Another Firmware Question

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GS
I’ve read a bunch of the information about this, but my question is, is there any real advantage for me to update from version 59 to version 70 on a 2017 CX 5? I don’t plan to install an Apple Play system. I already have two thumb drives loaded with the first update to the higher version of 59 that includes failsafe, sorry, didn’t look up the full numbers on these, and the latest version 70 without the failsafe file. I just got cold feet at this point not wanting to screw something up when it’s working fine as is.

If I recall (not sure it is still true), v70 is only for CarPlay and AndroidAuto.
My '17 GT has v59, and it does not give me much trouble if any.

For me, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." - Texan

For me, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Yeah, I got all ready to do this, then got thinking the same thing. I understand the procedure, I've watched some videos and read the long version of the instructions. It seems that as long as you go slowly and carefully you'd be fine. But once I found out that it would require a hardware update to use Apple Play, I'm not that unhappy with things the way they are. Everything works right now, and I'd hate to break it. I'm 4 hours from the nearest dealer in good weather so... pretty much out here on my own.

Yeah, I got all ready to do this, then got thinking the same thing. I understand the procedure, I've watched some videos and read the long version of the instructions. It seems that as long as you go slowly and carefully you'd be fine. But once I found out that it would require a hardware update to use Apple Play, I'm not that unhappy with things the way they are. Everything works right now, and I'd hate to break it. I'm 4 hours from the nearest dealer in good weather so... pretty much out here on my own.
Only update if you plan to do the CarPlay/android auto upgrade, if not, not worth it if everything works the way you want it to.

If it works dont changen it.

This the path I did it. I had some funky issues with the phone so had to update to fix.

1. v59 -> v70.0.100
70.0.100 has failsafe install first then the actual firmware install.
2. v70.0.100 -> 70.0.335
335 is direct install. no failsafe install needed.

30-40 mins for each update.

Eventually I added the hub for AA/carplay. Primarily for the faster charging. Rarely carplay.

If it works dont changen it.

This the path I did it. I had some funky issues with the phone so had to update to fix.

1. v59 -> v70.0.100
70.0.100 has failsafe install first then the actual firmware install.
2. v70.0.100 -> 70.0.335
335 is direct install. no failsafe install needed.

30-40 mins for each update.

Eventually I added the hub for AA/carplay. Primarily for the faster charging. Rarely carplay.
Thank you. Those are the files I have loaded and ready to go. I couldn’t remember the exact version numbers when I wrote the original post. For now, I think I'll just leave it alone.

I'm currently on firmware version 70.00.367 NA N, so the question is: Is it possible to either,

1. Achieve Serial access to install AIO Tweaks
2. Downgrade from v70.00.367 NA N to v70.00.335 NA N or .352?

Thanks and happy holidays!

Nevermind, downgraded to .352 and performed the ID7 Recovery V2 procedure successfully... I now have AIO Tweaks installed!

Thanks a ton!

WHat 59 do you have? I assume .502 or higher or this would be a different conversation. ;)

Nevermind, downgraded to .352 and performed the ID7 Recovery V2 procedure successfully... I now have AIO Tweaks installed!

Thanks a ton!
@SergioNayar You mean you did the whole serial connection method? Or just updated the software?

I have the v70.00.367A (4N A version) and it requires the whole serial connection ID7 Recovery V2 method. I'm thinking if it is possible to downgrade it to .352 without performing this method as it is VERY difficult.

Can this be done this way?

for 367 - not possible with any method.
for lower version i.e 352 - its possible.
and yes you can downgrade and you do need /require the serial connection. No way without it.

In any case, better not touch it or the warranty goes down the drain on the system. Aio was useful years ago when there was no Carplay or AA and touch screen worked, etc.
Its becoming a thing of the past nowadays and getting obsolete more or less. Its no longer possible on 2021 CX5 and future CX5s.

Last edited:
for 367 - not possible with any method.
for lower version i.e 352 - its possible.
and yes you can downgrade and you do need /require the serial connection. No way without it.

In any case, better not touch it or the warranty goes down the drain on the system. Aio was useful years ago when there was no Carplay or AA and touch screen worked, etc.
Its becoming a thing of the past nowadays and getting obsolete more or less. Its no longer possible on 2021 CX5 and future CX5s.

Many thanks for your reply...

Its becoming a thing of the past nowadays and getting obsolete more or less.
I disagree. It's worth it if only for enabling the touch screen while driving, plus there are other good tweaks included. You can also (in theory - I have not tried it yet) enable wireless Android Auto with it.

I'm new to the CX-9, I've had it 2 weeks. I have .352 version. The 367A will fix what exactly?

I find the Android Auto touch screen not working very well. I have an iPhone for work and the Apple Carplay seems to work better. I am going in for an oil change tomorrow, how much will they charge to update it?

Thanks.

Back