Anyone else getting laughed at?

i agree so much on this. the mazda 2 really does look so much better than the other hatches out there (econoboxes) aveo (boring and not just the looks) fit (a mini mini van) fiesta (looks like some common eurohatch) focus (trying to look like a WRX) accent (trying to look like a focus.) kia....well i wont even bother. dodge? lol dont even know.

i love the 2 and i think with appearance mods/add ons it can have a beautiful aggressive stance

ok i think ive said enough :p

I get my 2 tomorrow, and while I'm happy with how it looks, I think the new Kia Rio5 puts it to shame in that department. However, I'm sure my 2 will last longer and I KNOW (from test drives) that it will be much more fun to own.

"not quite as cool-looking as the Fiesta " Well, as they say "You can't polish a Fiesta." or something like that.

John

I get my 2 tomorrow, and while I'm happy with how it looks, I think the new Kia Rio5 puts it to shame in that department. However, I'm sure my 2 will last longer and I KNOW (from test drives) that it will be much more fun to own.

2012-Kia-Rio-5.jpg

i think it actually looks really good. but still bulky. i think the 2 is the best looking small hatch. but now that ive seen the rio5 i like it. better than most the stuff kia puts out

I think everything Kia's put out using the "tiger nose" since getting their new lead designer (Peter Schreyer from Audi) has looked absolutely fantastic. It's too bad their cars are still a snooze to drive, their reliability is better but still unproven, and their manual transmission options are pretty much nonexistent if you want a nicer trim level.

The 2 is cute, but it isn't anywhere near as simultaneously noticeable and classy looking as the Rio5. Luckily, I spend more time driving my car than looking at it ;)

Pretty much the only thing I hear is Honda people saying; "Should have got a Fit", then I remember wait they drive a Honda so their opinion is null and void.

After ever increasingly better results at autocross events the 2 is earning more respect daily...but...there is still some cute giggling talk going on...I taped my codriver on his last run (he had some conversation about it briefly on video with the worker...kinda funny (then he spins the 2 mid course lol). He finished 8th overall a whole second faster than me...but when he registered he classified my car as a "mazduh 2" and the red color as "ladybug".... his classification and our index times are below
http://www.nworscca.com/attachments/results/2011/2011_e9_index.htm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hz_Nau-FgaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^That's actually REALLY impressive.

I get laughed at, mainly by my gf as it was her first choice when she was car shopping (Ended up with a Mitsu. RVR/Outlander sport). And mainly because it's small.

Anyone else getting ridiculed and laughed at by their friends for owning a 2? I showed up to work and all I got was:

"You could have got an M3 for that money!!"
"Cute car Nancy-boy."
"Why?????"

They don't understand the joy of driving lightweight. I wanted something new, lightweight, simple ( so Fiesta and Fit were out ), easy to work on and cheap. The 2 fit the bill. Plus I love Mazda's design philosophy.

Just about everyone said they would have bought a really fast used car for the same money. I did give it some thought before I handed over the down payment for my 2, however, now that I have it, I have no regrets.

I'd rather have my brand new 2 then spend 15k or upwards to inherit someone's problems. Being that I go to college and drive 400+ miles a week I didn't see it feasable to buy a 'faster car' with the way gas prices were rising when I purchased it. Plus I'll have plenty of time when I graduate within the next year to buy a 'faster car' in additioin to owning the 2, so I saw it as a win-win situation.

After spending years modding my old 05' MZ3, blacking it out, etc., I've caught hell from just about everyone in my family, friends and even my local Mazda community for getting the 2 but I don't care one single bit because it does exactly what I want. It gets good gas mileage, it's a cheap car payment & cheap on maintenance. Whenever I get laughed at, I laugh it off and then promptly ask the person how much they pay for THEIR car payment. Once I tell them I pay less for mine, including my insurance and a month of gas combined, they pull their foot out of their mouth ;)

Not to mention the 2 is a true driving enthusiast's car. You wouldn't take it to the drag strip, but it is very reminiscent of the days of CRX's etc.

Here's a fun story.

