Accident & Bumper Damage

nubbers

:
2016 CX-5 GT Sonic Silver
I was rear-ended after work on Monday while merging onto the highway. Traffic was heavy and just as I made it into the right lane a 2012 Honda Accord coupe merged behind me and smacked my rear bumper. The other driver is 19-years-old with a new license; he had just picked up his car from having work done (it is a salvage title and apparently a magnet for bad luck). I almost lost my $hit when I saw there wasn't a plate on the car - he was using his father's dealer license, which was barely propped up in the back window. A NYS State Trooper came by for an accident report as did his mom to apologize to me.

I didn't have time to upload pics yet w/all of the kid end of school year sports, concerts, etc. - I will attempt to do so tomorrow. By way of damage, the bumper is cracked at the top where it sandwiched upward and the brackets broke through the middle. No damage to the hatch, although when the bumper pushed upward it scratched the paint on the underside lip. I plan to get some quotes today, but below are a few questions given that after 25 years of driving this is my first accident:

1) Given the cracked and broken plastic, am I correct in assuming the bumper will be replaced? I suspect there may be some damage behind it as well.

2) If full replacement of the bumper, does it come black and the shop paints it to match factory? My 2016 CX-5 is Sonic Silver - should I be concerned that it won't match? Will they need to blend into the rear fender? Is collision shop paint often as good as factory?

3) I will point out the scratched bottom lip of the hatch, but I don't want the shop to repaint if not necessary. If nicked up, any opinion about having them brush touch and clear? No one really sees that part anyway - I just want to prevent any potential for corrosion.

4) My BSM still works after the accident - not certain about rear/cross-traffic. Should I push to have the sensors replaced?

5) There are lots of collision shops in my area - some of which are very reputable. That said, I am inclined to take it back to the dealer collision shop. Any thoughts or opinions if the dealer presents an upside for parts and familiarity w/the car?

As a side note, I did not yet have the recall done on my car (fuel filler pipe). The first thought that went through my mind after being hit was ruh-roh...leaking gas! No such problem, but rest assured I'll have the recall done now!!

While things can always be worse, I am not a happy camper. I only have 4,000 miles on the car and take good care of my automobiles. I plan to keep the car for a long time, but I hate to think that this will now show up in a vehicle history report. Moreover, I don't want there to be any additional issues down the road.

I plan to pay my deductible to get it fixed sooner while letting my insurance company duke it out with his (they will repay me the deductible later as I don't know how he can found not at fault). Thanks in advance for your input.

Sorry to hear your incident. The feeling of having the first accident in 25 years definitely is not good, especially happened on a brand-new car with only 4,000 miles!

Firstly, you shouldn't use your own insurance to cover the fix otherwise not only you've to pay the deductible but also your premium may increase. And you'll never know if the party at fault would pay back to your deductible later. They may even use this, you used your own insurance to pay for the damage, as an evidence accusing you as the one who caused the accident! Use the offender's insurance as it's not your fault.

Secondly, I feel the same trying to save factory paint as long as possible. But sometimes things happen and you have to do what is necessary. The rear bumper needs to be replaced and repainted. There's no way around it unless you can find one from salvage yard. Depending on how severe the scratches are on your liftgate, the whole liftgate may need repainting too. I'd get at least one estimate from Mazda dealer, another one from a reputable body shop which offers lifetime paint warranty. I personally would prefer dealer's body shop if it has one, or a body shop dealer uses or recommends.

Thirdly, you can try to get BSM radar sensors replaced but I doubt any body shop can help you on this as they don't have proper equipment to test them out. Mazda dealer is the only hope.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about the accident. It really sucks when you are not at fault and you are a careful car owner. My own experience with body shop located within the dealer (Honda) was that they did a great job and the paint work is indistinguishable from factory.

Don't believe Sonic Silver is a special 3 - 4 coats process like Soul Red so hopefully it is not too hard to replicate. I do sometimes wonders how an ordinary body shop can replicate the Mazda's Soul Red colour.

