Android 5.0 Lollipop

Pipemajor

Hoot Mon!
:
Minnesota
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Verizon pushed out a major OTA upgrade of their Android OS on my Samsung S4 today. I previously had 4.4.0 KitKat and it seemed to work. SMS message download and playback still work.

Maybe it's just me but the NB1 phone and audio screens have a bit more splash in the background than the prior Android OS. There is also a folder prev/next button I didn't notice before.

Besides, it was a catchy tune in it's day...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYoRaxgOE0

Last edited:
The lollipop update added avrcp 1.4, which has folder search capabilities as well as shuffle and repeat control. I also noticed that the lollipop update improved the music processing, previously some of my vbr songs would skip and glitch, but they don't any more.

Don't have Verizon but

Verizon pushed out a major OTA upgrade of their Android OS on my Samsung S4 today. I previously had 4.4.0 KitKat and it seemed to work. SMS message download and playback still work.

Maybe it's just me but the NB1 phone and audio screens have a bit more splash in the background than the prior Android OS. There is also a folder prev/next button I didn't notice before.

Besides, it was a catchy tune in it's day...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYoRaxgOE0

Don't have Verizon but, I think I am going to wait for 5.1 to arrive on AT&T. It is a bug fix for 5.0.

What? Did I miss this previously or is this a NEW feature?

Not only can I download, store, playback and reply to SMS txt messages, I managed to download all my unread EML email messages. Not sure how valuable that will be. I have multiple inboxes on my connected device.

The lollipop update added avrcp 1.4, which has folder search capabilities as well as shuffle and repeat control. I also noticed that the lollipop update improved the music processing, previously some of my vbr songs would skip and glitch, but they don't any more.

What do you do to see folder, search, shuffle and repeat functions? Which player app do you use when these are visible on the display?
Playback skips was a known bug that has been addressed in L, but I think some people still have issues.

I use the stock player. The folder buttons don't actually seem to do anything, not sure about repeat or shuffle. I haven't spent any time on it though. I also have noticed that playback resume is more consistent than it used to be. Previously, I always had to start the music app before playback would resume. It now resumes most of the time automatically.

Craparoonies!

What? Did I miss this previously or is this a NEW feature?

Not only can I download, store, playback and reply to SMS txt messages, I managed to download all my unread EML email messages. Not sure how valuable that will be. I have multiple inboxes on my connected device.

Craparoonies! I said I wanted to wait for 5.1, but GF was curious and updated my MOTO G 2nd Gen to 5.0!
I hope it is as stable as KitKat 4.4...TG for $150 smart Phones..(idhitit)

BTW: I must be the only one in the world that has SMS disabled (at the carrier level too)...Keeps us out of trouble in the car!
The Police have become (rightfully) aggressive with texting, even when stopped at a light. (OK by ME!)

Last edited:
The only issue I have noticed thus far is that my phone screen behavior during calls has changed. The infrared sensor doesn't seem to be functioning as it should, so I have to wake the screen up during a call and it won't auto back to off when you put it back up to your face.

On the plus side, my battery life seems much better.

Which app is "stock player"? Mine is Google Music, as it is a Nexus 5 device. At some point I also had also Amazon music, but I only used it once or twice.

Just the "Music" app. Not sure if that's a touchwiz app or if it is an android app. I am not a huge fan of the play music app, the interface kinda bothers me.

I have the new update and now see emails on my car but no sound. It acts like it's playing something but I can't hear it - the speaker button has an X when it's playing. Any ideas?? It worked perfectly before. I have unpaired and repaired it a couple times but I can't get it to do anything different.

I fixed my problem by going through the painful process of a hard reset and then I redownloaded downloaded the software via kies and started over again, it looks like maybe I just got a bad firmware version. Everything seems to be working , including reading out the emails and text messages on the car although I do not like the color schemes of the new lollipop. I did notice the emails are only from my gmail account but I wonder if there's a way to turn this off because it's going to be kind of annoying if I get a lot of emails.

Lollipop

The only issue I have noticed thus far is that my phone screen behavior during calls has changed. The infrared sensor doesn't seem to be functioning as it should, so I have to wake the screen up during a call and it won't auto back to off when you put it back up to your face.

On the plus side, my battery life seems much better.

Having had a few days to play around with Lollipop on my Moto G (2nd Gen), I have noticed that its behavior with the BT setup in the CX-5 has been uneventful thus far. (luckily)

I can only speak of its stability (GOOD) "pair wise" as was KitKat 4.4 with the CX-5. The Version on my At&T(actually is Consumer Cellular using At&T towers)phone a few days of operation. Supposedly We will have to wait for 5.04(?) to fix that one. 5.03 on my phone will still show apps in memory that were used days ago, and the phone eventually slows down, with those retained apps having to be force quit to temporarily "fix" it.

There are a ton of wallpaper selections but they have CUT (drastically) the number of "stock" ringtones on the Motorola variant. Battery life was and is not a problem here.

I usually switch over to the other phone (a ROOTED LG P-870) running good ole Jelly Bean 4.2 for the summer. It is small and fits more easily in my summer pockets.(nana) I am happy with either.

Last edited:
Back