After timing belt/water pump service, experiencing rough idle and other problems

:
Mazda Protege 5, 2003
I just got the 105,000 miles service done on my 2003 MP5 (automatic), and am experiencing a rough idle that happens occasionally, not all the time. Also, when cruising up to about 40-45 mph at around 2000 rpm, the engine hesitates as if one cylinder is not firing properly and then it goes away. I noticed it right away after getting the car back from the shop, had the mechanic drive it around, but he didn't notice the problem.

None of these problems existed before this routine scheduled service, and am wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this issue. Thanks.

It sounds like your timing is off a tooth. Take it back and drive it with him in the car, replicate the problem and then ask him to check it again.

as has been said:

if you took it to him with it running fine, and he changed the timing belt - it's more than likely a tooth off.

I would tell the mechanic that you can hear the rough-idle by getting down a foot away from the front of the car. When you ask if he hears something...once he says no slam on the gas and run his **** ass over.

I had issues when I had my timing belt changed as well. I guess its an issue mechanics have to deal with less and less these days...
Mine wasn't quite a rough idle, but they still have yet to fix the two issues that came up after taking it back to them twice.
First, my accessory belt will squeal if I try to turn the air or heat on within 10 minutes of starting the car. They constantly say they are unable to reproduce the issue...
Second, my car now revs as high as 2000 rpms for a long while after starting the car, even in warmer temperatures. They just say this is completely normal.

I had issues when I had my timing belt changed as well. I guess its an issue mechanics have to deal with less and less these days...
Mine wasn't quite a rough idle, but they still have yet to fix the two issues that came up after taking it back to them twice.
First, my accessory belt will squeal if I try to turn the air or heat on within 10 minutes of starting the car. They constantly say they are unable to reproduce the issue...
Second, my car now revs as high as 2000 rpms for a long while after starting the car, even in warmer temperatures. They just say this is completely normal.

Yeah both are not normal for sure.

Nope, the mechanic / service manager can't make the jerking/hesitation happen when he drives it. He's recommending changing the plug wires (~8 months old!) and seeing if that solves the problem. Really?

Yep, same here. They say they can't fix a problem they can't see.

I would tell the mechanic that you can hear the rough-idle by getting down a foot away from the front of the car. When you ask if he hears something...once he says no slam on the gas and run his **** ass over.

Hmm ... "thinking out of the box" kind of solution.

Back