AMD or Intel

AMD or Intel

• AMD

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Intel

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
Kooldino said:

Ahhh, yes and no. Some computers will be better at certain tasks, but some computers will beat other computers at everything.

He he! I definately agree with you on that!
(redp5)

Re: Re: Re: No end in sight.....

Allen said:
Actually, you're dead wrong. Ever hear of the "PR" system? AMD and Cyrix used that system (PR=Performance Rating) just because their clock speeds were lower, but performed on par with higher clocked Intels.

"Pentium Rating" !!!! Hahahaha, please don't grace this wonderful forum with that disgusting history again!! LOL. 486 is a 486 ... that was all Cyrix and AMD could muster up with while Intel had the Pentium out. They were not on par in performance with higher clocked Intels (which Intel so happened to call Pentiums)... AMD/Cyrix had nothing else besides the 486 ... and THEY (AMD/Cyrix) were the culprit of "higher clocked" CPUs that ran near Pentium performance.... not the other way around with Intel. AMD's 486 chip was DECENT ... I had one (and probably still do) ... but it was nothing compared to the Pentium. AMD was smart enough to stop that nonsense real fast, but I think Cyrix stuck with the "PR-rating" even after being bought out and making chips for 3rd world countries.
[/B]

FIRST of all, the K5 is not a 486, that's the K4. You should know this being as you have one. The K5 is a 5x86 CPU.
SECOND, of all, K5's were on par with the original Pentium CPU. If you don't beleive me, look it up for yourself. I tried to find some links for you, but supposedly K5 benchmarks are hard to come by...here's what I found for ya...

http://www.amtguide.com/cpu/index.html
http://www3pub.amd.com/products/cpg/k5/21088a.html
http://www3pub.amd.com/products/cpg/k5/20010b.html

The only benches I found were on AMD's site, so of course they're gonna show you the benches that their own CPU beats Intel's in.
But REALLY, clock for clock K5's were the fastest PC CPU at the time.

As for your bashing of the "PR" system...well, If consumers all knew what I know, it wouldn't be in place. But your typical consumer in uninformed, and knows only clock speed and brand name. They'd see some "116Mhz AMD CPU" vs a "166Mhz Intel CPU" and naturally would pay twice as much for the Intel. Why? Because of brand name, and the only thing average people know about CPUs...clock speed. I don't like the PR system much either, but it has to be there for your average joe. Notice AMD brought it back with it's "XP2200+", etc system...which you neglected to notice.

As for Cyrix, they were bought out a while back by VIA, and they released a few really poor CPUs. They run really cool tho! Hehe. Oh, and they didn't just release CPU's for "other countries" like you say...you can basically get any CPU anywhere...that doesn't make sense.
Oh, and as for the K6's, the K6's were endlessley faster than the originial Celerons. BIG time...in every which way.

I'd dispute this because I know you are exaggerating on the performance gap, but I have no exact recollection of the performance data at this time. Reason why I say this is because I used to use K6 chips and I've heard a lot of arguements about how a Celeron was better than the K6.... especially from a "hardcore computer geek" friend who reminds me of you.

First of all, I exaggerate nothing. I base my argument PURELY on facts. I don't hate either AMD or Intel, so I side with neither. It's not like we're debating over our favorite sports teams of something. You're disputing it because you "know" I'm exaggerating on the performance gap? D00d, I hate to say it, but you don't really "know" anything here. Everything you "do" know, I've proved wrong so far. And if you "know" so much hit me with a URL that proves me wrong. As for Celeron vs K6...the later Celerons were better (probably what your friend said if he was educated) but note that I said ORIGINAL Celerons...which were REALLY REALLY slow. The original Celeron 300 was slower than a K6 233MMX. Original Celerons were significantly slower than anything else on the mark it? Wanna prove me wrong? Look up some facts, bonehead. :p

Yes and no. The Athlon was the first AMD CPU that put AMD ahead of Intel (which was a landmark in history), however, it still would have been an exceptional performer had it not licensed the EV6 bus from Alpha.

Uhmm... so how do you think the Athlon would perform WITHOUT the EV6 bus from Alpha architecture? The existence of the Athlon depended on the Alpha core , minus Alpha would have equaled a superficial K6-4+ or whatever.... Sure as well didn't spawn form an IMPROVED K6 core....

It would have performed fine without the EV6 bus. It might have been about a 5% perfomance decrease if it didn't use the EV6 bus.

