Advice: Wait for 2014 Mazda5 GT or Purchase a 2013 now?

Something to check is the sliding door lock assist. I hope it was just a battery that is not connected.
But I recently checked out the MAZDA5 GT at a dealer's show room here.
I noticed the sliding door did not perform its 'Lock assist' feature. You know the thing that pulls the door in when you take it
near the closing position.

Does this feature still exist in the New Mazda5's? If not then I will hold on to my 2006 GT.

The 2014 is out but the dealer said it's exactly the same. A carry-over model number bump only.

The 2013 has the usb and LED turn signals already if I'm not mistaken?

The 2014 adds a new color, too, Deep Crystal Blue. If I had the choice when I got my 2012, hands-down I would've purchased that blue. 100%. If it had the Skyactiv powertrain, I'd go trade for one in that color tomorrow.

The 2014 is out but the dealer said it's exactly the same.
i noticed that at the dealership last night, and the pricing is almost exactly the same as well. this worries me a lot, and the sales manager implied the end is coming in '15. Not that the sales manager of a local dealership knows diddly squat about product cycles, but the rumor is saddening.

anyone have thoughts? I'd hate to have bought the car a year before it got axed. otoh, maybe it means the replacement vehicle, if there's one, will come w/ the new motor, which it desperately needs.

Last edited:
I doubt they will axe it, it maybe a low volume seller in the states, but it competes with virtually nothing in the states.

i noticed that at the dealership last night, and the pricing is almost exactly the same as well. this worries me a lot, and the sales manager implied the end is coming in '15. Not that the sales manager of a local dealership knows diddly squat about product cycles, but the rumor is saddening.

anyone have thoughts? I'd have to have bought the car a year before it got axed. otoh, maybe it means the replacement vehicle, if there's one, will come w/ the new motor, which it desperately needs.
I think Mazds may technically axe the current Mz5 ad we know it but replace it with something else. I highly doubt they will leave the segment all together bc their US portfolio has no minivan. BUT their others cars are MUCH more successful so naturally they prob want to concentrate more on those. I hope they will replace it with a new gen MAV or bring back the MPV. Anyone heard if Mazda has a new MAV concept? Keep an eye out on the Japanese market Premacy and other people movers and should see where Mazda is going.

I find it hard to believe Mazda would kill the 5, but then again, I'm not part of the product planning group so I don't know the true ins and outs of that decision. The 5 sells steadily without ANY promotion or advertising budget. (when was the last time you saw a mz5 commercial on TV?) The advertising budget is focused on the SUVs, the high-volume mz3, and the image car MX-5 Miata. The 5 doesn't sell Toyota Sienna numbers, but it sells itself steadily each year without any help from Mazda.

Here are the annual sales volumes for the 5, Sienna, and Miata:

Mazda5

Sienna

Miata
(note: just because the Miata is the slowest seller of the Mazda family doesn't mean that they will cancel it, it is their "image" car, as I previously mentioned. Even though it doesn't sell big numbers, it is a very important car to Mazda.)

Last edited:
sac02 thanks for the 5 numbers. interesting even on the businest car selling day in america in the last... 10 years? the 5 only did half the numbers this year as last, and less than 2011 (before the remodeling). if that doesn't scream "axe", i don't know..

i randomly found this supposedly design study of the '15 the premacy, but who knows?

also, i'd like this blue ambient light in my car!
top_option04_img_01.jpg

I would love to see the MPV come back the the states with a 2.2L SkyActive D with twin turbos. AWD would only sweeten the deal.

Making a mini-van from a compact sedan is/was a fantastic idea!! Putting suspension parts made of paper-mache onto it in order to keep the price down... not such a good idea. But as soon as you swap out the struts, shocks and sway-bar bushings, for even cheap Munroe or KYB parts, the suspension issues are solved. Go with something upmarket like the Koni FSD's and you'll want to try and throw a turbo in her.

It never should have left the factory with those suspension parts... if they had spent another $300 (and charged another $500) per vehicle and all would have been fine.

I bought a used 2007 Mazda5 GT (black) a month ago and thankfully the previous owner put KYB shocks on it 2 years ago. They are still good. Drives real nice!

sac02 thanks for the 5 numbers. interesting even on the businest car selling day in america in the last... 10 years? the 5 only did half the numbers this year as last, and less than 2011 (before the remodeling). if that doesn't scream "axe", i don't know..

i randomly found this supposedly design study of the '15 the premacy, but who knows?
Nice find. It does look like the current car + a minor nip/tuck + kodo front end. That grill is waaay too big and looking more like Acura’s buck tooth grill. It looks like someone give it a shot to update the car but ultimately the bean counters decide the car's fate.

If the car lives on but under a new name is it considered as axing the Mazda5? I don't think the "5" naming fits the car. It needs something to separate it from the 2/3/6 like now the CX, RX, MX naming.

Last edited:

top_option04_img_01.jpg
The bottom picture is of the current gen 2 car. I even have these blue lights in my footwells on my UK model.

The bottom picture is of the current gen 2 car. I even have these blue lights in my footwells on my UK model.
right.

it's so friggin weird that you can get a Mazda5 DISI i-stop in UK and the US, which I assume is the second largest m5 market in the world, only gets the old crappy 2.5L's w/ no ambient light. Clearly I live in a crappy country.

Last edited:
right.

it's so friggin weird that you can get a Mazda5 DISI i-stop in UK and in the US, which I assume is the second largest m5 market in the world, only gets the old crappy 2.5L's w/ no ambient light. Clearly I live in a crappy country.

Lol. Not to rub it in, but the trunk ambient lighting is also a lovely blue as well. :)

top_option04_img_01.jpg

I like the look of the front end...I hope they make it and soon. I don't know why in America we get the least in amenities (freak)

Back