Attention all 04-09 mazda 3 owners/buyers with factory sunroofs

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
After dealing with a broken sunroof for 4 days now on my own and doing alot of googling and tinkering with it on my lunch breaks i finally got my sunroof working again.

Every 04-09 owner or prospective owner with a car that has a factory sunroof read this

The story: On thursday July 23,2015 my i go to lunch and put my windows down and sunroof back to eat in my car. when i go to roll up the windows and close sunroof the sunroof stops at 1/3 of the way closed and will only go back and none of the buttons worked right. so i went to the dealer friday and they wanted to replace the entire assembly for $2300 and told me the only way to buy the motor was to buy the whole assembly(Complete BS) and that the only way to get it closed would be to remove the motor and do it by hand that way they wanted $500 just for that so i walked out. so tinkering around some nothing seemed to work

THE FIX: so i had found 2 screws missing(never found the ones that were supposed to be there) in the liner near the map lights and sunroof switches under the headliner these screws hold on the liner and that liner has the chain that moves the sunroof running through it and the motor mounted to it.
THE FIX WAS 2 SCREWS ON THE MOTOR ITSELF one was loose and one was not there (never found it either) replaced and tightened them down as tight as i could and whata ya know it starts working again.

my suggestion is for any owners or prospective buyers to pull the liner around the sunroof opening on the headliner and pull down your headliner (doing this allows enough room to see what you need) and check all the screws are in place and tight before buying/it comes loose. you need a very short thumb drive screw driver such as:http://www.titan-us.com/default.aspx...itemcode=11218 after googling this issue i see it is common on 06-09s but 04-09s seem to be vulnerable to it. many,like me never found any of the missing screws, they just seemed to never be in there or fell out long ago and are long gone

the screws are in the middle towards the windshield side of the motor the right side of the motor in the liner to the right of the motor and the liner to the left of the motor (the ones in the liner are/should be in the 2 holes closest to the motor) the other holes appear to be for different cars probably mazda 6 as i tried to put screws in and there are no threads for them in those holes.

I think my problems started after i replaced just the 2 screws in the liner a few weeks before this issue and did not notice the motor screws missing (as it allowed the motor to torque itself out of place little by little each time i used it as it was not 100% secure) however all of these screws need to be in place for 100% operation.

Last edited:
I used to own an '06 3 and one day a screw dropped out from the roof somewhere while the sunroof was open. It landed in a cupholder. I wondered where it came from, there wasn't an obviously missing one.

yeah i think they did not use enough torque from the factory and oviously no threadlocker so i threadlockered mine in to place (medium strength) so if i need to remove the motor ever, i can

Back