Anyone else getting laughed at?

skullsroad

:
Mazda 2
Anyone else getting ridiculed and laughed at by their friends for owning a 2? I showed up to work and all I got was:

"You could have got an M3 for that money!!"
"Cute car Nancy-boy."
"Why?????"

They don't understand the joy of driving lightweight. I wanted something new, lightweight, simple ( so Fiesta and Fit were out ), easy to work on and cheap. The 2 fit the bill. Plus I love Mazda's design philosophy.

Just about everyone said they would have bought a really fast used car for the same money. I did give it some thought before I handed over the down payment for my 2, however, now that I have it, I have no regrets.

You cant take yourself too seriously with this car. You have to think of your car in a funny manner 1st so when others try to bring it down they will have nothing new to say. Ive owned several 3's and 5's and this is my new adventure. Its just the same old my weiner is bigger than yours routine, prove them wrong once and they leave you alone. Buying a newer car thats efficient and light weight is the smarter thing to do, most of the world doesnt fit in that category of being smart so dont fret it, youve got a support group here.

My co-workers said they liked it, but I got some comments like "That's a cute car" but I don't care what they say I love my m2!

Yeah, I got some crap from my friends. Luckily, I had already taken some crap for my previous car, TDI Jetta Sportwagon, so it was less than expected for the 2.

The biggest 'laugh' I get is due to the 100hp. In this day of 3000lb "compact" cars, nobody understands how little HP is needed to move a lightweight car.

The other laughs I used to get was about it being a 4door... I offered to drive my wife and 2 friends (friends are over 6-foot) and they were expecting to be jammed in the back. But of course after they realized they had room and that the car is awesome ;) they have actually been praising it as a "magic car" for being big on the inside and small on the outside!

Edit: Oh, and you mentioned it's 'simpleness'... One of my friends has an M3 and they REALLY don't laugh when they see the difference in cost for replacement parts, tires, and even oil changes!

Last edited:
Yeah, I catch s*** all the time. I'd like to say that it doesn't bother me but it does. In all honesty, I really like the 2. It's basic, spunky and does everything I need it to. Unfortunately, my friends and more specifically, my girlfriend doesn't see it that way. Everyone thinks there is something really wrong with my finances, it's really annoying that to project that you are fine financially, you have to "at least drive a Honda Accord."

Wife calls it a POS but she's an idiot anyway...and I know this for a fact. ;-)

The drag strip thing always gets me. Who wants to go straight for a quarter mile at a time?? That's always the question about my V8 Miata project: you gonna drag it? What's wrong with people????? lol.

Everytime I walk out from work to my smiling 2, I think to myself "IT'S SSSSOOOOO CUUUTTTEEE!" But I've been known to say it out loud, too. My boss mimicked me the other day when I said it :)

I don't get as much crap from people because I'm a girl but I have had a few people that know me tell me the car "doesn't fit me". Which is why I'm still looking for an OEM non-US angry (not smiley) bumper. The 2 needs more evil.(laugh)

I like the more agressive bumper too but she also needs the non US ground effects too...how long have you been a girl?

ahh cool just wondering if it was a recent change.

......bahahah.

My wife laughed at mine the first time she saw it, she was expecting something the size of the Mazda3 I think...but other than that I haven't caught too much s*** about it.

yeah everyone calls me out on it but i get on it before they do so its kinda like "YEAH what you said." girls think its cute though but when i pick them up theyd rather be in the Z.

My friends are pretty accepting of my 2. Once they ride in it any negative thoughts they had usually go away. I have co workers that live their life a quarter mile at a time and they don't seem to understand that I am completely satisfied with 100hp. Coming from a MINI Cooper, I'm used to the "cute" comments. I'll just play along and say that the 2 is for the Japanese Women on the go..... People find it hard to respond to that.

I like it enough where I dont care what people think. The autox community is better understanding than the general public. I think of gas goes back up to 4 or 5 dollars they will shut up really quick.

Well my boyfriend has the RX8, his cousins own Mazda's as well (MS3 & a regular 3) and they all seem to enjoy my 2! Others all seem to say the car fits me well... I think someone only laughed when I said I wanted to turbo it haha... but thats about it!

Do it...its better to turbo when she's young than try to do it on an older engine.

I have a bunch of Mazda-owning friends so I haven't taken any flak from them about it. Nobody at work has given me any crap either, but I don't care if they do...I'll just ask them how much it cost to fill the tank on their Suburbans and watch their eyes pop out when I explain how I'm averaging 38mpg. I love my Demio.

I'm not saying I'm ashamed one bit. I came from a string of B13 Sentra SE-Rs and got ZERO respect. That is until a 996 couldn't shake me on my favorite mountain road. He asked, "What do you have in that thing?". Basic bolt-ons, corrected suspension geometry and 2000lbs including driver.

I figure the "cute" comments will die down once I do everything I want to it appearance wise. Not a whole lot of plans for the motor since, honestly, what's the point. You can totally tell Mazda cheaped out on the motor design.

Back