Anyone have a problem with their 5 bucking

1WICKED6

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
Hey Everyone, I drove my 5 today like 300miles (took my Bro to the Philly Airport and then wentt to West Chester to watch a Rugby game ) Well on the way home from West Chester I started to feel a bucking like ...almost like an injector was clogged or maybe a fuel filter...I'm not sure but it got worse as the day went by....I went to work for 5 hours and when I got out it actually stalled on me...I stopped by the local Pep Boys and picked up some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner just in case but it still did it on the way home( the bucking) and when I got home that I parked the car the check engine light came on...WTF? Anyone have an idea what this could be? Maybe need a new Fuel Filter or something of that nature? Any help would be greatly appreciated....I just started to use the manumatic more often but that doesnt explain the motor bucking ...It shifts fine.(attn)

Last edited:
I'm thinking ignition or electronics, less than fuel system, since the problem happened with the engine both hot and cold.

Ok just came back from AutoZone and they checked out my CEL and this is what they came up with:

Trouble Shooting P0102
OEM BRAND Mazda

Definition
MAF sensor low input signal

probable cause
1. Large Vacuum leak
2.Leak in Air Duct Tube
3. Open or short circuit condition
4.Faulty MAF sensor

The guy tells me I may have a crack in the tube but when I get to checking the car...the intake tube is on tight and doesnt even move...So I take off the shroud on top of the engine and notice the vacuum line from the intake tube to the valve cover has a pretty big tear at the end right on the nipple that its on. So I took it off and cut it, reset the CEL but haven't driven it yet....Hopefully this is it.

<EDIT> Ok, I feel like a butthead for not reading the last part of your post. My intake tube is currently being kept airtight by ducttape (for the last 10k miles haha). Vacuum leaks will mess ya up! Good luck!

First of all, make sure all your intake connections are secured. Just the other week Jiffy Lube pulled the intake off of the throttle body on my mom's car. I went to clean the MAF (thinking of what could be causing the symptoms she described), and imagine my surprise when the whole intake assembly from the filter back came off in my hand.

Speaking of MAF, clean the MAF. It's a cheap fix, and you'll have a can of MAF cleaner left for future (read "routine") maintenance.

If neither of those fix it, then move on to more complicated troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Ok just test drove it and it still hesitates and the CEL came back on.....Duck tape? What exactly are you duct taping? I really dont want to have to go to the dealer to get this fixed...I have a Fujita CAI system that I've never had problems with and dealers are quick to point to the aftermarket stuff

Last edited:
Speaking of MAF, clean the MAF. It's a cheap fix, and you'll have a can of MAF cleaner left for future (read "routine") maintenance.

If neither of those fix it, then move on to more complicated troubleshooting.

What did you use to clean this...I was thinking about it but was sure what to use?

Well, my intake tube actually broke because the rubber was so brittle, so it's just being held together. Basically your intake needs to be air tight between the MAF sensor and the engine.

Auto parts stores sell MAF sensor cleaner. It comes in a spray can. You basically just spray the sensor very delicately and let it air dry. When mine got pretty dirty, it did cause major bucking issues below 2k RPM iirc.

Really hope that helps.

Thanks for your help...I retightened the clamps at the throttle body( they seemed tight but I made them tighter ), I rechecked the connector to the MAF and made sure it was nice and tight, and I took out the MAF and inspected it...it was pretty clean but it did have dirt on the rubber surround , so I wipe it down retightened it and took her out for another test drive....No bucking ( hopefully THAT was it ). I will be buying that MAF cleaner when I go back out just in case.Thanks again!

Awesome! Sounds promising. Just be careful with that MAF sensor; they're pretty delicate. It won't necessarily look dirty if it is "dirty". Never hurts to clean it though.

Ok drove it to work and never reset the CEL just in case it did it again....And all is smooth and within 5 miles the CEL cleared itself...Awesomeness!I love this site!

