Any cheap and reliable hatch bike rack for 2015 Mazda5?

:
2015 Mazda 5 Sport
I have a 15+ year old bike rack in the shed I used to use on my accord for carrying bikes. I am thinking to take it out, clean it, and see if I can use it on my mazda 5. I am not sure if it will fit with minivan hatch or if all the parts are still around.

I tried putting the bike in the Mazda 5 once with all rear seats folded but the bike would moved around and would eventually damage the seat back. Before I grab two yoga mats as sacrificial cushion, I wonder if anyone had experience with the rear bike rack and their preference?

It is a walmart $150 mountain bike with 26" wheels. I am going to put some hard work in to get myself into shape.

You could always install a Class I hitch and get a hitch mounted bike rack. That would probably be the easiest and most secure way to move them around.

Just know that the 5 is NOT rated to tow a trailer at all, none whatsoever. But a bike rack would be fine for sure.

The biggest problems with the style of bike rack that just use straps to hold on to the rear hatch are that they can dent the rear hatch around the license plate where the bottom presses, scratch or scuff the paint with the pads pressed against the hatch or the hooks, and make it difficult/dangerous to open the rear hatch with all that extra weight on it. I'd recommend a hitch-style rack too, after dealing with the issues of the strap-style for years on other cars.

If you only plan on carrying one bike, I think the cheap truck/hatch bike rack that uses strap is ok. The <'10 has a composite hatch but the +'12 is steel. The concern is the top piece (3rd brake light) which 'could' still crack bc the weight of the straps hanging over it... but I think 1 bike is ok though carrying cheap/heavy bike does not help.

They do offer hatch mount racks that extend out to avoid the stress on the spoiler/brake light. The weight is on the glass and where the hatch meets the trunk - both sturdy points. You can lock the bike to the rear tow point to get small piece of mine from thief. You can often find variations of these on craigslist for cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I have a cheap Walmart trunk mount 2 bike carrier, have roof rack with 2 Thule bike trays, and Curt hitch with Softride Dura Assist 4 bike carrier. Hands down, the hitch mount bike rack is much easier to operate. These two options allow you to lock up the bikes securely.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to run into risks of damaging my 5 either so I am just going to have rear seats folded and have the bike lay on a dog bed inside the car when I transporting it for now. With the weather getting warm and I am almost certainly getting vaccinated sometime next month, I am excited to visit the bike path everyday to prepare for my annual physical visit in the fall.

Back