Anyone have paint work done on a Machine Grey CX-5?

Recently had my fairly new CX 5 Signature with Machine Grey paint get some hail damage, and there was a spot on the rear fender that couldn't be fixed via paintless repair, so it had to go to a body shop.
The color match looks good, but I will say there is a strange appearance in certain light that makes it look hazy or splotchy.
Anyone run into this?

No, but I'm getting ready to have the rear passenger door on my Machine Grey 2019 GTR painted.
My wife tried to squeze into a parking spot in an underground parking lot and didn't make it.
Had a PDR guy remove the dent but she scrapped the paint down to the primer.

Was the shop you used recommended by Mazda?

Recently had my fairly new CX 5 Signature with Machine Grey paint get some hail damage, and there was a spot on the rear fender that couldn't be fixed via paintless repair, so it had to go to a body shop.
The color match looks good, but I will say there is a strange appearance in certain light that makes it look hazy or splotchy.
Anyone run into this?
Nope. Had mine painted by a honda/mazda dealer bodyshop. Exact match. Looks great.

Your hazy problem sounds like they maybe messed up during clearcoat process.

The rear gate on my 2019 Machine Grey CX 5 Signature required repainting as the result of a bad factory paint job. The dealer didn't hesitate to get authorization from Mazda, and the repaint was done be the dealer's auto body shop. I'm very happy with the results.

Last edited:
If you had to use your insurance, inform them of the issue. There should be no haze or splotchiness, it should look very, very close to the original paint, so I would argue that point if the insurance agent claims it's normal.

Following that, I'd go right back to the body shop, at a time when the lighting is good enough to see the finish issues in broad daylight. How does the affected area feel? Is it as smooth as the paint on the rest of the car? My guess is that they may have missed a few spots when polishing, or it could be paint or clearcoat overspray (if it doesn't feel as smooth as the rest of the car). Either way, the dealership should fix it.

I've had both sides of my MGM CX-9 repainted by a Honda dealership's body shop, and it came back looking like factory paint.

Nope. Had mine painted by a honda/mazda dealer bodyshop. Exact match. Looks great.

Your hazy problem sounds like they maybe messed up during clearcoat process.
From what I've read, the appearance I see may be too much metal flake, or it is laid down wrong.
The car has to be in the right light, parked just right, etc to see it, but when you do see it, looks like s***.
Looks like a car that you would find on a budget car lot.

From what I've read, the appearance I see may be too much metal flake, or it is laid down wrong.
The car has to be in the right light, parked just right, etc to see it, but when you do see it, looks like s***.
Looks like a car that you would find on a budget car lot.
Hopefully your insurance company can make then redo it.

What did the body shop say?

You might not have seen it based on lighting, but I always look at the work before I sign the insurance release for payment. Just an fyi for any future work. But based on your comments you may not have seen it anyways.

Hopefully your insurance company can make then redo it.

What did the body shop say?

You might not have seen it based on lighting, but I always look at the work before I sign the insurance release for payment. Just an fyi for any future work. But based on your comments you may not have seen it anyways.
The body shop knows something is not right, as they had to redo it a few times, and I was told they would keep trying.
I honestly think it needs to go to a dealer or another shop, but how the hell do I do this without paying out of my pocket?

The body shop knows something is not right, as they had to redo it a few times, and I was told they would keep trying.
I honestly think it needs to go to a dealer or another shop, but how the hell do I do this without paying out of my pocket?
You need to speak with your insurance company.

I think someone else had this problem with either soul red or machine gray and the body shop brought in the PPG paint expert to show them how.

Would I be stepping on toes or opening a can of worms if I stopped by another body shop or two to have some extra eyes put on this?
Hell, all the shops seem to have A+++ reviews on the net anymore, so it is difficult to pick one.

Mazda has a code for each batch or lot of color they use. Dealers have access to this information. Machine Grey has had ~ 40 difference codes for this color. I know this because they used this to paint my machine grey CX5. I ended up with a perfect match when viewed from all angles. Ed

Haven't gotten around to getting this fixed yet, but out of curiosity, how much would it cost me out of my own pocket to have this done?
Lets assume the rear fender and blended into half of the rear door.

Haven't gotten around to getting this fixed yet, but out of curiosity, how much would it cost me out of my own pocket to have this done?
Lets assume the rear fender and blended into half of the rear door.
Probably about $1000.

I'm having the rear passenger door repainted. Already paid a PDR guy $300 to remove the dent.
They have to paint the full door, and blend the front passenger door and rear panel so it looks the same. I hope. Body shop said they have no problem matching the machine grey. We'll see.
They have to remove a lot of stuff, molding, rubber trim, door handles, etc.
$1,100.00.

Back