Given the amount of electronic sensors embedded onto modern cars bumpers, my feeling is that it is best to go with the dealer body shop as the dealer can also take care all of the electronics. I suspect you will be paying the same deductible regardless of which body shop you choose, you might as well go for the dealer body shop.

Sorry to hear your incident. The feeling of having the first accident in 25 years definitely is not good, especially happened on a brand-new car with only 4,000 miles!

Firstly, you shouldn't use your own insurance to cover the fix otherwise not only you've to pay the deductible but also your premium may increase. And you'll never know if the party at fault would pay back to your deductible later. They may even use this, you used your own insurance to pay for the damage, as an evidence accusing you as the one who caused the accident! Use the offender's insurance as it's not your fault.

Secondly, I feel the same trying to save factory paint as long as possible. But sometimes things happen and you have to do what is necessary. The rear bumper needs to be replaced and repainted. There's no way around it unless you can find one from salvage yard. Depending on how severe the scratches are on your liftgate, the whole liftgate may need repainting too. I'd get at least one estimate from Mazda dealer, another one from a reputable body shop which offers lifetime paint warranty. I personally would prefer dealer's body shop if it has one, or a body shop dealer uses or recommends.

Thirdly, you can try to get BSM radar sensors replaced but I doubt any body shop can help you on this as they don't have proper equipment to test them out. Mazda dealer is the only hope.

Good luck!
I always went through my insurance company first. They've always done all the legwork and have gone after the other party to recover the deductible. Makes things a lot easier. No, my rates have never gone up because of this. Maybe rules are different down there in Texas. Up here if you're rear-ended it's automatically the other person's fault.

I've been rear-ended twice in my CX5. Back bumper cover will run about $800 to $900 including paint if no other damage was done behind.

I have done both dealer and independent shops. Pick a good one. Try to go with one who will give a lifetime warranty on work. If you notice anything not working correctly back there mention it now. If a good independent shop finds anything electrical wrong they'll most likely go to a dealer. Mine did.

Last edited:
The blind spot sensors are nothing to do with the parking sensors, they are quite substantial black boxes that sit behind the bumper somewhere about in line with the rear lights. If the BSM is working so will the crass traffic alert (you can easily test it at the supermarket). They will be expensive and my feeling is you've got no chance of getting them replaced unless one is physically damaged.

In order to match the paint they are going to have to blend half way down the rear door and half way up the rear hatch then melt it in. Only way a poly can be done.

In order to match the paint they are going to have to blend half way down the rear door and half way up the rear hatch then melt it in. Only way a poly can be done.

Not true. A good body shop can match perfectly these days. My rear hatch and bumper cover were painted separately without any body panel blending. Also had my roof repainted at a later date from the dealer with no blending. Perfect match. The Soul Red might be a different story. Mine is the Meteor Gray.

Last edited:
Not true. A good body shop can match perfectly these days. My rear hatch and bumper cover were painted separately without any body panel blending. Also had my roof repainted at a later date from the dealer with no blending. Perfect match. The Soul Red might be a different story. Mine is the Meteor Gray.

Mine is Soul Red and I absolutely love it. But I keep hearing people speculating about how difficult it is to color-match. Has anyone here heard about or seen paint work done on Soul Red? How good/bad was it?

I always went through my insurance company first. They've always done all the legwork and have gone after the other party to recover the deductible. Makes things a lot easier. No, my rates have never gone up because of this. Maybe rules are different down there in Texas. Up here if you're rear-ended it's automatically the other person's fault.

I've been rear-ended twice in my CX5. Back bumper cover will run about $800 to $900 including paint if no other damage was done behind.

I have done both dealer and independent shops. Pick a good one. Try to go with one who will give a lifetime warranty on work. If you notice anything not working correctly back there mention it now. If a good independent shop finds anything electrical wrong they'll most likely go to a dealer. Mine did.

