AGM Battery Question

I searched, but didn't find the answer (or didn't search well enough). I want to upgrade to an X2 AGM. Did anyone need to connect to a batter charger or boost the alternator amperage?

Plus it gives me the excuse to change the tie-down to this one from Auto-Exe
1692907582712.png

I searched, but didn't find the answer (or didn't search well enough). I want to upgrade to an X2 AGM. Did anyone need to connect to a batter charger or boost the alternator amperage?

Plus it gives me the excuse to change the tie-down to this one from Auto-Exe
View attachment 321786
To me the only real benefit using an AGM battery is it doesn’t have liquid acid and you can use it even sideways. The optimal charging current may be different from flooded batteries, but changing the charging system isn’t required. I have an EverStart Platinum H8 AGM battery from WalMart in my 2000 BMW 528i for several years now and I didn’t change anything on charging system. The only reason I got it is the price was almost the same as flooded H8 batteries at the time, and much cheaper than the OEM flooded battery I was usually getting.

To me the only real benefit using an AGM battery is it doesn’t have liquid acid and you can use it even sideways. The optimal charging current may be different from flooded batteries, but changing the charging system isn’t required. I have an EverStart Platinum H8 AGM battery from WalMart in my 2000 BMW 528i for several years now and I didn’t change anything on charging system. The only reason I got it is the price was almost the same as flooded H8 batteries at the time, and much cheaper than the OEM flooded battery I was usually getting.
Battery acid was my other consideration. I didn't know the negative terminal on my old Escape was covered with it due to the windshield cowling (a nightmare I'm happy not to repeat). Though not the worst placement, it was a giant PITA for newbies.
Screenshot_20220202-092155_Viber.jpg

I changed out the original battery n my 2019 CX-5 GT R a few months ago with an AGM type battery I purchased at Walmart. No issues were encountered except I highly suggest with any new battery to put it on a charger before installing it. The date code on mine was only a month before I bought it but I put it on my CTEK battery minder and it took about 8 hrs. to bring it up to a fully charged reading.

No issues whatsoever with X2 agm. No need to change or do anything.
I got 2 in my two cars. One is 4+ years old.
Much better in the local heat here.
One was fully discharged to 3v (software bug i the new CX5) recharged with a charger and still going strong. They are expensive but if you want to spend the money, go for it

IMG_3692.jpeg

Back