Another Boom Zoom Zoom

lcruz64

:
03 MSP
I was on my way to the shop and the car just stalls. I turn it on and drive about 100 feet and hear this clicking noise out of the engine. It was a melted piston knocking the spark plug's head. (blowup) Boost was set to stock when this happenned and had just installed the FMIC Kit from HiBoost. Had boosted to 10psi before that but didn't notice anything wrong at the time. So plans now are to get MAM's rods and pistons unless is too much $$ The shop is charging me $960.00 to hone the block and put in the new pistons. Is this a good price? If I wanted to change only 1 piston it will come out around the same price for labor but parts will be a lot cheaper. The only problem is that this is my only way to work so the more time it stays in the shop the more money I'm going to end up spending.

Update: Ordered Rods and Pistons from MAM I'll get some pics of the whole thing still haven't taken anything a part will wait for the parts and then start on the project if you guys have any input that will be nice.

Last edited:
I hope that $960 includes taking out and dropping the engine back in because that is very expensive...

Melted a stock piston? B.s. I say. Your pistons broke before the stock rods?

or you ran the car low on oil and spun a bearing, and at that point they will NEED to pull the crank and machine it and you will need oversized rod bearings, and then you might as well get a new engine at that point

Aricjm15 said:
or you ran the car low on oil and spun a bearing, and at that point they will NEED to pull the crank and machine it and you will need oversized rod bearings, and then you might as well get a new engine at that point

yep! thats what happened to me. Crank was fux0red.

my god - the more I am around this forum the more I am convinced that QA on the FSDE is a joke. It's not that the engine isn't capable, it's just such a delicate POS sometimes. Still, I miss my boosted pro every time I turn the key.

Micah said:
my god - the more I am around this forum the more I am convinced that QA on the FSDE is a joke. It's not that the engine isn't capable, it's just such a delicate POS sometimes. Still, I miss my boosted pro every time I turn the key.

its a limited edition though.

Actually the motor is one tough son of a gun, they just use cheap parts when it came to the rods.

How exactly can you melt a cast iron piston or cast iron material...it would have to be super hot. or some sort of lubercation problem. Either way im sure its not what happened to your car,

my car is at 27,000 miles and it hasnt been back to the dealer yet...only for a reflash. im always been on stock boost and recently I loged in a pretty good gas mialge for the car.

Last edited:
lcruz64 said:
They said it could be done without taking the engine out.
That is too much if all they are gonna do is hone and drop in the pistons and rods for you. Ask them to break it down in hours...

Back