Anyone have a problem with their 5 bucking

Just came back from picking up my son and the car shut off in front of my house...I tried turning it back on and it turned on and shut off 3 times in a row...a first for me...So I turned it on and tried to rev it to stay on and it was making a bogging noise finally got it into a church parking lot and am going to look into what Mazda Dude wrote to do but I think I'm going to have to send it to the Mazda Dealer. I miss my Zoom Zoom

If the butterfly valve looks fine it's probably fine. Run down the mazda dude list. If it has anything to do with the throttle it would be the throttle position sensor - again, electrical troubleshooting involved.

Hope you figure it out. I just lived with a bucking problem for weeks 'cause I was lazy - it sucked. badly. It definitely makes you appreciate the zoomzoom once it's fixed though!

I agree. That and it would've thrown a different code.

Good Luck with it!

Agree with Icespeed and 2003Protege, it could also be caused by a large intake air leak after the MAF/IAT sensor.

Last edited:
Ok....So I took Mazdadude's input and The harness had power right where he said it would...So that wasn't the issue.....I took out the whole intake tube since it seemed to be in a different angle then I had put it in the first time( first time being when I first purchased it ) because I was rushing when I put it back in when I first checked for cracks ( I never took off the wheel for easy axcess ( or however you spell it ) so I couldnt really get my hands in good to positon the mounting bracket.)So I took off the wheel this time. I reset the computer the right way...before I just took off the positive and waited like 10 minutes. Thanks Mazdadude(attention). What I noticed then was that I had clamped the intake tube...right after the MAF on the part of the tube that was angled so I could have gotten a proper seal with the clamp ( which is where I think my problem was from my rush job to get it back together ) I went out and also bought new Denso iridium spark plugs just in case but I put those on after my initial test drive to make sure everything was alright ( when I changed the factory ones they were fine so I just saved them ) The car seems to run fine but when you have a problem like this ...well atleast I'm always skeptical especially if you feel the slightest tug. So far so good...Again I want to Thank Everyone Who Helped Me Out...You Guys Rock and Your Knowledge is Power (band2)

(2thumbs)

Great to hear!

Is there any way that you can get a refund for the MAF sensor?

I take the kids to school and the first trip is succesful when I come back for the second trip ( two go to Elementary and two go to High School ) I dont have the same symptoms and the car shuts off on me at a stop sign...I turn her back on and there is my favorite light. So I keep driving and I dont have any bucking...only thing I notice is a rough idle...only in drive..in Park she seems to purr like a kitten...So I go gas her up and take her for a bath and I decide to go buy my own damn scan tool...because I dont want to keep driving 10 miles to keep getting it checked. I come home and its the same code....I'm typing this and going to get my mechanic clothes on and dig the factory air box out and try that. If that dont work....(braindead cuz I'm slowly becoming(screwy)

(2thumbs)

Great to hear!

Is there any way that you can get a refund for the MAF sensor?

See if I listen completely I avoid all this....it apparently was the intake...I believe there is a hairline crack somewhere where the bung for the MAF is. I noticed like a black substance around the bung weld but just thought it to be dirt...even though the rest of the pipe doesnt have this substance. Anyways it's all good now and I must say....I didnt put the resonator back on and I love the sound....Its actually the sound I thought I would have gotten from the intake...but I do notice the lack of power. So I'm going to try and see if I can still use part of the intake or just drop in a K&N drop in filter....I do like that I dont hear the chattering that I would hear from the intake....I heard that noise is common with the intake.

About the MAF...they took my old one as a core....no big deal! I'm just glad I found out the problem and I only ended up spending

$85 MAF Sensor
$7 MAF Cleaner
$127 Scan Tool
----------------
$219 Grand Total

Again Thanks for your help!

Even though this wasn't your problem, always start with a bottle of Heet if you get misfiring or stalling of any kind. It's $1. I run a bottle every six months at least to get water out of the tank, lines, and filter. I've shocked people with really crappy running cars before with a bottle of Heet. Jap cars are bad about water screwing everything up and throwing crazy codes all over the place.

I hope you've got it fixed.

OK....now that the problem was found.....I'm having problems dealing with the lack of oomph that I never really realized that the intake gave...Now I want another intake...I just dont want a fujita...I want to move on up to either an AEM or Injen...does anyone have these on there 5 and are they happy with them? I was happy with the Fujita...actually wished I would have had it fixed instead of chopping it up to try and do an experiment that didnt work. Any Input would be great...Thanks

Ok, So I get another intake...this time a cheap ebay one and it works fine for a while and the symtoms come back and I put the factory box back on. And it starts with the problems again So I notice that if I warm the car up I dont get the bucking or check engine light. So i say screw it and put the ebay intake back on and notice that if i move the intake tube the car shuts off and when I put it in reverse it really wants to shut off and 8 out of 10 times it does...I dont know but thats weird to me...anyone have any ideas?

Ok, So I get another intake...this time a cheap ebay one and it works fine for a while and the symtoms come back and I put the factory box back on. And it starts with the problems again So I notice that if I warm the car up I dont get the bucking or check engine light. So i say screw it and put the ebay intake back on and notice that if i move the intake tube the car shuts off and when I put it in reverse it really wants to shut off and 8 out of 10 times it does...I dont know but thats weird to me...anyone have any ideas?

My first idea was that you might have a leak in the intake air stream after the MAF and prior to the throttle body, and that by putting the car in gear or in reverse puts enough flex on your bad motor mounts to open up the air leak even more.(shrug)

I replaced the motor mount on the passenger side...could another one be bad also....How do I check and see if its bad?

Back