Anyone here can compare speed3 vs focus ST 2.5 225 HP

road_runner

:
Mazda 3 2010 2.0L
Not sure if it is the right place to post this, so if not -please move it

I currently own 151 HP Mazda 3 but in the next year i might be selling it as wife has a Mazda 2 for city ride, and i am considering getting a car for fun and long rides

The aim is not drag racing!

I am kind of disliking the speed 3 look, too much street racing style.

I intentionally placed the old focus here that has 5 cylinder turbo from Volvo, if i am not mistaken.

I think it would have a far better noise, and look is more appealing to me, especially the orange one:)

I have seen that tuning the ECU for the ST is not expensive and there are good reviews .

250-260 HP would be more than enough from me.

On the other hand the speed 3 has a bigger engine, probably bigger turbo? and i guess it is not tough to get close to 290 HP?

Question is - how is the handling compared between those two cars. ?

I can not get a real feeling even if i was able to test both, as i am not experienced enough in sport style driving

I am especially interested in brakes - if i decide to tune one or the other, would the brakes be still performing good enough?

The fuel economy when cruising / pushing would also matter but not that much as i drive about 15k km per year

Why would you chose on or the other?

Speed 3 handling is fantastic. Nuff said. All comparos here in the states have the speed3 besting the ST around most any track. Better power all around.

While I agree with chimmike on the handling my bet is the Focus ST would have a better ride on a long trip. I changed the shocks on my Speed3 to Koni FSD to try to correct this and for the most part it rides better. Pick your priorities...ride or handling. Also the Speed3 just has more space on the interior (as a bass player I should know).

A good personal friend of mine and professional race car driver friend of mine did a comparison for a major magazine and stated that the Speed 3 handles better and but he has a lot of positives for the Focus ST too!

Is it true that on speed 3 you need kind of to stay on top of the car, while on the ST it is a bit more easy to handle? but not that responsive?

to me it sounds like speed3 might be more fun but needs to be controlled better. While i might prefer the ST to handle with some ease

I have test drove both cars and to me I much rather prefer the Speed 3. Please be aware that all of the statements I am about to make a base on personal choice and preference. I found the exterior of the ST to be cheaply made and put together. The interior of the ST is nice and it has some very nice gadgets but the space in the backseat is lacking. When I opened up the trunk in the ST I was shocked that it was even a hatch considering I had more space in the trunk of my Chevy Cruze. When I came to drive the Speed 3 I was very impressed with the way it drove and its power. I thought it had a bit more space in the back and the exterior design was much nicer and stylish (I do prefer to race and like the tuner/racing scene).

ah one other thing, for 11-2k euro i can get 07-08 focus ST, but mazda (MPS here)will come a bit cheaper from the same year. I prefer the hatch from the previous generation.
Still the speed 3 from 06-08 is not much different from the look of the normal 3. While the orange focus is quite distinctive.

When i said too much street race style i meant the current speed 3. If there was a sedan speed 3 i would jump in it in a second.

ah one other thing, for 11-2k euro i can get 07-08 focus ST, but mazda (MPS here)will come a bit cheaper from the same year. I prefer the hatch from the previous generation.
Still the speed 3 from 06-08 is not much different from the look of the normal 3. While the orange focus is quite distinctive.

When i said too much street race style i meant the current speed 3. If there was a sedan speed 3 i would jump in it in a second.

Understandable. I just cant really pull myself to buy the focus. Mainly because the MS3 is a bit cheaper and to me comes with almost as many options, it has more space in my opinion, nicer body style, and has more power. Im not going to bash the focus and say that it is a terrible car because I dont know much about it. Honestly I dont know much about either car to tell you the truth this is from a newbies point of view. I am getting ready to trade my Cruze in for a 2013 MS3 this spring.

Really? It looks fairly similar to the regular 3. Fairly subdued save for a piece here or there.

small.JPG

I sell the Focus ST, so I have a fair amount of experience with them. I prefer my 09 MS3 everyday of the week, but comparing it to the 2013 MS3 is a different story. The amount of technology Ford has on the inside really sets it apart, combined with better quality seats and its a winner for DD. They sound GREAT at WOT. I have not personally raced the 2 together but I hear the MS3 pulls a little harder(not much). Also the Focus ST cost more. My dealer isnt letting them go for any less than 500 over invoice. They start off around 26-27k base model.

^ Yeah, price difference favors MS3. With the difference in price, you can put good intake, good 3 inch dp/rp and a tune and absolutley stomp the everloving s*it out of the Ford with the same total dollars spent.

I sell the Focus ST, so I have a fair amount of experience with them. I prefer my 09 MS3 everyday of the week, but comparing it to the 2013 MS3 is a different story. The amount of technology Ford has on the inside really sets it apart, combined with better quality seats and its a winner for DD. They sound GREAT at WOT. I have not personally raced the 2 together but I hear the MS3 pulls a little harder(not much). Also the Focus ST cost more. My dealer isnt letting them go for any less than 500 over invoice. They start off around 26-27k base model.

Base model STs start at $24,500. You're probably thinking of the more expensive ST2 package.

How important is the "... long rides." piece for you? I would not buy either for long rides. I took mine on a 900-mile road trip not long after I bought it. It was fun, but my Ram or 300C are more comfortable for eight hours in the saddle.

Base model STs start at $24,500. You're probably thinking of the more expensive ST2 package.
Yes sorry you are correct :).
The first package adds 2300 and it goes up from there. I have one on the showroom floor that stickers for 30320 and the ST2 package is $4800(From base price) WOWZA I took a picture, but I suck at uploading images

Last edited:
Heres food for thought on the ST,
If you look at a base model, and add bluetooth. You are still at 25k evenish. The starting price for MS3 is 24995 with comparable features. Adding the tech package(MS3) adds 2485 for a total of 27,480. Once you start adding the packages to the ST it surpasses the MS3 in features thus making it more expensive. So the real question is, is the extra 3 grand on the Focus ST for the extras really worth it?
For Ford die hards I'd say yes, for your average consumer nah.

Yep, forgot that you americans have different understanding of distance:)) Here the long runs will be over 2 hours. The country i live is crossed from one end to the other in 4 hours :)))
Anyway still not decided on MS3, the speed cameras are getting more and more so not sure i will be able to fully enjoy it. Seriously considering an Accord Type S as the new 6 is too big for me

Back