Well the problem came back...now it seems to be worse....I got MAF cleaner and sprayed and even took off the intake to inspect the the rubber sleeve and tube and everything looks fine. Could it be that I need a new MAF? How much does a new MAF cost? it's weird though in park it idles fine but as soon as I pop her into drive and hit the gas I feel like I'm at a frickin Rodeo , if I punch it...she goes but I cant drive like that around town.......dont want to take it to the dealer because dont want to pay out my butt. And the shop that I usually go to the guy is super busy and I need this thing resolved ASAP..AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Just checked to see how much a MAF sensor cost and its $79.99 I guess when I wake up I'll head to the auto parts store and pick this up and if its not it than going to have to give in and go to a mechanic .

Just changed the MAF and the problem still there...tomorrow I'm going to try and put the factory set up back on and see what it does....It doesnt make sense to me....it only acts up when I put it in gear.....I can rev the heck out of it in Park and no hesitation but as soon as its in gear it gets all choked up and beside itself...lol

My pops had a similar problem with his 6s (as far as symptoms). It turned out to be the throttle body.

I had a similar problem after my last engine rebuild on the MSP... it was a cracked Intake Manifold Gasket. One of the fuel injector nipples had cracked off, causing a major vac leak.

If you're still under warranty, put the stock airbox back in and take it to the dealer.

I would think that the MAF is too new (it's an '07?) to fail, but cleaning it may have made it worse if it was on it's way out. I would also dismiss it being the fuel filter.

Go buy a can of pressurized Carberautor Cleaner and turn the engine on. Pop the hood and randomally spray vac hoses. If the car revs when you spray a certain spot, you've found the vac leak in the hose. Replace hose. If no hoses are leaking, start randomly spraying the intake manifold and throttle body. Little "quick sprays" will suffice and you will hear/see a noticeable difference in engine rpms.

Yes I vote for installing the original setup back in. Reseat the MAF connector, disconnect the battery, and step on brakes to clear the computer.

The workshop manual lists these possible causes for the p0102

*MAF sensor Malfunction
*Connector Or terminal malfunction
*Short to ground in wiring harness between MAF/IAT sensor terminal C and PCM terminal 1AC
*Open circuit in wiring harness between MAF/IAT sensor terminal C and PCM terminal 1AC
*Open circuit in wiring harness between main relay and MAF/IAT sensor terminal A
*PCM Malfunction

Since you have already replaced the MAF/IAT sensor, the next steps would be to measure the voltage at the MAF/IAT connector terminal. If there is power at the connector, terminal A (With the Connector disconnected and the locking tab catch facing up, looking at the mating side of the connector, this is the far right terminal, and the rest are B, C, D, E going right to left). There should be + battery voltage at this terminal with the ignition on.

If there is no voltage there then there is an open in the circuit between the harness and the PCM, and I would then reseat the PCM connector and inspect for corrosion. Also I would then check and follow the MAF wires thru the enginebay to look for any damage to the wires. (Mice, Rats, Possums, etc..)

Let me know if you get stuck!

Last edited:
My pops had a similar problem with his 6s (as far as symptoms). It turned out to be the throttle body.

What was wrong with the throttle body? When I had the intake off I touched the butterfly on the throttle body and it felt tight...Is this normal?

MazdaDude as soon as I go get my son at 11:30 I'm trying everything you wrote...I really appreciate everyones help and input...I'm pretty sure its something small causing my headache because other than the bucking and rpms fluttering and the yellow icon with the steering wheel blinking when it starts sputtering...she runs like a champ...lol

What was wrong with the throttle body? When I had the intake off I touched the butterfly on the throttle body and it felt tight...Is this normal?

MazdaDude as soon as I go get my son at 11:30 I'm trying everything you wrote...I really appreciate everyones help and input...I'm pretty sure its something small causing my headache because other than the bucking and rpms fluttering and the yellow icon with the steering wheel blinking when it starts sputtering...she runs like a champ...lol

If the butterfly valve looks fine it's probably fine. Run down the mazda dude list. If it has anything to do with the throttle it would be the throttle position sensor - again, electrical troubleshooting involved.

Hope you figure it out. I just lived with a bucking problem for weeks 'cause I was lazy - it sucked. badly. It definitely makes you appreciate the zoomzoom once it's fixed though!

Back