Aftermarket head unit instead?

wild_indeed

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
What's up everybody! Planning on pulling the trigger on trading in my 06 civic for a (14 or 15) cx-5 in June. I have been reading some of the threads and I was just wondering about the head unit. In an effort to save some money I am planning on going for the sport model since it has more tech than my 06 anyway and then just upgrading to the bluetooth package. Do y'all think I would just be better off not doing that and spending the 400 dollars on an aftermarket head unit instead? I figure if I'm going to drop an extra 400 on bluetooth and iPod capability, I might as well spend it on something that works, right?

What's up everybody! Planning on pulling the trigger on trading in my 06 civic for a (14 or 15) cx-5 in June. I have been reading some of the threads and I was just wondering about the head unit. In an effort to save some money I am planning on going for the sport model since it has more tech than my 06 anyway and then just upgrading to the bluetooth package. Do y'all think I would just be better off not doing that and spending the 400 dollars on an aftermarket head unit instead? I figure if I'm going to drop an extra 400 on bluetooth and iPod capability, I might as well spend it on something that works, right?

If/when I do decide to get a CX-5, I would also consider getting an aftermarket head unit. Are you opting for the Sport because of the manual transmission?

Recently, I went from 2007 Civic Ex to 2014.5 Touring /w Bose CX-5. The Sport has 2.0L and really underpowered hurting resale value. If you go Touring 2.5L you are stuck with terrible stock radio. You can upgrade to Bose or go aftermarket. I went with Bose because it adds to resale value while aftermarket add-on adds zero to resale value.

If you go aftermarket, add up ALL the items you will need. There is a box to retain steering wheel audio controls for $200. Upgrading head unit, speakers, amp, and installing new reverse camera are not cheap.

Typically, you can get $1700 off msrp on a Touring /w Bose. Pretty much makes Bose free + $500.

BTW, The 2.5L is noticably quicker than the Civic, but gets same mpg in the city. Can have your cake and eat it too!

Are you aware of the TSB on the 2006-09 Civic engines? Honda extended engine warranty to 10 years because engine blocks crack. Unload it while you can.

Are you aware of the TSB on Civic paint? Most colors are on the list. Honda did a $4700 paint job on mine for free and made it easy to sell for top dollar.

If you sell your Civic instead of trading it in you will have more than enough extra money to upgrade to Touring /w Bose. I got $4000 more selling Civic myself on autotrader.com than Mazda dealer offered on trade in.

Last edited:
Recently, I went from 2007 Civic Ex to 2014.5 Touring /w Bose CX-5. The Sport has 2.0L and really underpowered hurting resale value. If you go Touring 2.5L you are stuck with terrible stock radio. You can upgrade to Bose or go aftermarket. I went with Bose because it adds to resale value while aftermarket add-on adds zero to resale value.

If you go aftermarket, add up ALL the items you will need. There is a box to retain steering wheel audio controls for $200. Upgrading head unit, speakers, amp, and installing new reverse camera are not cheap.
Bit of misinformation here. Going aftermarket will likely cost less than buying the Bose, and as for resale value, the Bose will probably add nothing (or very little) in the real world. In any case, the Bose head unit is identical to the standard touring one. The Bose adds an amplifier and additional speakers.

Cost of aftermarket? Having just done this, you need:

- New radio (I got Kenwood DDX471HD w/USB, BT and HD radio for ~$300)
- LAN/Steering wheel integration (PAC RP4-MZ11) for less than $100
- Trim/install kit and antenna adapter package (MAZCX56-13-00 from Spiral Installations) for $20
- Optional - rear camera around $20 from Amazon if you get a Sport. Or if you get a Touring reuse the camera, but need a 12V-6V power supply ($8 from Amazon)

Now, if you're not up to doing it yourself, the above does not apply and you'll need to pay more, probably, at Best Buy or similar to get it installed.

I'm adding a vote here for going aftermarket regardless. I purchased a 2014 touring to get the 2.5l - I wanted a sunroof so I had no choice to get the bose. After dealing with the terrible stock unit and it's shortcomings (annoying bluetooth popups, USB audio that does not resume) I went aftermarket sooner then I planned for. The Bose system is actually pretty good especially with the aftermarket HU.

What redbarron quoted out is extremely accurate. If you purchase your unit from Crutchfield they will even throw in the dash kit and give you the wiring interface for $80. They also throw in the antenna adapter which is cheap regardless.

Lot's of info on upgrading a sport sound system in a previous post titled, "Radio / Speakers on CX-5 SPORT model"

I am looking at getting a manual but if it doesn't happen I won't be heart broken over it. To be honest the 2.0 wasn't going to bother me because my civic is a 1.8 so I figured it would be a little quicker than I was used to anyway. I do like the idea of upgrading to the touring because of the Bose and the extra 30hp but it really just comes down to what kind of deal I can get.

Cc58, I did know about the TSBs but not too many of the major ones (and there were a ton) really applied to me...guess I got lucky. By the time the paint on it started to fade out and such I had already decided to get a new vehicle so I just didn't bother with it.

Redbaron, thanks so much for the pricing. I am starting to look at HUs now so I have an idea of what I would like. Been looking at the pioneer avhx4600 all morning. Anyone have any opinions on those? Would love to hear them!

Thanks for all the input!! Really helpin me out a lot!

I am looking at getting a manual but if it doesn't happen I won't be heart broken over it. To be honest the 2.0 wasn't going to bother me because my civic is a 1.8 so I figured it would be a little quicker than I was used to anyway. I do like the idea of upgrading to the touring because of the Bose and the extra 30hp but it really just comes down to what kind of deal I can get.

