AWR header and emissions testing

upsman

:
'00 JDM converted sedan
Hey all,

As you know I have the FS-ZE in my car with the AWR header. I do throw a CEL due to the header. Living in VA we have to get out car emissions tested every year or two. The CEL will fail you on the spot.

Anyways lemme get down to the point.

I went and got the car saftey and emission tested today. I unplugged my battery for a couple of minutes to get rid of the CEL. I then drove the car around for a few minutes to warm it up. (CEL normally doesnt come back on for a couple 100 miles or so). Went to the gas station for the test. CEL was still off and passed the "sniffer test" with flying colors!!!!!!!

JDM FS-ZE + the AWR and passing means that EVERYONE with the U.S. engine should pass with a header on (if you car came with 2 catalytic converters...some didn't).

SOO get some head...ers and have fun doing it legally

wait a minute..you have a sniffer test? we get plugged into a OBD-II diagnostic computer..Wagner's header doesn't have a 1st cat so if you don't have both cats, your not passing..I might as well just buy an FS-ZE anyway..

SpicyMchaggis said:
..Wagner's header doesn't have a 1st cat so if you don't have both cats, your not passing...

wagner header retains ALL emissions equipment. It simply bolts to the top of the pre-cat. Look at the picture closer.

Tonkabui...We do have a visual test. The guy doing it may have thought it was stock or something. I dunno.

zmepro...I throw a CEL because the header gets rid of the 1st catalytic converter and there is nothing in btwn the 2 O2 sensors.

The point being, you will pass an emissions sniffer test with a header and the small 2nd catalytic converter.

do you have pics of your header looking at it from the top? i'm hoping by 2007, california would forget what my car's supposed to look like under the hood and let me slide.

They probably will- depending on where you go- your average service station that doesn't specialize in mazda's will probably glaze right over it..

I think you should do the CEL fix with the resistor and capacitor. It is my understanding that when you throw the CEL your car goes into closed loop (or open loop...whichever one is the bad one). Even if you reset the ECU it doesn't run at optimum performance while it is recalibrating itself and as soon as it recalibrates it throws the CEL again. I did the CEL fix due to my gutted precat and then drove to New Jersey. I could tell a major difference in power after I drove several hundred miles and the ECU recalibrated without throwing the CEL. While on the fun run at the meet a MSP owner asked me to pop my hood and was then suprised to see no turbo. He said my car pulled like a SOB.

I think he meant Tony... hopefully :)

TurboTurboTurbo said:
wagner header retains ALL emissions equipment. It simply bolts to the top of the pre-cat. Look at the picture closer.

So gutting the precat? Did you remove it and then gut it or gut it in place and let the pieces fly out the back? And more importantly, was it worth doing- since you drive it and the rider that you had doesn't.

Hopefully he removed it, otherwise the pieces would clog the main cat (wow)

shinzen said:
So gutting the precat? Did you remove it and then gut it or gut it in place and let the pieces fly out the back? And more importantly, was it worth doing- since you drive it and the rider that you had doesn't.

Yea, I removed it and knocked the honeycomb out of it and then put it back in. There is a slight increase in power, but nothing to get excited about. You will throw a CEL if you don't do the CEL fix on the O2 sensor. It was easy and basically free except for the $5 for the resistor and capacitor to modify the O2 signal. I say it's worth it if you have an afternoon to spare.

Back