Anyone remember this rotary powered Mazda?

:
2005 3 HB
downing2.jpg

Kudzu racer, from the Camel Lights series?

IIRC, Downing is the driver, mid 80's...I think.

Last edited:
Signal 2 said:
Kudzu racer, from the Camel Lights series?

IIRC, Downing is the driver, mid 80's...I think.
Correct. The Mazda Kudzu. Ran the IMSA Camel Lights series. Downing was owner and driver. Still has a race shop here in Atlanta........Those were the days......Photo is from my archives.

Shiney_McShine said:
Correct. The Mazda Kudzu. Ran the IMSA Camel Lights series. Downing was owner and driver. Still has a race shop here in Atlanta........Those were the days......Photo is from my archives.

I still had my FB back then (yeah, I'm old). It was before the days of SPEED CHANNEL etc. and coverage of that sort of racing was harder to find. But I tried to follow anything associated with the rotary engine as best I could. I guess I looked upon it as giving me some credibility, since back then the rotary was still kind of a wierd curiosity where I lived.

Very nice photography BTW. Did you take it yourself?

Last edited:
Signal 2 said:
I still had my FB back then (yeah, I'm old). It was before the days of SPEED CHANNEL etc. and coverage of that sort of racing was harder to find. But I tried to follow anything associated with the rotary engine as best I could. I guess I looked upon it as giving me some credibility, since back then the rotary was still kind of a wierd curiosity where I lived.
I'm old as well.....What is "FB"? And where in Nebraska? I am originally from Omaha.

Shiney_McShine said:
I'm old as well.....What is "FB"? And where in Nebraska? I am originally from Omaha.

An FB is the 1st gen. RX7... 1978 to 1985. Mine was an 81, which I bought new after college.....so, are we in the same category of "Old" ? :D
I'm in Bellevue.

Last edited:
Signal 2 said:
An FB is the 1st gen. RX7... 1978 to 1985. Mine was an 81, which I bought new after college.....so, are we in the same category of "Old" ? :D
I'm in Bellevue.
I think so. I was in my mid 20s when I took the above photo of Downing back in 85.

I still have my RX4 sitting dormant in my garage.

Shiney_McShine said:
I think so. I was in my mid 20s when I took the above photo of Downing back in 85. I still have my RX4 sitting dormant in my garage.

Well hey, that's close enough, but I probably still have ya by a few years. Great pic. Thanks for sharing. (thumb)

Shiney_McShine said:
I think so. I was in my mid 20s when I took the above photo of Downing back in 85.

I still have my RX4 sitting dormant in my garage.

get some pics of that rx4 , never seen one before

Back