I would only go to shops which offer Lifetime Warranty, a reputable company with multiple locations in the region (ex. 3 states in that area), and are heavily geared towards obtaining your 100% positive review of them. Trust me these 3 factors helps to ensure short term satisfaction but with long term peace of mind. I went to a Service King here in AZ but if I were to move back to Cali they've got locations there too.

Nothing against single privately owned shops but what if I move like 50 miles away let alone 2 states over and my paint peels or some workmanship related problem occurs 3 years later?

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. I went for two estimates this morning - one local, reputable shop and back to my dealer (the experience couldn't have been more stark).

At the shop, the Collision Manager spent a great deal of time w/me to answer my questions, inspect the damage, and take pictures. Having looked under the car, he doesn't see any damage beyond the bumper cover, but will obviously give more thorough inspection once the cover is off. As for the hatch, he felt the nick in the paint and spoke w/my insurance company which approved a spray/blend of clear to ensure an additional layer of protection. Total cost is ~$800 and three days in the shop (they can get me in next Monday). I really left with the sense he understood my want/desire to get this done right. As a plus, he worked at a Mazda dealership prior to joining this shop 10-years ago and is familiar with the brand. Their paint guy has also been at the shop for 20 years.

At the dealer, the estimator seemed more impatient with my questions. She did little to reassure me that their work was sound - response was "we paint Honda and Mazda models all the time" (they sell both and VW). She didn't really even bother to take a close look at the hatch and simply said the damage is only cosmetic - not to worry. They will work to the same aforementioned cost, but cannot start the work until 6/24.

My gut tells me to go with the collision shop. I am very comfortable with their approach and emphasis on customer service - evident by their positive online reviews. I actually just spoke with the manager again and he offered to do sample paint swatches to show me the match. I'm on my way there after work to see before solidifying my decision.

BTW...the shop guarantees their work for as long as I own the car. My insurance company guarantees the same and will fix it at any shop w/in their network if I were to move, need repair, etc. Double the peace of mind...not too shabby.

Say what you want about the blending. A poly, Mica, and pearl is going to be blended. They will say oh no just painting that panel. Bullpucky.

Mine is Soul Red and I absolutely love it. But I keep hearing people speculating about how difficult it is to color-match. Has anyone here heard about or seen paint work done on Soul Red? How good/bad was it?

Mine had a small touch up in the rear bumper and you can't figure how big the spot it. I am picky and I can see a couple tiny sanding marks but I can't spot the paint difference and they did not paint the entire bumper...I was surprised to say the least.

Well...my car went in for repair this morning. The collision shop said I should have it back by Thursday barring any new discoveries once the bumper is off. In the meantime, I was provided a Chrysler 200 rental...very few nice interior features and a completely soulless driving experience. Looking forward to the return of my CX-5.

Attached are some photos of the bumper from that the collision shop took for insurance purposes. The lip of the hatch was abraded, but it was too challenging to snap a pic. As previously noted, the collision shop will be spraying some clear to cover the lip/leading edge. I'll post photo some after shots as well.

Perhaps a novice question, but temps here are in the low/mid-90's...any effect on a paint repair job such as this?

Attachments

• Bumper 1.png
    Bumper 1.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Bumper 2.png
    Bumper 2.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Bumper 3.png
    Bumper 3.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Bumper 4 - Broken Bracket.png
    Bumper 4 - Broken Bracket.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 183
Well...my car went in for repair this morning. The collision shop said I should have it back by Thursday barring any new discoveries once the bumper is off. In the meantime, I was provided a Chrysler 200 rental...very few nice interior features and a completely soulless driving experience. Looking forward to the return of my CX-5.

Attached are some photos of the bumper from that the collision shop took for insurance purposes. The lip of the hatch was abraded, but it was too challenging to snap a pic. As previously noted, the collision shop will be spraying some clear to cover the lip/leading edge. I'll post photo some after shots as well.

Perhaps a novice question, but temps here are in the low/mid-90's...any effect on a paint repair job such as this?

You will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory higher temps = higher chances of orange peel

But a good shop should have their paint booth in a shaded area or in a climate controlled garage.

Back