Airbag Light

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with tech pack
Didn't see any posts on this yet when I did a search for an Air bag light flashing 1 then 9, it's been 2 weeks since this started happening. Just dropped it off at the dealer, service manager said he hasn't seen any (2018 +) come in for this yet?...
Takata airbag, loose connection, seat sensors?

Last edited:
Flashing equates to a code..equates to a fault at a particular airbag. Perhaps one has loose wiring connections. Check you connections under both seats. The other ones are pretty much behind panels. Surprised dealership couldn't diagnosis.

Hoping it's just a loose connection, are they that easy to come loose on a new(ish) vehicle?

Flashing equates to a code..equates to a fault at a particular airbag. Perhaps one has loose wiring connections. Check you connections under both seats. The other ones are pretty much behind panels. Surprised dealership couldn't diagnosis.

No, they are normally very secure UNLESS the car has had some work done on it. Any repairs or accessories fitted?

Just watched your video. It*s not an airbag warning that is a callout from the car saying *turn that effing sh1t off the radio* ;-)

No work other than a replacement windshield when it was 2 weeks old , no accidents or mods...

No, they are normally very secure UNLESS the car has had some work done on it. Any repairs or accessories fitted?

LOL, it was playing on the radio while I was parked waiting for the service adviser...

Just watched your video. It*s not an airbag warning that is a callout from the car saying *turn that effing sh1t off the radio* ;-)

Hoping it's just a loose connection, are they that easy to come loose on a new(ish) vehicle?

When I installed my sound system I noticed the wiring underneath the seats were firmly in place. I have not noticed any sloppy wiring anywhere actually. That said, have you unplugged your battery for about 10 minutes? Perhaps you need some type of system reset.

For future reference, should the battery start going bad, the CX-5 is the type of car that will inhibit electrical gremlins which will resolve immediately after installing a new battery.

No, I didn't disconnect the battery, great info...

When I installed my sound system I noticed the wiring underneath the seats were firmly in place. I have not noticed any sloppy wiring anywhere actually. That said, have you unplugged your battery for about 10 minutes? Perhaps you need some type of system reset.

For future reference, should the battery start going bad, the CX-5 is the type of car that will inhibit electrical gremlins which will resolve immediately after installing a new battery.

He posted after dropping it off at the dealer. Missed that, didja? [emoji6][emoji16]

Service Adviser just called and said "There is a code for driver airbag steering wheel", and to remain in the (Mazda3) loaner car :(...

He posted after dropping it off at the dealer. Missed that, didja? [emoji6][emoji16]

Service Adviser just called and said "There is a code for driver airbag * steering wheel", and to remain in the (Mazda3) loaner car :(...

Yeah I read somewhere that the amount of flashes correlates to which airbag needs to be checked.

Hey what trim mazda3 they gave you? Should've given you a CX-9 or something.

I couldn't find any info on the error flash values. Not sure of the trim level , base level me thinks, it's the only loaner available (apparently?)...😤

Yeah I read somewhere that the amount of flashes correlates to which airbag needs to be checked.

Hey what trim mazda3 they gave you? Should've given you a CX-9 or something.

Picked it up last night after almost 3 weeks, a clock spring was replaced. Also had the CD recall done.
Not impressed, they left scratches on the steering wheel /horn cover that will need to be replaced when the part comes in.. (headshake

Steering wheel airbag you say?
I have the exact same flash sequence: 1 flash, followed by 2 flashes. And repeat.
It's been coming up intermittently over the last few weeks. I guess I'll have to bring to dealer.

Update: 9/30/2019. Dropped off at dealer. They gave us a loaner. Then, later in the day, they call me back... well this is embarrassing. Apparently we had to much stuff in the glove box and it was bumping into the airbag connectors in the dash. I think it should be designed so that this isn't possible, but we will have to cut down on the items we put in the mobile pantry.

Last edited:
Steering wheel airbag you say?
I have the exact same flash sequence: 1 flash, followed by 2 flashes. And repeat.
It's been coming up intermittently over the last few weeks. I guess I'll have to bring to dealer.

Update: 9/30/2019. Dropped off at dealer. They gave us a loaner. Then, later in the day, they call me back... well this is embarrassing. Apparently we had to much stuff in the glove box and it was bumping into the airbag connectors in the dash. I think it should be designed so that this isn't possible, but we will have to cut down on the items we put in the mobile pantry.
They gave me the same excuse. 3 times. It’s either a fault in design or faulty sensor. Either way we should report it to Home | NHTSA as that’s how recalls are decided. Hope you don’t have a repeat problem like me.

Back