Anyone notice slight dimples in the front of your roof rails

Got the 2011 GT and had Mazda Roof Rails put on. today I noticed, on the front piece on each side, several slight dimples. You can see them depending on the angle you look and the lighting. Never Noticed them before, but never looked really at them I know they are not dents.

Again, there are 3 main parts on the roof rail, the front, the long center peice, and the rear piece. The dimples are on the front pieces.

It has nothing to do with windnoise. I am trying to see if it is a blemish on mine, or if they are all like that. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else?

Nothing to do with wind noise. However, like the dimples on a golf ball, these roof rack dimples create favorable turbulence, increased uplift, thus reducing tire friction and vehicle drag. The cosmic effect reduces fuel consumption and saves the earth.

It has nothing to do with windnoise. I am trying to see if it is a blemish on mine, or if they are all like that. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else?

Genius - you are asking what they are for and then you discount what is a valid reason? Sunroof deflectors, mirrors, and other items use this technology.

Small dimples have a huge effect on how things cut through the wind.

I am certainly not a genius. I know what effect they would have if that was indeed the situation. Perhaps I should have said SMALL dents rather than dimples. I am sure now that a genius like you can understand what I asked.

Mine are dimple free. The end pieces are hard plastic trim pieces, tried pressing with my finger and they are pretty rigid, so if something hit them, they would likely either scrape or crack. Seems perhaps you have a manufacturing defect in those..I don't think its possible to dent them.

No dimples on our OEM rails...I had a good look at them a few days ago...

No dimples on our OEM rails...I had a good look at them a few days ago...

Thank you for the replies. I will show them to the dealer when I have to take the car in for service. I did leave the Service Director a message making them aware of it. Roto Mazda is outstanding in the Chicago area, and will make it right.

No dimple on mine but mine is an '09. I think we need some pictures of these dimples in order to have a constructive discussion.

I am just going to take it back to the dealer when I need service and show it to them. I made them aware of it, and they said they will replace them.

Back