assistance pls

bazooka joe

No words
Contributor
:
92 & 16 Meyatas
my car is running weird today, actually started last night..hesitation on take off (a/f real lean, then jumps up to normal 14.7+-) and it wants to die coming off acceleration (did twice today)...idles okay though?

i'm running the mpi
reloaded my map over the weekend

my car is running weird today, actually started last night..hesitation on take off (a/f real lean, then jumps up to normal 14.7+-) and it wants to die coming off acceleration (did twice today)...idles okay though?

i'm running the mpi
reloaded my map over the weekend

looks like thats the source of your problem ;)

first off, is your vacuum the same at idle as before?
good quest. i haven't drove the car in 4 days, i'll be at it tomorrow/monday...that's the first thing i'll check!

it's weird because at times it idles at 14-15 afr, then drops out of sight lean, stay lean on slow acceleration and then as you apply more gas it goes to normal afr range...i haven't been boostin, don't wanna take any chances....i'll let you know what the vac reading is later

okay, checked the following (easy things first)
vac at idle 20
all vac lines, look good
cleaned maf
reset ecu

seemed to run well for about 1hr of steady driving...start driving home today from work get a stumble on take off again, runs lean off and on at low mph 25-35...get about a block from home and get p0140 code...02 sensor, bank 1 ckt no activity....i've done the o2 simulator...?

i haven't disconnect the mpi, i don't think thats the issue, just yet!
thanks for the help

u did the o2 simulator for the cel? check and make sure there is no problems with it.
i'll do that tomorrow...i might need a sensor, mine has 106K on it!
cleaned the IAC, it was pretty gunked up, but didn't do anything for my problem...(argh)...still stumbles, running lean, on take off...i think the p0140 is a give away!! we'll get this fixed, i'm determined..thanks all for the help!

okay, so i'm not getting any cels (had p0103 & p0140 not returned) i've done the following:

cleaned the:
IAC
EGR
MAF
O2 sensor (didn't look real bad)
changed out the MIL eliminator (home made to store bought)

still going real lean on cold start up, won't idle real well, stubles on take off (not getting any fuel my guess at 17AFR!) once i get the rev's up it's fine, come to a stop in almost dies and blips back up to around 14.7 afr, and seems to run better once it's warmed up?
any ideas, the last thing i want to do is to start randomly changing parts out. i am going to try a MAF i know is working well and see if that changes anything, i have a new o2 and it wouldn't hurt to change it out anyway, it's been in there for 6 yrs....my next thing is to unwire the MPI and see what that does? your thoughts? thanks!

i guess i should check all my hoses again, and that damn egr valve!
A condition caused by an air/fuel mixture that is too lean to sustain combustion. Lean misfire causes one or more cylinders to pass unburned fuel into the exhaust system causing a big increase in hydrocarbon (HC) emissions. Symptoms include a rough idle and hesitation or stumble on acceleration. Lean misfire is often caused by vacuum leaks or an EGR valve that's stuck open.

Last edited:
u should definitely do the easy things first just in case it fixes it. unwiring the mpi and then putting it back in would not be enjoyable.

Back