Auto or Manual

mjcxp said:
How do you put the car in "manumatic mode?" Like is Parking first gear or somethign like that?
There is a slot you put the shifter into where you can move it up or down.

Get the manual. Manumatic is not the same as manual AT ALL, except for the fact that you get to choose the gear you are in. The transmission is still a "slush box" and the shifting response is not instant - I personally find that frustrating.

What is your commute like? Driving my manual in a 1hr commute with stop and go traffic I do fine and learned to drive in a way that doesn't need too much shifting.

How do you put the car in "manumatic mode?" Like is Parking first gear or somethign like that?

It's just like regular automatic, but with an extra place you can shift to. (P)ark is at the top. Move the shifter down and to the left and you're in (R)everse, down and left again and you're in (N)eutral, down and left again to get in (D)rive. After that you can move the shifter straight to the left to get in (M)anual mode. There you can move the shifter straight up and down to downshift and upshift. (drive)

You could always just check it out at the dealership. My saleswhore was very generous in showing me the system. If you don't like it, you can just buy the manual instead (which I would recommend).

This is a very interesting argument here which I haven't heard enough of so far. Up until now, all the opinions I had heard was that the manumatic was just as harmless/ful as the automatic in terms of wear and tear. I presume if you're picking the wrong times to shift in the manumatic mode, then you're just as likely to make the wrong decisions in a manual, only the drivetrain is more closely linked to to the actual engine speed in the manual. As well, that argument would extend to all automatic; simply driving an auto would wear more (not just in mileage) and have higher maintenance costs than a pure manual, by your line of thought. I'm interested to hear more; Does anybody else have any opinions one way or another?
BeNegative said:
i highly do not suggest shifting the tiptronic device in manual mode...it is by definition still an automatic car and what you are doing is wearing out the car much faster than you should, leading to a slipping trasmission and i assume expensive repairs in the future. if u insist on something like that get a porche (as if we could afford that) because that is a true manual car that u can shift w/o the clutch (the car does the clutch job for you)

This, like most other choices you make when buying a car comes down to what your priorities are. If you want the ability to extract maximum performance from your engine, a manual transmission is the only way to go. Automatic or manumatic work on the same principle...sending engine torque through a fluid-filled torque converter that acts as your clutch..and the gears change themselves. It's a 'less direct' connection between engine and transmission, and there's greater horsepower loss due to fluid resistance and rotating mass. A manual transmission gives you a direct connection to your power, and you decide precisely what engine revs you launch at, and at what point you shift. (Yes, you can select your own gear shifs with the manumatic, but it's just not the same.)

Back to priorities: Are you a performance-oriented driver who occasionally wants to have some fun with your car, or are you just looking to get from point A to point B in comfort and relaxation? Your needs and your environment will dictate what you buy. If you do nothing but sit in traffic jams, I would say an auto is what you need. It is possible to negotiate slow traffic without shifting yourself to death, but it's an art you learn after you've got the basics down. Personally, I would never couple an automatic transmission with such a small engine. Off-the-line performance SUCKS, in my opinion. If I was driving a Mustang GT, I would probalby consider an automatic. I'm not an "all out" performance driver, and with 300HP I'm sure an auto could meet my needs in a Mustang. But with 2 liters and 148HP, an auto was out of the question.

Get what YOU think meets you needs. Don't go with what's 'cool' or 'accepted' in this forum...but one piece of forum-related info I'll throw in: There seem to be a considerable number of guys here regretting the purchase of an auto, while I've personally never read a thread where someone bitched about his manual.

One last thing....your sticker price will be around $900 cheaper with a manual, and down-the road maintenance is less. If you keep the car long enough to run it out of warranty, I promise you that you'll want a manual transmission. If something is going bad, a manual tranmission usually lets you know pretty blatantly. An automatic tranmission (in my experience, anyway) has tricky ways of concealing problems, and then BAM..you're stranded aside the road. No limping home...you're stuck - and the repair bill is HIGH. If you lose a gear or two in a manual (which is ususual unless you're very abusive), you can still limp the car home using the other gears. But again, unless you're in the habit of 6000 rpm clutch drops, a manual will let you know about problems before you end up stranded.

Happy shopping.

I insisted on two things when I bought my car....manual and A/C. I drove an Altima w/ auto for a few weeks before getting my car, and after a few days I was just bored with driving. I can't imagine driving any auto (unless its a big block from the late 60's) and every car I've owned so far has been manual.

But then again, I am a control freak....

D-rock240 said:
I insisted on two things when I bought my car....manual and A/C. I drove an Altima w/ auto for a few weeks before getting my car, and after a few days I was just bored with driving. I can't imagine driving any auto (unless its a big block from the late 60's) and every car I've owned so far has been manual.

But then again, I am a control freak....

No way. My Big Block muscle car would have a 4 speed baby. (or 5 speed if modded) (drinks)

just wanted to give my 2 cents...

I bought my mazda3 a few days ago (manual), and I didn't know how to drive it. Now I love it, of course I'm still not perfect at shifting, but I can get from A to B no problem (while having fun of course :p haha). Give me a couple more days and my shifting will be even better! mwahahaha :)

65racecoupe said:
No way. My Big Block muscle car would have a 4 speed baby. (or 5 speed if modded) (drinks)

Well yeah, of course manual would be preferred, but I was saying that a 400+HP muscle car would have enough power that I would be comfortable settling for an auto. (2thumbs)

Well, I test drove a Winning Blue Mazda 3 S Automatic. The Activematic mode is cool. I didn't know how to drive a manual and since he was in the car when I test drove it I didn't wanna ask.

You feel much more connected to the car with a manual. It's not just the stick--the clutch plays at least as large a role.

On a slightly different topic, cars.com lists the automatic in the 2006 as a five-speed. Anyone know if this is correct? If correct, and you've decided to go with an automatic, I'd wait for an '06. Especially with a smaller engine a fifth ratio helps a lot.

A real MAN drives a MANual.

So does a real woman LOL.

The 3 is my first stick, but I'm already hooked and I don't see myself being able to drive an automatic again. I bought it and didn't even know how to drive it off the lot so Tim (fiance) had to do it, but a few minutes in an empty parking lot was all it took.. And it's SO much more fun than an automatic..

I am for Manual

Big plusses for manual: Efficiency, sportiness, lower cost overall (I would add engine braking and control, but the manumatic can do that too in this car)

Big annoyances about manual: Atlanta Traffic. The fact that occasionally (1/month) my foot is faster than my hand when I am going into fourth (*click* *_GRIND_* "OH JEEZYS, I'm sorry Lina..."). Traffic in Atlanta.

I swear on holiday weekends it feels like my left leg is getting more toned...

Back