Am I really down on power?

Nascop5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I just got an ELM327 OBD2 scanner and saw that I'm getting the code P0660. Which is the VICS solenoid malfunctioning/being shot. (Is it the green one or the white one? I've seen people say both on the forum, already ordered a replacement FS05-18-741) I see that it activates at about 4750 and it usually throws the code after 5200. As soon as I got the car both my brother and I said it felt gutless after 4500. I've been driving the car like a hooligan as long as I've had it. Not once have I torque steered or under-steered, I don't have a LSD because I've tested it, one wheel on dirt, one wheel on tarmac, launch, I only spin one wheel on dirt. I don't know how long this code has been on, have I been down on so much power for so long that I can't even torque steer, or understeer? Am I missing those last few horses or torques that allow me to go that tiny bit faster, and encounter typical FWD problems? Also what bolt ons have been known to add torque? On the list of parts to order I have an SRI, RacingBeat Catback, MP3 Flashed ECU, VTCS delete, and soon to port and polish the intake manifold myself. What else can/ should I do to add torque through the midrange?

Protgs dont have much top end. But if your vics flaps aren't opening, you would have even less. It shouldn't be effecting the lower part of the rpm range though. Our cars are just that slow.

I have almost the exact same problem as the OP. I just can't believe it's this slow above 4500rpm. Mine falls on its face at 4k and barely climbs. The only difference I have noticed with my symptoms is that when the engine is colder I have way more power. I'd say when my thermo is displaying 1/4 way up I've got power. Once I'm at normal operating Temps she falls flat. What could be my problem? Ive replaced coils wires and cats to no avail

Back