Anyone Using the Bootleg Carplay AA Kit?

:
Canada
:
2016 CX-9 GS-L
Anybody tried using it? I'm personally not inclined to, but just curious. I see they're more widely available than the real thing (maybe coz of recent supply chain issues...)

If you don't know they exist, glad to share this news to you! lol

You easily spot them by the price, typically costs less than 150 USD/CAD for the kit.

"Suitable for Mazda" is another giveaway, although I won't be surprised if they eventually start pirating the box and labels as well.
carplay.JPG

FYI, the legit:
carplay_hub.JPG

carplay_hub2.png

carplay_hub3.jpg

I've done this upgrade twice now and both times I've just stuck with buying from the Mazda dealer that's on eBay. Sold me genuine OEM parts both times - didn't wanna risk skimping out on the non-genuine parts and having them not work or go bad after some time due to cutting corners on the PCB, wiring, etc.

It is really just a usb hub and cables, so probably low risk but. It is quite an extensive process to install, there are a lot of trims to remove and working with trims too often just increase the chance of introducing creaks, breaking clips, etc. Like anyDude recommends, i would pay a bit more to increase the chances of never having to go in and replace it again.

I've done this upgrade twice now and both times I've just stuck with buying from the Mazda dealer that's on eBay. Sold me genuine OEM parts both times - didn't wanna risk skimping out on the non-genuine parts and having them not work or go bad after some time due to cutting corners on the PCB, wiring, etc.
It is really just a usb hub and cables, so probably low risk but. It is quite an extensive process to install, there are a lot of trims to remove and working with trims too often just increase the chance of introducing creaks, breaking clips, etc. Like anyDude recommends, i would pay a bit more to increase the chances of never having to go in and replace it again.

Same sentiment. I think price of the genuine parts have also dropped, although I can't find stock these past few weeks lol. Might have to wait until mid next year!

I've read reviews about the incompatibility with nav SD card.
Oh ok, thanks for the info. This is an issue for me since I already have the SD nav and some spots I travel to don't have cell signal.

Same sentiment. I think price of the genuine parts have also dropped, although I can't find stock these past few weeks lol. Might have to wait until mid next year!

Oh ok, thanks for the info. This is an issue for me since I already have the SD nav and some spots I travel to don't have cell signal.
save some maps offline on your phone, then when you use AA/CarPlay and there's no signal the navigation will still work

I bought one for my 2017 CX9. Followed a youtube video and got it installed in 2 hours with very little experience with car a/v. It's been working flawlessly with the original infotainment system, though I haven't tried the SD nav function as I rely mostly on carplay and android auto for navigation. Cost me $130 CAD shipped vs. $600 quoted by my Mazda dealer. So far so good.
No one is denying that this can't be installed by yourself with the parts - the question is whether the parts you got online were genuine OEM equipment or whether it was a clone/ripoff done by some Chinese company. You can tell by seeing the box that the device comes in - one says genuine OEM part and one says "suitable for Mazda"

Back