Anyone try Kumho Ecsta XS?

Rotus8

:
07 MS3
I am thorough my second set of stock REO50As and looking for something else. Has anyone tried the new Kumho Ecsta XS? I am thinking of going to 225/40-18 on the stock rims. How do they stick? How long do they last? I am in norhern CA so no snow, and I take it easy in the rain. I want max cornering in the dry. I am not too worried about noise, but the G-force TAs I had on my last car were really annoying. I used up two full sets of RE050As in 30K miles on the MS3 so I am not easy on tires. The Ecsta XS is reasonably priced (at least against REO50A and Advan), so if I get at least the same mileage or a little less, I'll be happy.

I am thorough my second set of stock REO50As and looking for something else. Has anyone tried the new Kumho Ecsta XS? I am thinking of going to 225/40-18 on the stock rims. How do they stick? How long do they last? I am in norhern CA so no snow, and I take it easy in the rain. I want max cornering in the dry. I am not too worried about noise, but the G-force TAs I had on my last car were really annoying. I used up two full sets of RE050As in 30K miles on the MS3 so I am not easy on tires. The Ecsta XS is reasonably priced (at least against REO50A and Advan), so if I get at least the same mileage or a little less, I'll be happy.

i had them on my wifey's civic before switching to some general altimax hp's. the reason for the switch was two sidewall bubbles on two different occasion on two different tires on two different sides of the car. i actually liked the performance of them quite a bit. they had very good dry traction, excellent rain traction and even decent in some light snow. but for me the reliability of them was questionable after the second sidewall bubble. i just didn't feel comfortable with her driving with them.

kumhos love to egg up. I stick to my ziex 912 from falken. get them from discounttiredirect. free shipping and low prices! they also price match.

I dont think GoFast and Rotus8 know what they are talking about lol (sorry guys)

the tires the op is speaking of are top shelf tire or said to be ( so ziex 912 isnt even close). They are new to the market and not many have bought them yet(so i doubt you are speaking about the XS). They are suppose to be better then MX's i know that.. I think they will better then the azenis 615 and the hankook rs2 but I dont know about the re01 or the dunlop star spec's... time will tell....

But for me... I know Im getting the star specs!.. best street tires out and not that unreasonable

sorry Rotus8 ...after re reading your post your saying you got the 912's...
but still not sure if your telling him to get them??...regardless these tire dont match up to what XS are said to be

sorry Rotus8 ...after re reading your post your saying you got the 912's...
but still not sure if your telling him to get them??...regardless these tire dont match up to what XS are said to be

rotus is the op. i think ur directing to me. anyways, hes looking for something that will last and is cheaper than his stockers. the 912 are the best "budget" tires. they also perform quite well. I dont think he plans on going hardcore on driving on these tires. Also i have plenty of friends with kumhos and all of them are very disappointed with them. you would thing kumho would fix the problems with the existing line up but they do not. I dont see the new xs being any different.

I dont think GoFast and Rotus8 know what they are talking about lol (sorry guys)

the tires the op is speaking of are top shelf tire or said to be ( so ziex 912 isnt even close). They are new to the market and not many have bought them yet(so i doubt you are speaking about the XS). They are suppose to be better then MX's i know that.. I think they will better then the azenis 615 and the hankook rs2 but I dont know about the re01 or the dunlop star spec's... time will tell....

But for me... I know Im getting the star specs!.. best street tires out and not that unreasonable

+1

Kumho XS are the new SCCA street tire class race tires. They are supposed to go against the RE-01s, Star Spec's, and Azenis (though the Azenis are no longer competitive)...

These are basically as close to a street "race" tire you can get.

These will wear quickly since they are super soft!! Dry traction will put giggles on your face!! :D

Maybe you are looking for the AST or SPT?

Last edited:

ahaahaaaa!! you would be correct!! i WAS thinking the asx's. silly me silly me(doh)

I wouldn't go with Kumho's (bubbles). If you want to stay within the same price range, equal tire from Hahkook would be a better choice, in my opinion.
Otherwise, I would go with Toyo Proxes or Nitto 555.

rotus is the op. i think ur directing to me. anyways, hes looking for something that will last and is cheaper than his stockers. the 912 are the best "budget" tires. they also perform quite well. I dont think he plans on going hardcore on driving on these tires. Also i have plenty of friends with kumhos and all of them are very disappointed with them. you would thing kumho would fix the problems with the existing line up but they do not. I dont see the new xs being any different.
Um, no. You read it wrong. "Last" and "cheaper" are not the top priority. I am used to paying about as much per mile for tires as for gas.

On my short list are the 'stone RE-01R, Star Spec, Hankook R-S2, and the Kumho XS. The Yoko Advan AD07 would be there too, but it is really off the top in price, and the RE-01R is high too.

I have read some Nissan Z and Miata guys who like the XS.

Well, after some further reading, and your comments, I pulled the trigger on a set of the Kumho XS tires. They should be installed next week and I'll post up the experience. I figure I'll wear them out in 10K or less so if they aren't good, I won't have to suffer long.

Thanks for the replies.

Um, no. You read it wrong. "Last" and "cheaper" are not the top priority. I am used to paying about as much per mile for tires as for gas..

yeah thats what i thought you meant myself (just kept it in until you said it lol)... you couldnt be thinking cheap cause the prices on the advan and re050a are up there..
anyways... i think you made a good pick with the XS... for me I will just wear out my 615's and hope the XS are better then the star spec cause they're CHEAPER

I have a set of 235/40/18 XSs on my RX-8 wheels.

So far (after a bout 1000-1200 miles) I'm pretty impressed, but I haven't had the chance to really wring them out on an autocross course or racetrack yet.

100_0944.jpg

100_0969.jpg

100_0966.jpg

100_0959.jpg

100_0943.jpg

Sorry I didn't see the thread earlier, but I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

Update: I have driven on the XS for a couple of weeks now and I'm quite impressed. The first thing I noticed was the rattling under the fenders from picking up rocks on my unpaved driveway, just like the DOT race rubber on my other car. In the dry, they are very grippy, no more little blinky traction control light in my favorite corners on my commute, especially after you get a bit of heat in them. Again in the dry, you can break them loose from a dig if you try, but it is controlled and hooks up nicely. However, in the wet, they are not so well behaved. The stick well, but if they break loose, they struggle for grip and do a rather nasty stick-slip - conclusion, take it easy in the rain, but womp it when it's dry. They are a bit harsher than the stockers because of the short stiff sidewalls (I am running 225/40-18) and pot holes give a significant thump. Now if I can only get 15K miles out of them, I'll be ecstatic.

Good to hear you like them, I'm trying to decide between the Kumho XS and Bridgestone G-Forces

I'll finally get a chance to put mine through the ringer at this Sunday's autocross.

I'm still very happy with them so far, but will know how well they stack up at the limit after Sunday.

I'll try to remember to chime in on Monday ;)

I'll finally get a chance to put mine through the ringer at this Sunday's autocross.

I'm still very happy with them so far, but will know how well they stack up at the limit after Sunday.

I'll try to remember to chime in on Monday ;)

Your running 235/40's right ? Are you on stock springs ? Just wondering if you've had any rubbing issues ?

Back