Anyone know of a Mazda 1200 pickup?

randyscycle

:
1971 Mazda 1200 pickup
Hi all,
New member here looking for some really classic Mazda info. I recently acquired a 1971 Mazda 1200 pickup, and cannot find any info on it at all. Its pre '72 Mazda 1600/Ford Courier style pickup and there is no mention of it anywhere. The front end sheet metal looks sort of like the 1200 car grille, and it has small oval taillights, different from the later Mazda trucks.

I am a professional restorer of Japanese motorcycles and old Japanese vehicles, and usually have better luck than this finding info. There is nothing on Ebay other than 1200 car parts, which other than the engine, there are no similarities. The only reference, on the net, to this model at all is from a fellow in British Columbia who had one in the 70's. He claims his was one of only 50 sold in Western Canada. Where he got that information isn't clear. Mazda has no records at all, or at least no one I have contacted there knows anything about it. I also have found no refence to it in any parts books at the local auto parts store, or older service manuals from the time like Chilton, Motor, Haynes, etc.

What I do know about it:

It was sold in Florida. (according to the service/warranty booklet)
It is a March of 1971 model.
It is a US model, because it has a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard tag.
The VIN and engine number both start with BTA65.

Any help, directions, laughter, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Randy Creel
randyscycle
Rhoadesville VA
www.rcycle.com

does it look like this?
1946_b1500_zoom.gif

or does it look like this?
hst-2G.gif

Mazda 1200

TheMAN said:
does it look like this?
1946_b1500_zoom.gif

or does it look like this?
hst-2G.gif

Actually the top pic of the truck is somewhat similar, but the front end is different. It shares more similarity with the car grille. I've been trying to post a pic, but being a new mmber I guess is slowing that down.

randyscycle

Pic of 1200 pickup

this is the 1200 pickup.....

Attachments

• Mazda 1200 before.JPG
    Mazda 1200 before.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 4,563
What kind of engine is it-ROTARY?

randyscycle said:
this is the 1200 pickup.....

Hello,

What kind of engine is in her? If its a ROTARY and with the help of this site I have found some decent sites that have info in rotary's. Mazda was pretty popular in Austrailia and I am quicly learning that alot of information can be found in forums based out of there. If I find anything I will post it here.

regards and good luck,

Max

More 1200.....

Hi Max,

Thanks for your input! Actually this truck has the 1200 inline four just like the 1200 cars had. I found some info on the engine and a picture of it in an old car ad. It has the aluminum block, blue valve cover and air filter. Its a totally different bird than the Rotary trucks. I am not even sure that "1200 pickup " is the correct name. Its just the only thing I have found so far. It has BTA-65 in the serial number, so it may be that BTA is the model designation. That was pretty common in early Japanese production......The mystery deepens.......

randyscycle
Randy

maxg765 said:
Hello,

What kind of engine is in her? If its a ROTARY and with the help of this site I have found some decent sites that have info in rotary's. Mazda was pretty popular in Austrailia and I am quicly learning that alot of information can be found in forums based out of there. If I find anything I will post it here.

regards and good luck,

Max

1200 engine picture

Here is an identical picture of the engine. This is from a 1200 car ad, but the drivetrain is the same.

randyscycle

randyscycle said:
Hi Max,

Thanks for your input! Actually this truck has the 1200 inline four just like the 1200 cars had. I found some info on the engine and a picture of it in an old car ad. It has the aluminum block, blue valve cover and air filter. Its a totally different bird than the Rotary trucks. I am not even sure that "1200 pickup " is the correct name. Its just the only thing I have found so far. It has BTA-65 in the serial number, so it may be that BTA is the model designation. That was pretty common in early Japanese production......The mystery deepens.......

randyscycle
Randy

Attachments

• mazda 1200 2.jpg
    mazda 1200 2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,153
randyscycle said:
Here is an identical picture of the engine. This is from a 1200 car ad, but the drivetrain is the same.

randyscycle

LOL.

"Where's all that power come from?

From Mazda's 1200cc engine, that's where. 64 HP at 6000rpm so you really move!"

Good luck with the truck. You may have a very rare beast there.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to all that neck-snapping acceleration! I have a Honda 600 coupe too. At 600cc and air-cooled at that, it makes for a real interesting merge on the freeway.......LOL

randyscycle

rjmhotrod said:
LOL.

"Where's all that power come from?

From Mazda's 1200cc engine, that's where. 64 HP at 6000rpm so you really move!"

Good luck with the truck. You may have a very rare beast there.

interesting... very little of the BTA65 is mentioned in mazda's documents and such... you'd probably want to contact mazda usa regarding parts and repair info... good luck!

Engine

randyscycle said:

randyscycle

Hello Randy,

Now I too am obsessed with finding out what it is. Wondering, do you have the VIN # or complete engine serial #. Try a google or yahoo search with either, sometimes it links to other car links with similar numbers yielding a model.

regards

Max

PS Nice motor

Thanks to all.

Actually I have sent 4 e-mails to Mazda USA and all have responded the same. "It is too old for our records" I find it hard to believe that there are zero records available for this vehicle, but am starting to wonder.

I actually spoke with Danny Evanishen in British Columbia Canada, who had two of those trucks. He told me that his local dealer told him that his were two of only 50 imported into Western Canada. That is almost none, and I wonder how many actually made it into the US. That is why I would like to at least get some production numbers from Mazda.

This particular vehicle was sold in Florida in 1971, and made its way to Central Virginia shortly thereafter, according to the state inspection reciepts I have found inside it. The original owner passed away about 10 years ago, and it was an abandoned vehicle when I acquired it a couple of months ago. It is now disassembled and being restored in a frame-off job.

