AC Expansion Valve Replacement

flowfish

:
2003 Protege5
I'm about to change my compressor, receiver/drier, and condenser and I see it is recommended to change the expansion valve. Looking in the manual, it seems like this is a pretty complicated procedure....has anyone attempted it? If so a few questions....do you need to take the entire cooling unit out of the glovebox area or can the expansion valve be accessed while it is still in? If it does need to be removed, is there a special tool to disconnect the Cooler Hose at the firewall? Any tips or recommendations would be great, thanks.

I think you'd have to remove it. When I pulled all of my stuff out I dont remember there being a whole lot of room to work down there. It's not exactly difficult, but its definately not very fun,.

I'm about to change my compressor, receiver/drier, and condenser and I see it is recommended to change the expansion valve. Looking in the manual, it seems like this is a pretty complicated procedure....has anyone attempted it? If so a few questions....do you need to take the entire cooling unit out of the glovebox area or can the expansion valve be accessed while it is still in? If it does need to be removed, is there a special tool to disconnect the Cooler Hose at the firewall? Any tips or recommendations would be great, thanks.

You will need an A/C line quick disconnect tool.

The Evaporator box will need to come out, but it can be done without removing the entire dash. It's a tight fit, but I was able to get it out. All and all I think it took me about 1.5 hours.

Back