Advice on rear suspention strength

shadowncs

:
P5, 2002 full stock
Hi all,
a week ago I slid and hit a curb with my protege5. Bent rear right suspension, car is now at the mechanic.
It was obvious that the lateral links are bent. They changed those and they called back saying the wheel is still off by 1 degree. I'm talking about toe in angle here, that was completely wrecked. Now they say I need the damn spindle as well, a quite expensive piece requiring a lot of work.

I'm thinking this shouldn't have happened, since the lateral links bent absorbing the impact. I've asked them to keep the original spindle, I'd like to get that tested to see if they shafted me on this one.

1. Does it make any sense having the spindle bent? I was going quite slow (think 5mph) when it happened, slid laterally into a tall curb. Empty car.
2. Anyone know how I can test the old spindle see if it's bent?

I'm very unpleasantly surprised by the weakness of rear suspension. Can't believe the rim (aluminium) is not bent at all and almost all rear suspension on right is wrecked.

If the spindle is bent only enough to cause a 1 degree error the bend cannot be detected visually. I assume the shop checked it on an alignment machine. If the new spindle corrects the problem you have to assume the spindle was the bent.

What gets damaged on impact depends on what part of the wheel assembly impacted the curb, maybe is was only the tire. It's not too unusual for a spindle to bend on a side impact.

Clifton

OK thanks for the reply.
The rim edge hit the curb directly so there was no rubber in between to absorb the impact - except the suspension bushings I guess. Clearly not enough.
I'm pondering going with steel rims, at least they bend and are cheap, compared to a $1000 suspension job.

Back