Actually the Pentium II was merely a Pentium Pro with MMX instructions. So to say that the P Pro was good and the PII was merely "decent" is like saying that the mazda mp3 is good, but the mazdaspeed protege is "decent".

Hee hee, you take my words out of context. Fine. Pentium Pro was a revolutionary chip.... are you going to disagree with me on that? Pentium II was a FINE chip... but nothing as grand as the Pro when it came out.

The PII and the P Pro were only about a year and a half apart...you're trying to save face...but my protege analogy is dead on.
Ehhh...64 bit CPUs aren't necesserily any faster than 32 bit ones...they are just more precise. Not saying that you said 64 bit CPUs were faster, but just making sure here. The Athlon will still be around next year and will be taking the Duron's place. The P4 should have a new core revision around the time of the release of the Hammer, but based on what I'm reading, it just won't matter. Hammer will own!

Well, I also hope the Hammer will own. But you can't push a 64bit chip against a 32bit chip as was exposed in previous discussion. That just doesn't level out right.

Only Athlon that will be worth the performance is the Athlon 4 ... in the notebooks. Athlons are maxing out of room to increase their speed even under the .13 micron die.

Uh...the tbred Athlons (the latest XP's) are also in the .13 die...not just the notebooks. But yes, Athlons are running out of steam. But hell, can you blame them? They've lasted through TWO generations of Pentiums (P3 and 4).

Seriously d00d, not to be a d1ck, but don't waste my time replying until you're gonna show me real facts. I know you THINK you know stuff, but you really don't. While I give you credit for knowing more than your average joe, I also take soem credit away, since half of what you "know" is wrong. Computers are my life. I'm a hardcore computer geek. You're arguments are SO poor and SOOOO inaccurate it's almost laughable. This isn't a personal attack, but you're really in over your head here.

Oh, and BTW, "PR" stands for "Performance Rating", not "Pentium Rating"

:wtf:

OK well I read every freakin post on here... yes I am that bored at work.. LOL

From what I know and talked to my computer nerdy friends, Kooldino is correct. BUT, even if he wasn't... and Allen IF your arguments where true.. You are still paying more for very little performance increases.....

Here is an example that you should understand; I know the mazdaspeed isn't $35 k but it's exagerated for my point here....

Mp3 Price of $18 5000 140 Hp

Mazdaspeed Protege: $35 000 170 Hp....

See the difference... even though the mazdaspeed might be slighty faster with it's added 30 Hp.... doesn't mean it' s the better deal. but this is the case only if your arguement was true.... so in essence you are wrong both ways... your points being right or wrong... you still end up paying for an overpriced, overadvertised chip....

Jc

Last edited:
OK, I'm by no means a computer geek, so I know jack about this stuff, and I need a new computer for school, and I figured I'd opt for AMD because it's cheaper. I was kinda worried about its performance being worst, but after reading through all these posts (wow I'm bored), I figure it's not necessarily a bad choice :)

Now, the whole reason I made this post is since choosing an AMD processor has meant a bigger budget for a motherboard, and not just randomly choosing one. What do you guys recommend? I'm still not looking at top of the line or anything, just something that's a good deal and doesn't perform too badly.

Kooldino

Gee, personal attacks....

That's okay, if you get so upset about responding to me where you have to resort to pitiful retaliatory remarks then we can stop as you wish. I will not waste YOUR time for typing out how I am so inaccurate with my information in a "you say he say" tug-o-war.

JcsMP3 said:
OK well I read every freakin post on here... yes I am that bored at work.. LOL

From what I know and talked to my computer nerdy friends, Kooldino is correct. BUT, even if he wasn't... and Allen IF your arguments where true.. You are still paying more for very little performance increases.....

Here is an example that you should understand; I know the mazdaspeed isn't $35 k but it's exagerated for my point here....

Mp3 Price of $18 5000 140 Hp

Mazdaspeed Protege: $35 000 170 Hp....

See the difference... even though the mazdaspeed might be slighty faster with it's added 30 Hp.... doesn't mean it' s the better deal. but this is the case only if your arguement was true.... so in essence you are wrong both ways... your points being right or wrong... you still end up paying for an overpriced, overadvertised chip....

Jc

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.... which chip you think I'm supporting here? I've mentioned the AMD Athlon is a better deal than any Intel series except for the P4... furthermore, the P4 should not be used to compete against the Athlon. I did not disagree that AMD's future processor could surpass the P4, but I did say that the K5 and K6 were lesser chips to Intel's P1, P2, P3 chips. He stands behind the PR issue and I've disagreed by telling him so why... he disagrees to my explanation and then some... and that's the end of that.