In all my years of restoration, I have yet to run into a vehicle that gets no mention at all, even in old service manuals, parts books etc. Its like it didn't exist! The serial/VIN# is BTA65-25948. That is the same as the engine number too. I can't even locate a picture of the truck other than the one at Danny's Website.

I'll keep searching......

randyscycle

maxg765 said:
Hello Randy,

Now I too am obsessed with finding out what it is. Wondering, do you have the VIN # or complete engine serial #. Try a google or yahoo search with either, sometimes it links to other car links with similar numbers yielding a model.

regards

Max

PS Nice motor

I will ask in Canada

randyscycle said:
Thanks to all.

Actually I have sent 4 e-mails to Mazda USA and all have responded the same. "It is too old for our records" I find it hard to believe that there are zero records available for this vehicle, but am starting to wonder.

I actually spoke with Danny Evanishen in British Columbia Canada, who had two of those trucks. He told me that his local dealer told him that his were two of only 50 imported into Western Canada. That is almost none, and I wonder how many actually made it into the US. That is why I would like to at least get some production numbers from Mazda.

This particular vehicle was sold in Florida in 1971, and made its way to Central Virginia shortly thereafter, according to the state inspection reciepts I have found inside it. The original owner passed away about 10 years ago, and it was an abandoned vehicle when I acquired it a couple of months ago. It is now disassembled and being restored in a frame-off job.

In all my years of restoration, I have yet to run into a vehicle that gets no mention at all, even in old service manuals, parts books etc. Its like it didn't exist! The serial/VIN# is BTA65-25948. That is the same as the engine number too. I can't even locate a picture of the truck other than the one at Danny's Website.

I'll keep searching......

randyscycle

I live in Montreal Canada and there is one of the largest Mazda dealers here in all of Canada. Some of the staff are also very old and go back to the early years. Maybe one of them will recall your truck.

Regards

Max

Max,

Thank you soooooo very much. Unfortunately here in the States, it seems Mazda dealers didn't stick around for a long time and if so, their employees didn't. That was my next hope was that I could locate an older Mazda employee who may have recalled these little trucks. Thanks in advance!!

randyscycle

maxg765 said:
I live in Montreal Canada and there is one of the largest Mazda dealers here in all of Canada. Some of the staff are also very old and go back to the early years. Maybe one of them will recall your truck.

Regards

Max

1200 Engine

randyscycle said:
Max,

Thank you soooooo very much. Unfortunately here in the States, it seems Mazda dealers didn't stick around for a long time and if so, their employees didn't. That was my next hope was that I could locate an older Mazda employee who may have recalled these little trucks. Thanks in advance!!

randyscycle

Hello Randy,

Is this your engine? There is a very expensive 1200 Mazda for sale on Ebay. Maybe the seller knows a thing or two about Mazda's and would lend a hand.

I will try and visit the Mazda dealer this week. If I don't do it in person I am sure it will just get passed on and filed away with no reponse.

Best regards

Max

Attachments

• 2b_1.jpg
    2b_1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 459
Front Grill of 1200 Coupe 1971

randyscycle said:
Max,

randyscycle

Hello Randy,

Also just noticed that the Front Grill is exactly the same as the 1200 Coupe of 1971. It must be simply a pick up variant of the car. We'll get to the bottom of this. You may have a rare bird on your hands. Glad to see people care about restoring Mazda's on the late 60's and early 70's. They are only now starting to be noticed in the US and Canada. I have a 74 RX4 myself (on they way) and I love that car already.

Take a look.

regards

Max

Attachments

• 36_1.jpg
    36_1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 423
  • 6f_1.jpg
    6f_1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 395
maxg765 said:
Hello Randy,

Also just noticed that the Front Grill is exactly the same as the 1200 Coupe of 1971. It must be simply a pick up variant of the car. We'll get to the bottom of this. You may have a rare bird on your hands. Glad to see people care about restoring Mazda's on the late 60's and early 70's. They are only now starting to be noticed in the US and Canada. I have a 74 RX4 myself (on they way) and I love that car already.

Take a look.

regards

Max

Thanks again Max! I also found that super expensive 1200 coupe on ebay too. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I have to wonder, if the car is that rare and worth that much, then what about the pickup? Or is this guy just nuts! :) It does look identical from the front. So far, all of the 1200 coupes I have found pics of have been from Australia, and therefore have the old style European headlights.

I want to see if he gets any bids.

Randy

Crazy Price

randyscycle said:
Thanks again Max! I also found that super expensive 1200 coupe on ebay too. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I have to wonder, if the car is that rare and worth that much, then what about the pickup? Or is this guy just nuts! :) It does look identical from the front. So far, all of the 1200 coupes I have found pics of have been from Australia, and therefore have the old style European headlights.

I want to see if he gets any bids.

Randy

Hello Randy

Ya, I find his price very high. But then I like to see that. As an owner of a vinatge Mazda myself I am glad to see that they are finally starting to fectch more dollars than ever before. I think people are starting to appreciate vinatge Mazda's and look at them a s collectable's not just vehicles to modify and race. There was recently an RX3-SP that the bids went as high as $22000 and change but did not reach the reserve of $24000 and change. I have also seen good condition examples recently fetch between $9500 and $15000 in the past 12 months. Noting the recent trend in people collecting vintage auto's other than muscle cars and seeing as how Mazda cars are hard to find to begin with due to the low surviving numbers (I think but by all means am no expert) they will start to go up in value. After all in North America it is only now (30 years plus) that Mazda's have reached the maturity age for being a collactable vehicle and thus I feel that it is now that they will start to be looked for and get harder to obtain at low prices.

Keep me (us) posted on the progress of your restoration. I love to see that truck prior to paint after its been stripped.

best regards

Max

Back