yet. Couldn't see any S/N or mfg date on case to indicate age of software. Thanks. Oh wait, I could plug it in again and probably see current software version first. I'll fiddle with this after taking a nap that's been calling me. Over and out.

Looks like a false alarm as far as the flicker is concerned. It's only in the live data mode that constantly updates a few times a second. The values change quickly. All other wording in different modes is rock solid. I downloaded the update software but it showed no updates available for my model of scanner. Doesn't surprise me really as 'burn date' is 4/25/21 for my installed software.

I wonder if this one on Amazon might be good?

Autel MaxiCheck Pro for ABS Brake Auto Bleeding OBD2 Scan Diagnostic Tool, with SRS Airbag, Oil Reset, SAS, EPB, BMS for Specific Vehicles, Software Lifelong Free Update, NOT Support All Cars​

amazon.com/dp/B07P621KR1
Would a device like this be able to set the EPB for pad replacement?

Looks like $198.60 on my computer on the US site.

Confirmed at 198.60:

find all the Thinkcar products here:

you can find PLENTY of sellers here:

129 being the cheapest as of this post:

some random dropship seller on newegg:

also an Amazon seller:

Back