Battery Replacement

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
Had to have battery replaced. Done by AAA. Tech assured me the only change would be loss of radio presets. WRONG.
I lost express up/down on driver's window. This being a 2015 that was the only express window. Still goes up & down. Also the mpg indicator is kind of wacky, showing me averaging 28.5 or so in the city. When the mpg indicator is set on actual mpg it seems correct. After almost 10 years of driving CX5's, I know that 28.5 isn't happening. Any ideas' out there in CX-5 country?

Last edited:
There's a procedure for resetting the one touch up/down feature after a power loss (like changing a battery). It's fairly simple. Something like open fully then close fully holding the button up while closing then a couple extra seconds afterwards.

For your mpg display, that shows an average since the last time it was reset. So, it got reset with the battery change and will still show average it's just more sensitive until you build up some miles again.

The battery change also reset some other things you don't realize in the PCM ... Learned values from your driving. Fuel trims etc. It may even "feel" slightly different driving until it re learns those values.

My CX-5 gets almost 31. 🤷‍♂️
Not in the city. I have a spreadsheet on my CX-5 for over 81,000 miles, and 307 fill ups showing fuel mileage from pump, and dash. So, I'm pretty sure what my city mpg should be, and it isn't 28.5.

Last edited:
There's a procedure for resetting the one touch up/down feature after a power loss (like changing a battery). It's fairly simple. Something like open fully then close fully holding the button up while closing then a couple extra seconds afterwards.

For your mpg display, that shows an average since the last time it was reset. So, it got reset with the battery change and will still show average it's just more sensitive until you build up some miles again.

The battery change also reset some other things you don't realize in the PCM ... Learned values from your driving. Fuel trims etc. It may even "feel" slightly different driving until it re learns those values.
Hey HyFlyer, thanks. Window now back in express mode. I'll keep an eye on the mpg as miles accumulate.

I've only owned two cars that get better mileage than my 13 CX-5. A 85 Chevy Sprint that had a 3 cylinder. Got an honest to God 50 mpg driving it like you stole it, I s*** you not. That and my 02 Civic that got 37 if I really tried. 33 normal driving.

I've only owned two cars that get better mileage than my 13 CX-5. A 85 Chevy Sprint that had a 3 cylinder. Got an honest to God 50 mpg driving it like you stole it, I s*** you not. That and my 02 Civic that got 37 if I really tried. 33 normal driving.
I've had 3 VW diesels but I never kept track of their mpg, but I had a 2016 VW Jetta, manual trans, with the then new 1.4 TSI engine. Over 10, 248 miles my average was 37.85 figured from the pump, and 35.16 from the dash readout. My best in the Jetta was 44.8 for a tankful. It was a super efficient engine, and fun to drive. My wife was the one who wanted the manual transmission.

The stock battery on my 2020 quit leaving me very stranded two years to the day after new car purchase. Mazda where I am replaced it with a Willard. I hope it does better.

Back