Cc58, I did know about the TSBs but not too many of the major ones (and there were a ton) really applied to me...guess I got lucky. By the time the paint on it started to fade out and such I had already decided to get a new vehicle so I just didn't bother with it.

Redbaron, thanks so much for the pricing. I am starting to look at HUs now so I have an idea of what I would like. Been looking at the pioneer avhx4600 all morning. Anyone have any opinions on those? Would love to hear them!

Before buying my unit I looked at the NAVI included equivalent to that Pioneer. I think it was the AVIC-z150bt and it looked nice enough. I ended up going with their 2014 top of the line unit though, the AVIC-8000NEX. It's much quicker and the UI is definitely nicer INHO. If it doesn't break the bank you might want to consider the AVH-4000NEX.

I'll look into it for sure! I did read the other thread but there was not as much info on HUs as I was looking for. Again, thanks for all the info

Before buying my unit I looked at the NAVI included equivalent to that Pioneer. I think it was the AVIC-z150bt and it looked nice enough. I ended up going with their 2014 top of the line unit though, the AVIC-8000NEX. It's much quicker and the UI is definitely nicer INHO. If it doesn't break the bank you might want to consider the AVH-4000NEX.

Are you still able to use your steering wheel buttons and the stock USB output?

Are you still able to use your steering wheel buttons and the stock USB output?

For the steering wheel...

[...]
Having just done this, you need:

[...]
- LAN/Steering wheel integration (PAC RP4-MZ11) for less than $100
Second, you can use the stock USB connection, but you have to run a USB cable to it and create a connector-adapter yourself. I've done this, but the steps are tricky - you have to be very handy with a Dremel - so I hadn't done a writeup (though I do have a prototype adapter I might be prepared to sell :))

If there's enough interest I can write it up.

Prototype was a male-male adapter, it worked fine, only the female USB cable from my head unit was just 6" too short to reach! So I had to repeat the work to create a 1ft male-male adapter cable instead. This is the 'prototype':

attachment.php

Works like this...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Prototype.jpg
    Prototype.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Prototype2.jpg
    Prototype2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,320
Last edited:
For the steering wheel...

Second, you can use the stock USB connection, but you have to run a USB cable to it and create a connector-adapter yourself. I've done this, but the steps are tricky - you have to be very handy with a Dremel - so I hadn't done a writeup (though I do have a prototype adapter I might be prepared to sell :))

If there's enough interest I can write it up.

Prototype was a male-male adapter, it worked fine, only the female USB cable from my head unit was just 6" too short to reach! So I had to repeat the work to create a 1ft male-male adapter cable instead. This is the 'prototype':

attachment.php

Works like this...

attachment.php

Redbaron, definitely write that up.

I may just fab up a two port insert so I can mirror my phone/app radio and use my ipod at the same time.

Been looking at the pioneer avhx4600 all morning. Anyone have any opinions on those? Would love to hear them!

I have a Pioneer AVH-X5500 in my CX5 Sport. Like it so far, HD radio is nice, app radio allows me to use MotionX GPS which is excellent and I can use it with my music playing. Bluetooth works well and DVD player sounds great. No complaints so far.

For those of you who put in an aftermarket headunit, What did you lose that was stock in the vehicle? Such as steering controls, USB in the center console, any bluetooth controls, AUX input, or backup camera? OR were able to keep all of them?

For those of you who put in an aftermarket headunit, What did you lose that was stock in the vehicle? Such as steering controls, USB in the center console, any bluetooth controls, AUX input, or backup camera? OR were able to keep all of them?

I lost the factory AUX input, and that's it. My new headunit has a line-in but I don't need it. If you have the Mazda touchscreen headunit already, you also lose the ability to customize the wiper/headlight/locking settings on the fly. I have them set how I like, so that's not a big deal, and if I need to change them I can just briefly reconnect the factory headunit.

Otherwise, steering controls work (and become programmable with aftermarket interfaces), center USB works (with adapter), bluetooth comes with the new headunit, and the backup camera works with a homemade adapter that is pretty easy to make and explained on this forum.

Last edited:

I bought a CX5 Sport manual with the standard stereo system that did not have back-up camera or Bluetooth. My new Pioneer head unit works with steering wheel controls with the adapter module purchased separately. USB in center console must be connected to the USB on the aftermarket head unit (if it has one) to keep it "live". Pioneer head unit has I-phone connection and AUX input if needed and is back-up camera ready. Also upgraded the speakers.

Hi folks. Just logged on today. I bought a 2014 cx5 about 3 weeks ago. I had the dealer order me the factory nav because they were not in stock. While I waited I found this site. Thank goodness. After seeing the shortcomings of the stereo and factory nav I canceled the order and got a Clarion nx603 from Crutchfield. Now I am up to the challenge of a proper install. I hooked it up and immediately got a hum from the unit. Came to 247 and found a write up about the pioneer head unit and the RCA out speaker hook ups. I assumed it would be the same for clarion so I was ready to purchase an adaptor from Crutchfield. They are sending them at no charge! I think I may try to hook up the stock camera at some point but not yet. Because of this site I have figured how to install the USB in the stock spot and also will run an aux mic to the stock location (also being sent by Crutchfield at no charge!) there is one thing I can't find though even though I know it's here somewhere. How do you get to the parking break lead to activate DVD in my head unit? Is it at the brake or is it accessible in the dash area? If it's at the brake, is there a step by step available? Thanks, and thanks for all the info already

Latest posts

Back