What I'm talking about to Kooldino, if he could lessen his steam about being a hardcore computer geek, is that history did not show AMD to be the chip to be with until the Athlon came around. He's trying to tell the rest of us how AMD is a better chip for the folks in the "know". That's bulls*** and he doesn't like it when others dispute that fact.

I rarely see him show links, except for last post, which I dismissed without looking at it, because I'm not going to sit here and play name-calling when I thought our discussion was friendly. Although, he screams and stomps for ME to post links? So he thinks everybody has all the time in the world to chase after links to prove him wrong? Whatever ....

Chill out guys...freedom of choice...lets not loose it over cpu chips...just like all the other brand disputes...both sides have their advantages and disadvantages...thats life.

Chill out...

(bicker)

(no)

Thanks...

hakushi no sakura said:
OK, I'm by no means a computer geek, so I know jack about this stuff, and I need a new computer for school, and I figured I'd opt for AMD because it's cheaper. I was kinda worried about its performance being worst, but after reading through all these posts (wow I'm bored), I figure it's not necessarily a bad choice :)

Now, the whole reason I made this post is since choosing an AMD processor has meant a bigger budget for a motherboard, and not just randomly choosing one. What do you guys recommend? I'm still not looking at top of the line or anything, just something that's a good deal and doesn't perform too badly.

Best bang for the buck is the Epox 8k3a. I got mine a MONTH ago for $82 shipped. I'd reckon it's cheaper than that now.

Re: Kooldino

Allen said:
Gee, personal attacks....

That's okay, if you get so upset about responding to me where you have to resort to pitiful retaliatory remarks then we can stop as you wish. I will not waste YOUR time for typing out how I am so inaccurate with my information in a "you say he say" tug-o-war.

All's I'm saying is, if you ARE gonna post just double check what you're writing before you hit "Submit Reply". It's seriously time consuming finding data to back up my points (proving yours wrong). If you do post more stuff, just take the time to back it up with real evidence first, since a lot of your previous posts are based off of opinion and heresay, not fact.

Re: Re: Kooldino

Kooldino said:

All's I'm saying is, if you ARE gonna post just double check what you're writing before you hit "Submit Reply". It's seriously time consuming finding data to back up my points (proving yours wrong). If you do post more stuff, just take the time to back it up with real evidence first, since a lot of your previous posts are based off of opinion and heresay, not fact.

Karl Childers in Sling Blade, "UH HUHmm.." :rolleyes:

Allen said:

What I'm talking about to Kooldino, if he could lessen his steam about being a hardcore computer geek, is that history did not show AMD to be the chip to be with until the Athlon came around.
I never disputed your last statement. Until the Athlon came out, Intel ALWAYS had a faster performing chip than AMD. That's a fact.

He's trying to tell the rest of us how AMD is a better chip for the folks in the "know". That's bulls*** and he doesn't like it when others dispute that fact.

I never said it was a better chips for folks in the "know", I said that folks in the "know" tend to use AMD. That also, is a fact. Go look up some polls. Actually...here...there's a few on this site. Look up and AMD vs INTEL or CPU poll. AMD is overwhelmingly favored. And no, it's not BS...go look it up for yourself.

http://www.anandtech.com/polls.html

I rarely see him show links, except for last post, which I dismissed without looking at it, because I'm not going to sit here and play name-calling when I thought our discussion was friendly. Although, he screams and stomps for ME to post links? So he thinks everybody has all the time in the world to chase after links to prove him wrong? Whatever ....

I don't need to constantly post links, because I speak only the truth. I've gone out of my way a few times to show you you're wrong. You speculate that I'm wrong, and then vomit out some BS inaccurate info. Then when I prove you wrong, you don't even acknowledge it. See how frustrating that is? If you feel that ANYTHING I said in this thread is inaccurate, please...prove me wrong. But do it with FACTS, not on your "speculation". You're no expert, so back up your statements with facts. Oh wait, you can't, because half of them are wrong. Ugh.

Anyway, my main point in this thread is this: I'm not trying to say that Intel is better or AMD is better. They're just different. Right now, Intel's CPUs are faster. Also right now, AMD's CPUs are a better bang for the buck. So basically this is my philosophy. If you want absolute top performance, go with Intel all the way. If you want anything but the fastest...go with AMD. Pretty good rule of thumb.

