Another happy fill up

i've hit 420ish a couple of times before, but that was on a road trip doing a constant 65 mph. I usually have to fill up every other week, but then again, i live about 12 miles from work. on average i get about 350-375 miles on a tank, 93 octane. At least most of you guys don't have to fork out for 93.

I just filled up today and got 302 miles out of 12.9 gallons with 100% city and some "spirited" driving.

Still managed almost 24 mph as opposed to my 25mpg driving like a granny

I'll take the loss of 1mpg and enjoy driving again

Just filled up today. Pretty bad like always. 230 miles on 12.5 Gallon. never got more than 250 miles. I used Mobil1 since new, mobil1 ATF, tires to 38PSI, Just recharged K&N air filter, drive like my great grandmother. What else i can do to gain more MPG?? Cost me $50 to fill up today, @ 3.95 Gallon
My car is a 02 Protege5 with only 42K miles, and it's a Automagic.

Just filled up today. Pretty bad like always. 230 miles on 12.5 Gallon. never got more than 250 miles. I used Mobil1 since new, mobil1 ATF, tires to 38PSI, Just recharged K&N air filter, drive like my great grandmother. What else i can do to gain more MPG?? Cost me $50 to fill up today, @ 3.95 Gallon

You SHOULD be getting better then that! I think you need to try a tune up. Do you have heavey aftermarket rims or something to that effect?

I just filled up today and got 302 miles out of 12.9 gallons with 100% city and some "spirited" driving.

Spirited acceleration doesn't cost you much, there is hardly any difference in how much gas you burn getting up to a given speed quickly or slowly, so long as you don't let the revs go too high. As for slowing down, I'm not sure that it makes much difference if you brake or coast to a full stop. Either way all of the car's kinetic energy becomes heat. Years ago I made a concerted effort to try to measure the difference (coast vs. brake) in my old manual 323, and I couldn't measure any difference doing one tank coasting and the other tank braking. Speeding up and slowing down for no reason is clearly a waste. Adjusting your speed to hit green lights, and so avoid avoid stopping, saves the most gas, but it can be almost impossible to do when the lights are traffic triggered.

I have a stock 2003 auto and it always gives 21 to 22 MPG in pure city driving, 29 or 30 MPG on the highway. The city MPG sucks, but that seems to be about the best the autos can do. You saw 18.4 mpg, so something isn't right. Maybe one of your brakes is dragging a little? Or try changing the plugs. Also make sure you don't have the heating system set up so that the compressor runs all the time.

The ride must be brutal with the tires at 38PSI.

LOL yeah the ride sucks @ 38PSI, especially in NYC haha . going to replace brakes soon, also i'll try the spark plugs too. which plug is good? OEM??

I have a stock 2003 auto and it always gives 21 to 22 MPG in pure city driving, 29 or 30 MPG on the highway. The city MPG sucks, but that seems to be about the best the autos can do. You saw 18.4 mpg, so something isn't right. Maybe one of your brakes is dragging a little? Or try changing the plugs. Also make sure you don't have the heating system set up so that the compressor runs all the time.

The ride must be brutal with the tires at 38PSI.

the subaru I usually drive has to go in for maint... so I'm borrowing my rents corolla. bumps me from 26-27 up to about 35. I'll take it! lol.
half a tank cost me 25 bucks though. UGH.

LOL yeah the ride sucks @ 38PSI, especially in NYC haha . going to replace brakes soon, also i'll try the spark plugs too. which plug is good? OEM??

I bought a set of OEM plugs at the dealer and amazingly enough the price was reasonable. I don't recall the exact amount, but it was only something like $2.50 per plug.

My rx7 is bridgeported and gets about 11mpg and commute roughly 50 miles total a day. It was getting very expensive..

I just got an MP5 about two weeks ago as a DD and can't stop looking at the trip.. I'm so excited, I've only filled up once so far and have about 325 miles on this tank with 1/4 or so left..

I just rant hsi take dry and managed 27.3mpg!! A new record high for me. Yes thats all in town!!!

My rx7 is bridgeported and gets about 11mpg and commute roughly 50 miles total a day. It was getting very expensive..

I just got an MP5 about two weeks ago as a DD and can't stop looking at the trip.. I'm so excited, I've only filled up once so far and have about 325 miles on this tank with 1/4 or so left..

!!!!!!!!!!!

fill up to a above yellow light

=220 miles

i DONT GET IT! i will never see 300-400 miles on one tank of fuel. no even close

278 just under 1/2 tank
IMG_1685Small.jpg

how in the hell are some of you guys getting 400+ miles on a tank? i know i'm not driving THAT fast... lol amazing...

writen by me on page 3 i also have mazda3 wheels with 215/40/17's running 40 psi
My P5 is a 5 speed stock other than my air box is modified,every thing removed before the air box. I also dropped it with HP blues which makes no difference on MPG. I am running 10w30 synthetic oil and my trany has synthetic. I know our fuel is better than the northern states winter fuel.I also have been driving the speed limit every where I go. I drive 19 miles to work my first 9 are all city my next 8 are 50 mph than my last 2 are city.
I have been getting 425 to 450 87 oct.

Last edited:
I seriously think the guys that report high milage per tank are the stick guys doign mostly highway.

I do drive a stick and am 100% city driving...I deliver pizzas full time, and have no problem getting around in a timely manner, I just have learned really well to time up stop lights so that I am not constantly having to stop and accelerate all the time...

Driving a stick does have something to do with it, but most of it is like scratch said, timing your traffic lights. accelerating from a roll is way more effecient than from a dead stop.

Back