Aux power outlet in trunk area

romclean

:
CX-9
CX-9 guru's - is there a way to make the aux power port in the trunk area of my CX-9 turn off and on with the ignition ? I mounted broadband router in one of the rear compartments with an external antenna... it works great, supplying Internet access to my devices in and near the car...but without an on/off switch I'm concerned about killing the battery if I forget to unplug...

Thanks in advance for your advice

CX-9 guru's - is there a way to make the aux power port in the trunk area of my CX-9 turn off and on with the ignition ? I mounted broadband router in one of the rear compartments with an external antenna... it works great, supplying Internet access to my devices in and near the car...but without an on/off switch I'm concerned about killing the battery if I forget to unplug...

Thanks in advance for your advice

Interesting idea. What are you using for your mobile internet connection? 3G enabled laptop acting as a gateway?

Buy a standard 30amp relay with leads at any parts store and insert the switched leads into the wire feeding the power outlet.
Attach the ground wire to the chassis, and run the trigger wire to the fuse box under the hood or behind the glove box. Use a test light to ID a circuit that only comes on with the ignition, such as the front dash power socket circuit. Then when that outlet heats up, it will also engage the relay and heat up the rear. It also keep the outlet on it's own fuse should you overload it.

I don't know off hand where that fuse is, but it should be easy to find.

Mobile internet how? - easy...

I'm using a CTR500 mobile router from Cradlepoint, check it out on 3gstore.com - works extremely well - good product. They are several varieties to choose from based on your application. The external antenna improved performance so I recommend that. If you can setup your home router connected to your cable or dsl modem, this thing is just as easy. The 3gstore people can advise you if your not sure what you're doing. For tech heads this is a must have toy :)

Thanks for the thoughts on a relay, as soon as I get some time I'll dig into it and post the results, cheers.

By the way, are you talking about using a 3G router to use your 3G network subscription and convert it into local WiFi in the car for 802.11G devices like a laptop?

Back