Axle issues after curb hit

Andy fumo

:
Mazda 5
My passenger side tire hit a curb and now I have the wheel studs hitting the rotor. Got a new set of axles to install because car has 170k but now I'm hesitant to begin without getting a new wheel bearing hub if needed. Is this only a bad outer CV joint causing this or is it in conjunction with the wheel hub/bearing malfunctioning?? Thanks in advance. Link to video_ https://youtu.be/CiZjs1em8WA

I'm not sure it is a problem at all. Nothing is holding the rotor until you put the nuts on it, so it hitting studs in a not issue as this is what one would expect if the rotor is not fused to the hub due to the rust.
Right now the pads are holding the rotor ever so slightly and you get what you see.
You hit something, so could be just loosen the rotor. Put a wheel nut on it and it should not move.
Did you brake something during the hit, axel would be the last to bent, normally it would be a knuckle or arms or strut?

Last edited:
I'm not sure it is a problem at all. Nothing is holding the rotor until you put the nuts on it, so it hitting studs in a not issue as this is what one would expect if the rotor is not fused to the hub due to the rust.
Right now the pads are holding the rotor ever so slightly and you get what you see.
You hit something, so could be just loosen the rotor. Put a wheel nut on it and it should not move.
Did you brake something during the hit, axel would be the last to bent, normally it would be a knuckle or arms or strut?

I've seen many answers just like this but if you look in the video there is a difference between each hub, drivers side studs are solid and the passengers side is clanging around. I changed the inner and outer tie rods, stabilizer links and bushing, both lca and driver strut. I bought a set of axles and I'm trying to find out which of these bearings is clearly bad.

Sorry, can't see it on the video, in person inspection results might be different.
You can just replace the hub as it is a complete assembly anyway, so comes with all parts already.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
This way you get all the parts new and not have to worry about it.

You hit something, so could be just loosen the rotor. Put a wheel nut on it and it should not move

This. What you're showing in the video is perfectly normal.

Back