I was driving home from Jack In A Box, grabbin a number 8, when all of a sudden a group of drunk jerkwads start to tailgate me. Like...inches from my bumper. I keep to the speed limit seeing as there was nothing else I could do, I was already in the right lane ( local street ). Then suddenly they gun it and throw a 40oz beer bottle at my drivers side passenger door. Hitting it right on the handle. I roll down my window and yell a line of profanities followed by a simple question, "What the f***???" And ohh they laughed and laughed then sped off. I pulled over to check out the damage. Door handle is shot, not functioning. Nice large dent with chipped off paint as well. I guess it was my dazed/pissed/why-me state that forced me to not notice that they didn't really speed off. They in fact pulled a u-turn and parked perpendicular to my front bumper, blocking me from being able to dive forward.

This is when it gets dicey.

Four guys jump out rush me. I'm able to get a few hits in but in real life I'm not a level 24 Nordic Dragon Born with an epic ebony war axe, only in Skyrim. Three of them slug me in the face and pretty lights start to fill the inevitable darkness overcoming my vision. But something snapped me out of it. A voice? Yes, my girlfriends voice. One of them, I'm assuming he's the b***h of the group, is trying to pull my girlfriend out of the car. I wrestle my way back to my open door, pull my frantic girlfriend away from the little b***h boy scumbag and fire up the Deuce. While I'm starting the car, selecting reverse gear ( blocked by a Malibu ) and punching the gas, two of them are punching me in the left cheekbone ( window was open, it just HAD to be a nice night ) while the cockroach who tried to get my girlfriend was kicking the bejezus out of my front passenger door.

I got out with just a sore cheekbone and a small cut on my eyebrow because my glasses broke. My girlfriend, and this is all I cared about, got away with no injuries but emotionally wrecked.

So why did I post this gripping tale here? Everyone at work said it's because of my car. LOL!

*enter the mind of a douchebag*

"Oh look a little white hatchback. Easy target."

Last edited:
After spending years modding my old 05' MZ3, blacking it out, etc., I've caught hell from just about everyone in my family, friends and even my local Mazda community for getting the 2 but I don't care one single bit because it does exactly what I want. It gets good gas mileage, it's a cheap car payment & cheap on maintenance. Whenever I get laughed at, I laugh it off and then promptly ask the person how much they pay for THEIR car payment. Once I tell them I pay less for mine, including my insurance and a month of gas combined, they pull their foot out of their mouth ;)
You need to come out to the meets man. i haven't seen your ass at any of the meets plus i want to take a look at your 2

And this is why i'm glad I live in WV. The moment they threw the bottle at me I would have already begun shooting and when they got out I would have put one in each forehead. Glock ftw.

If you got the tag number your insurance company will get them for the damages.

Pretty much the only thing I hear is Honda people saying; "Should have got a Fit", then I remember wait they drive a Honda so their opinion is null and void.
if they told me that i would say.

"i had one."

but it turned into a 2 one day. and has been happier ever since.

Here's a fun story.

I was driving home from Jack In A Box, grabbin a number 8, when all of a sudden a group of drunk jerkwads start to tailgate me. Like...inches from my bumper. I keep to the speed limit seeing as there was nothing else I could do, I was already in the right lane ( local street ). Then suddenly they gun it and throw a 40oz beer bottle at my drivers side passenger door. Hitting it right on the handle. I roll down my window and yell a line of profanities followed by a simple question, "What the f***???" And ohh they laughed and laughed then sped off. I pulled over to check out the damage. Door handle is shot, not functioning. Nice large dent with chipped off paint as well. I guess it was my dazed/pissed/why-me state that forced me to not notice that they didn't really speed off. They in fact pulled a u-turn and parked perpendicular to my front bumper, blocking me from being able to dive forward.

But something snapped me out of it. A voice? Yes, my girlfriends voice. One of them, I'm assuming he's the b***h of the group, is trying to pull my girlfriend out of the car.

So why did I post this gripping tale here? Everyone at work said it's because of my car. LOL!

"Oh look a little white hatchback. Easy target."

first. if anyone tried to touch my gf or any girl/ person i love. (mind u im 6 foot but not the strongest, need to start working out again, natural instincts would kick in and i would destroy them with 2 steel bats (aka my fists)

2nd. im pretty sure they were jealous of your car and that they have to drive a malibu.

Back