are Prosport Gauges okay!!!

tcrawford97

:
'03 Mazdaspeed Protege Spicy Orange
I am looking to replace the gauges in my car with something that looks more like the stock gauges and am torn between the autometer ultra-lite (with red LED backlighting) or the prosport. I know for sure i am going with Boost/AFR/Oil pressure but have heard of some accuracy and dependability issues with the prosport line. has this been resolved or should i just spend more money for the autometer!!

I had oil and boost on all my DSMs and they were great. My favorite was the Colbalt Gauges from Autometer.

I got prosport gauges they are not working, but that's because of installtion error not the gauges, and I like them a lot.

Yeah they're ok. I have their boost, oil pressure and water temp gauges. They all work fine and look amazing, but the boost gauge sometimes need recalibrating for some reason. And the gauges themselves feel kinda cheap and not durable, but they've held up for over 2 years now so I guess they're ok.

In the end I would say AutoMeter is a better quality gauge, but the Prosports will match the interior much better so it's up to you to decide.

And I would suggest an actual wideband for AFR though. AEM or Innovate are both pretty affordable.

Yeah they're ok. I have their boost, oil pressure and water temp gauges. They all work fine and look amazing, but the boost gauge sometimes need recalibrating for some reason. And the gauges themselves feel kinda cheap and not durable, but they've held up for over 2 years now so I guess they're ok.

In the end I would say AutoMeter is a better quality gauge, but the Prosports will match the interior much better so it's up to you to decide.

And I would suggest an actual wideband for AFR though. AEM or Innovate are both pretty affordable.

Yes use a good wb, please don't cheap out on that gauge......make sure it has datalogging capabilities. I love my innovate

I love my prosport...

IMG_0003-2.jpg

prosport does offer a wideband solution which includes a bosch o2 i think its the 4.9 heated and it runs around the same price as the new autometer wideband but I would want all the gauges to be the same brand and same color scheme!! also with the gauges I currently have in the car (Carbon Fiber Series water temp, fuel pressure, and electronic boost w/ peak warn) I would sell those and prob make enough to buy the Prosport's

Last edited:
I have the prosport boost, oil pressure, and the wideband... all work great. The prosport wideband is just as competitive as the AEM or innovate

I have the prosport boost, oil pressure, and the wideband... all work great. The prosport wideband is just as competitive as the AEM or innovate

how do they match during the day to the factory cluster, from what ive seen they are a dead match at night, just wish they had more variety for boost levels(will never be able to run 30psi with these cars). does the color change when you turn your driving lights on from blueish white to red?

i have the oil pressure and coolant temp and they work for me ive only had them in for a few months but i like them im going to get the rest later this year

how do they match during the day to the factory cluster, from what ive seen they are a dead match at night, just wish they had more variety for boost levels(will never be able to run 30psi with these cars). does the color change when you turn your driving lights on from blueish white to red?

yeah, the amber color is a great match at night.... you can wire it up to stay amber all the time if you want, but it is a bit hard to see the amber during the day. The white looks fine and is much easier to see. Wiring it up can be kind of tricky, but yes, they will turn from white to amber when you turn your lights on.

yeah, the amber color is a great match at night.... you can wire it up to stay amber all the time if you want, but it is a bit hard to see the amber during the day. The white looks fine and is much easier to see. Wiring it up can be kind of tricky, but yes, they will turn from white to amber when you turn your lights on.

I cheaped out on my wiring... I have both the power and illumination (amber only) hooked up to the accessory on. Didn't want to deal with multiple illuminations, and I really don't care about keeping my "peak/hold" for all of time. having it be for that drive is more useful IMO... and I don't care for the "warn" feature at all.

i have glowshift and couldnt be happier, i have the elite 10 color series in black, it has an orange color that matches the dash exactly.. only thing is its black background (i like it better but since your looking for exact stock match youd have to go with the white background)

dislike prosport gauges myself... i had a electric boost one and a afr. the afr was so pointless it was hilarious (my fault for buying it) and the boost sat like -2 when the accessories were on so i knew it was off. I know have the autometer boost and aem eugo wideband both are working perfect.

i know its off topic and sorry for thread jacking but whats the difference between narrow and wide band and what are they for

they are for metering your air to fuel ratio.

the basic oxygen sensor used on most factory cars are narrowband sensors. they do enough to complete the job of reporting back AF ratios and keeping the engine in safe running spec. the range this sensor reads in is from 0-1 volts where "supposedly" 0 is completely lean, about .5-.6 at stoichiometric, and 1.0 very rich.

wideband o2 sensors are much more accurate in a larger range of conditions. the range of the sensor 0-5v covering a larger range of AF ratios.

an analogy in terms of numbers, the narrowband would be like a number line that goes from 0-1 in .02 increments, and the wideband from 0-5 in .01 increments. that would sorta mean the narrowband would have 50 units of measurement in a small range of AF ratios, and the wideband would have 500 units of measurement in a larger range of of AF ratios. also, widebands have corrective circuits(i think?) that helps give better readings in a ride range of conditions whether it be environmental or whatever. this is absent in the narrowbands. in a nutshell: the wideband is VERY accurate.

so what we're looking at above is that the range of AF ratios from 11:1 - 14:1 read from the wideband lies in within .88-.94v on a narrowband. this would throw out the conventional thought that 14:1 AF on narrowband lies at .50v. it just shows here it's not true.

this might also help with general tuning with people who don't necessarily need a wideband quite yet. a wideband is recommended when going beyone basic bolt ons, and definately needed if you go to a custom turbo.

long story short: narrow band is a toy, wideband is a tuning tool.

if this was facebook i would have liked your comment lol.

asfar as these gauges ive seen them fail countless of times . we have customers complaining that bosst would shoot past 30psi at idle and s*** like that

Back