Also, in reply to your comment about how the Athlon shouldn't be put against the P4...Why not? Until recently, it has been faster...(despite what you said earlier..."right now AMD has the upper hand performance wise). My point is that they're both 32 bit CPUs...but one is a little faster than the other. They're definitely both still in the same league tho. They were designed to compete with each other. If the P4 shouldn't compete w/ the Athlon, what do you suggest Intel do? Use the Celeron? That's ridiculous.

Anyway, unless you bring out some good facts here, I think you'll have to chalk up this debate as a loss. Just about everything we debated about, I proved you wrong on (except for the PR thing, but that's subjective, and even marketing experts agree with me on that one).

Antoine said:
Chill out guys...freedom of choice...lets not loose it over cpu chips...just like all the other brand disputes...both sides have their advantages and disadvantages...thats life.

Chill out...

(bicker)

(no)

Thanks...

Hey man, I'm cool. But put yourself in my shoes. You devote your life to something, and then someone who obviously doesn't know what you do demands that you're wrong and you don't know what you're talking about when THEY don't. Can ya blame me? It's insulting.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Kooldino

Allen said:

Karl Childers in Sling Blade, "UH HUHmm.." :rolleyes:

Man, I gotta see that movie so i know WTF you're referring to. A friend of mine always makes references to it, but I can never "get" the joke.

Anyway, you're obviously being immature at this point since I'm asking you to prove me wrong, and you do nothing but try to look cool and roll your eyes. C'mon man, grow up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kooldino

Kooldino said:

Man, I gotta see that movie so i know WTF you're referring to. A friend of mine always makes references to it, but I can never "get" the joke.

Anyway, you're obviously being immature at this point since I'm asking you to prove me wrong, and you do nothing but try to look cool and roll your eyes. C'mon man, grow up.

It's a pretty cool movie, I just watched it not too long ago myself. Nevermind me rolling eyes then... that phrase was the first thing that came to mind. LOL.

Uhmm.. our discussion on THIS topic has ended. You can start or continue with someone else. Sorry.

Woo HOO.. I would have never thought we could make a flame war over chips..

Like Antoine Said... it aint no thing.. Everything yall are talking about will be obselete in 2 years, some kid from Montana will come out with a $4.00 chip that will blow everyone away

katsmp3 said:
Woo HOO.. I would have never thought we could make a flame war over chips..

Like Antoine Said... it aint no thing.. Everything yall are talking about will be obselete in 2 years, some kid from Montana will come out with a $4.00 chip that will blow everyone away

I've seen MANY a heated debate over chips! And I'm not talking about the time some bully stole my Doritos either.

HAHAHA, kid from Montanta, $4 chip. I don't know about all that, BUT I've seen a few random chip companies pop out of nowhere lately. None of them have been any good yet. LOL.

Kooldino said:

Hey man, I'm cool. But put yourself in my shoes. You devote your life to something, and then someone who obviously doesn't know what you do demands that you're wrong and you don't know what you're talking about when THEY don't. Can ya blame me? It's insulting.

Whew, don't get too overheated buddy.

I have a degree in CS with a minor in MIS and I hear that I don't know what I am talking about all the time. In fact, everytime I talk to a user for the systems I support, I am told I am wrong. Whether I prove the truth or not, it makes no difference...
Hmmm, one day I think I will agree with them, just so they tell me I am right. ;)

fastdrvr23 said:

Whew, don't get too overheated buddy.

I have a degree in CS with a minor in MIS and I hear that I don't know what I am talking about all the time. In fact, everytime I talk to a user for the systems I support, I am told I am wrong. Whether I prove the truth or not, it makes no difference...
Hmmm, one day I think I will agree with them, just so they tell me I am right. ;)

Overheated? I'm fine man...cracka, i'm INTERCOOLED! :p

Hehe, ok then...so based on what you tell me, you should know what I'm talking about and understand how I could be offended, as you go through it all day long.

Kooldino said:

Overheated? I'm fine man...cracka, i'm INTERCOOLED! :p

Hehe, ok then...so based on what you tell me, you should know what I'm talking about and understand how I could be offended, as you go through it all day long.

Yeah, I was trying to tell you that I know how it is... in my own round-about way. :) I just got off the phone a few minutes ago with a lady here at work who told me that I didn't know anything... :rolleyes: Being the smartass that I am, I asked why it was that everyone else up there in her dept. refers to her as the "computer idiot". She hung up. Oh well... It's all good.

Back