Anybody else unhappy with the location of the USB ports on the 2016 CX-5 ??

andyg

Contributor
:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Traded in my 2013 CX5 Grand Touring for a 2016 CX5 Grand Touring. Love the car (as much as you can in less than 48 hours)--but a few things are a bit frustrating. In the 2013, there was a USB port in the center storage area between the seats. I could plug in my Ipod and leave it in there out of site. Now, that port is gone and replaced with two ports out in the open. Now I have to either:

1-leave my ipod in plain view as a theft magnet
2-remember to disconnect it each and every time (not likely)
3- run a long cord from the USB port to the center console so I can keep the Ipod in there, but then there is still the visible cord.

Anyone else frustrated by this? Any ideas how to overcome other than those I mentioned? Thanks

Andy

Hey Andy,

There's a conventional power port tucked inside the lower front of the center console. Get an adapter to convert that to USB. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Hope this helps.

That won't solve anything. He's using an iPOD connected via USB to LISTEN to the music in the car.
Old way, can leave it plugged into the arm rest so it's hidden. Now that the USB is up front, the iPOD is sitting there out in the open console.

You're right. My bad. I was just thinking of powering it.

Thanks for your input. I think I'm going to use a black (so it blends in) cord and run it to the center console so the Ipod can stay in there, and hopefully I can route the cord so 95% hidden--maybe down the passenger side of the console between the console and passenger seat, and into the center console.

I know it's a 2016, but if you can remove the center floor piece like in this how to http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...t-Shiny-Trim-Head-Unit-and-Center-Floor-Piece, maybe you can you run a usb cable from the outlet to your center console, or the glove box?

Yeah--thanks, but I'm not going through all of that on a car I've had since Friday --- I think I'll just hide the wire as best as I can and that will have to do. Really don't think too much thought was used when Mazda decided not to retain the "hidden" USB port in the center console.

I love the position of the USB ports! There's no cover to open - just unplug and go!

I love the position of the USB ports! There's no cover to open - just unplug and go!

To be realistic, most people who have a USB port in the armrest use a dedicated iPod and it stays in the console until you want to change or add tunes.

My thinking until I realized it's a lot cheaper to buy a small 16/32GB USB stick and leave it in. :D

I have a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit in USB Port 2. It's tiny, barely sticks out of the slot and not get in the way of anything I throw onto the tray area underneath it.
Works a treat.

You have a brand new car but still use an iPod. I'm having a hard time understanding how this is possible.

You have a brand new car but still use an iPod. I'm having a hard time understanding how this is possible.

You should probably save the sarcastic BS for someone else. I don't have much patience for it.

Back