Auto Climate Control fixed at two-bar fan speed?

:
2021 CX-5T AWD CE
Hi, before I take my new CX-5 into the dealer, I thought I should get a read on whether something is "normal". This is on a 2021 CX-5 CE AWD Turbo.

Anytime I have the climate control in "Auto" mode with a temp set, the fan speed is always fixed on 2-bars - it doesn't increase or decrease depending on the temp set in the dial or the temp in the cabin. The only exception is when you dial it to "Lo", then the fan speed goes up to maximum and stays there indefinitely.

If this is the way it is designed, it makes the Auto CC pretty worthless when you get into a hot car and want the system to bring it down to a cool temp - you can have it set for 61-deg while the cabin temp is at 90 and it will not raise the fan speed above two bars - you have to either dial it to "Lo" or adjust the fan speed manually. Or if you're driving in hot weather and the fan needs to run at more than two bars to bring the cabin temp down to a comfortable level you have to switch to manual. I've owned several cars with Auto CC and every one adjusted the fan speed based on the differential between the desired temp and the cabin temp.

Does your car have a fixed two-bar fan speed in "Auto" mode?

- Mark

Last edited:
Sometimes I need to manually set the fan speed up from to the 4 bars on my 2021 GTR. Sometime the system is just slower to respond than I would like. Ed

Upvote 0
Hi, before I take my new CX-5 into the dealer, I thought I should get a read on whether something is "normal". This is on a 2021 CX-5 CE AWD Turbo.

Anytime I have the climate control in "Auto" mode with a temp set, the fan speed is always fixed on 2-bars - it doesn't increase or decrease depending on the temp set in the dial or the temp in the cabin. The only exception is when you dial it to "Lo", then the fan speed goes up to maximum and stays there indefinitely.

If this is the way it is designed, it makes the Auto CC pretty worthless when you get into a hot car and want the system to bring it down to a cool temp - you can have it set for 61-deg while the cabin temp is at 90 and it will not raise the fan speed above two bars - you have to either dial it to "Lo" or adjust the fan speed manually. Or if you're driving in hot weather and the fan needs to run at more than two bars to bring the cabin temp down to a comfortable level you have to switch to manual. I've owned several cars with Auto CC and every one adjusted the fan speed based on the differential between the desired temp and the cabin temp.

Does your car have a fixed two-bar fan speed in "Auto" mode?

- Mark
Although I never use “Auto” mode on my automatic climate control because most of such system are having undesirable and unpredictable behavior. But one major reason I don’t like is the system usually started with the full blast on fan speed due to the huge difference on temperatures between the cabin and the preset temperature, and the system wants to make its best effort to shorten the gap. The fan speed eventually will come down to the reasonable and quieter lower speed.

Yes I definitely feel your automatic climate control system is having issues if the fan speed is always fixed on 2-bars.

Upvote 0
Thanks for help guys, off to the dealer. If they say “they all do that”, then it will out to the lot to see what other 2021s do.

I honestly couldn’t care less about Auto CC (give me a simple three-dial analog control - mode, temp, and fan speed), but I do want features of my car to work as designed.

- Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks for help guys, off to the dealer. If they say “they all do that”, then it will out to the lot to see what other 2021s do.
Exactly!

I honestly couldn’t care less about Auto CC (give me a simple three-dial analog control - mode, temp, and fan speed), but I do want features of my car to work as designed.

- Mark
Yes, you really want to fix any possible issues you’ve noticed as soon as possible during the new car warranty period. Otherwise you may face huge repair bill later without warranty. My automatic climate control unit got replaced a week before the warranty ended due to the partial failure from fan speed bars on LCD display. That was a $1K+ repair if I didn’t have new car warranty!

Upvote 0
Back