backup and front camera - any improvement that can be done

:
2019 Cx-9 GT
Front camera is not so clear - is it the camera or is it the picture processing that comes on the screen - does not have clarity?
Backup camera are bad in the low light - I am not if it is with every car or it again the camera or the picture processing.
Can these improved with better cameras - any aftermarket solutions?

A nice car but these drawbacks takes out some fun !
Thoughts??

Totally agree on the backup camera. We just traded our 2016 Toyota Highlander and the backup camera on that vehicle was WAY better than the 2019 CX-9 that we just got. I do like many of the features on the CX-9 and it is a very nice vehicle, but the backup camera on the CX-9 has Much to be desired. Definitely not up to standards and very low in comparison to other manufacturers. I am hoping that they will release a firmware update that will make it better. You can get after market cameras better than the one that came on this vehicle.

Agree ... cameras didn't get any better in our 2020 either. The backup cam in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata blows this one away ... pretty sad considering the price point of the CX-9.

It speaks to the high level of quality in today's automobiles that the biggest gripes surround technology... in this case technology that is used for a grand total of 15 seconds per day (in 3 sec increments).

I *did* read... my point was that across the forum a high percentage of complaints and questions surround technology; in this particular case, the cameras that impact very little of the day-to-day enjoyment of these cars. (let's face it, you're not making motion pictures from the output of these things, regardless of quality; you just want to see if you're about to run over a child or bump a trash can)

What we're not complaining about: rusting fenders, flaking paint, failing suspension, fumes in the cabin, or death from use of the product: all things that were common as recent as the 90's. Even the "entry-level" brands and models meet these criterias. I was commending Mazda for making such quality products instead of expressing sadness at a minor difference in quality between it and lower value models.

It speaks to the high level of quality in today's automobiles that the biggest gripes surround technology... in this case technology that is used for a grand total of 15 seconds per day (in 3 sec increments).

I agree. There is no doubt that the backup cam could be improved, but it serves it's function just fine. It's a weak point, sure, but it's such a minor point in the grand scheme of things that it's really not worth getting worked up over (IMO).

my point was that across the forum a high percentage of complaints and questions surround technology

This is a forum. People are allowed to express their displeasure about an item or feature on their own vehicle without your approval. What you deem as inconsequential is obviously an annoyance to some, especially considering the price point of the vehicle and the technology that is out there. It's not the end of the world; enjoy your backup camera.

This is a forum. People are allowed to express their displeasure about an item or feature on their own vehicle without your approval. What you deem as inconsequential is obviously an annoyance to some, especially considering the price point of the vehicle and the technology that is out there. It's not the end of the world; enjoy your backup camera.

Take your own advice. bsaman was just expressing his opinion, the same way that you were. It was just a general comment, not directed at anyone in particular.

Not directed at anyone in particular? He's the one that chimed in about people griping about a technology that is used for "15 seconds per day". If he meant no offense, fine ... time to move on. But if you can't see where someone could take offense to his comment, and construe this as minimizing an opinion, then we'll agree to disagree.

the cameras that impact very little of the day-to-day enjoyment of these cars. (let's face it, you're not making motion pictures from the output of these things, regardless of quality; you just want to see if you're about to run over a child or bump a trash can)

I'd say running over a kid would affect my day to day enjoyment.

I realize that was a theoretical ex and not meant directly, but IMO the cam is important.

I did see the comment as characterizing the previous posts as inconsequential. After all, the word gripe was used. Of course, it's an opinion, he/or she is entitled to it. Did it add to the discussion? I'd say no, but of course, this is an open forum. Maybe I'm oversensitive, it wasn't malicious or anything i suppose.

I do see a tendency for people to minimize concerns when it comes to cams, driver assistance tech etc. It may or may not be meant as judgmental. But I dont see similar comments when someone mentions things like salespeople attitude, door locks, etc which are examples of a legitimate concerns but not exactly things that prevent overall enjoyment of the car. It's all ok to mention, if you don't like.

I guess some just don't care for tech. I do, and i appreciate the discussion of it and it's adv/disadv.

To each their own.

Hey man, I'm sorry. I wasn't planning on attacking your opinion. I'm sorry if I came across that way. I was just highlighting how good of a position we're now in, where the biggest concerns surround technology rather than the vehicle in whole. It's okay to have gripes; there are always things the manufacturers can do better.

That being said: if Mazda presented me with the option of 4k backup camera with 360 views versus better fuel mileage (or, god forbid, an electric option) I'd pick the higher gas mileage.

I was just highlighting how good of a position we're now in, where the biggest concerns surround technology rather than the vehicle in whole. It's okay to have gripes; there are always things the manufacturers can do better.

That is exactly how I interpreted your post.

Let's move on from this as it is straying from the topic at hand.

Vdev, some owners have reported that upgrading to LED reverse lights helps with the rear camera display. It's a cheap enough mod that is worth trying.

Back