Anyone tow a camper?

I don't tow a camper either, but I do tow a snowmobile trailer that is roughly 605lbs by itself, with two sleds without fully fueled I am looking at ~1400lbs. I just towed up to the mountains (170 miles one way) without any issues. Only complaint I have is the gas mileage is horrible in the mountains ( avg was 13mpg @65mph), but I can't complain too much considering the car chugged along without much hassle.

Only complaint I have is the gas mileage is horrible in the mountains ( avg was 13mpg @65mph), but I can't complain too much considering the car chugged along without much hassle.

It doesn't help your mpg's any using 5W20 instead of 0W-20, especially in the middle of winter...

It doesn't help your mpg's any using 5W20 instead of 0W-20, especially in the middle of winter...

Except after 100 miles of constant highway driving, both weights have same viscosity. The difference between the two weights won't yield a HUGE mpg difference.

SAE Grade 0W-20 5W20
Viscosity @ 100C 8.7 8.9
Viscosity @ 40C 44.8 49.8
Viscosity Index 173 160
HTHS Viscosity 2.7 2.75
Flash Point 224 230
TBN 8.8 NA
MRV @ -40c 9200 NA

The difference is so minimal, it won't drastically change MPG's. 0W20 has a higher VI so it won't change viscosity as much as 5W20 in respect to temperature thus helping improve MPG's throughout the warm up cycle. However, the issue is that this vehicle is not made to tow, it can tow, but its purpose intended is to be a compact SUV.

Last edited:
At similar tow weight & speeds I can get 17-18 MPG with my 2.5L through a pass that often has headwinds.

I didn't say it would "drastically change MPG's", I said the 5W-20 "doesn't help your mpg's".

When sledding in the winter there's gonna be cold starts, warm-up/defrost idling and trailer maneuvering, all of which will lower mpg's (in addition to towing two heavy sleds up a mountain not to mention the windage of such a wide and aerodynamically dirty load.

No, you're not going to magically get 20 mpg with different oil but 0W-20 will return slightly better numbers and the more cold starts you do, the more true this will be.

At similar tow weight & speeds I can get 17-18 MPG with my 2.5L through a pass that often has headwinds.

Two modern sleds on a trailer side/side likely have more windage than your trailer unless you have a load taller than a pallet of firelogs!

Where I live it is all hills, and the further up in elevation I go, the worse my gas mileage gets. Also, my trailer is rather old and has a small diameter tire so any imperfection in the road and you can feel it tug on the car.

I didn't say it would "drastically change MPG's", I said the 5W-20 "doesn't help your mpg's".

When sledding in the winter there's gonna be cold starts, warm-up/defrost idling and trailer maneuvering, all of which will lower mpg's (in addition to towing two heavy sleds up a mountain not to mention the windage of such a wide and aerodynamically dirty load.

No, you're not going to magically get 20 mpg with different oil but 0W-20 will return slightly better numbers and the more cold starts you do, the more true this will be.

Like I mentioned in my previous comment in the other thread, the only reason I went with 5W20 is because the store didn't have any 0W20 at the moment. I fully plan on switching to 0W20 on my next oil change.

As for sledding, luckily where I leave my trailer and where I unload my sleds, I only have to pull through and go about my business. It doesn't get that cold in PA, the worst I have seen it is -20F, but that doesn't happen that often.

True... I have never towed any of my snowmobiles on my side-by-side trailer. It does have far more windage. Mine would exceed the tow rating of the CX-5 anyway. I leave that to the beater Explorer.

My GF's folks have a 19FT enclosed sled trailer with two sleds, roughly weighting in at 3200lbs with all the gear. It is pulled by an 07' Tacoma and it eats gas like no other.

Back